Electronics in DCA

It's going to be *excellent* for DCA.

Will there be corps that implement amplification poorly? Sure. But there are a number of corps that can't implement a good brass program either. Corps that *want* to do it well, will do it well. Amplification is no different than anything else. Will there be growing pains? Absolutely. But there were with every other innovation in the the history of the activity.

I spent time at the Scranton show listening to the pits, and there was clear cases of front ensembles that would be impacted greatly to the positive once the new rule is in place.

The sky is not falling, and the world is not ending.

all I hope for is that DCA judging has the balls to punish balance issues since DCI does not

all I hope for is that DCA judging has the balls to punish balance issues since DCI does not

DCI does, actually, but it's rare. I've had tapes where it's been talked about...credited and criticized. But it's not the norm. We got far more feedback in critiques than we got on most tapes. We've had this discussion before...it's all in the training.

I have no idea what DCA does for training, so I have no idea how this will work on their end. Given the music ensemble tapes I have heard when I was teaching, I'm not hopeful it will be discussed either way.

Edited by Kamarag

One of the issues I have had with DCI is they do not address theses issues.

If you are going to use electronics to gain some sort of perceived and implied competitive advantage then when things go wrong with the electronics it should be counted greatly against you.

I know we do not live in the tick system but let's face it snap crackle and pop is annoying to anyone. Feedback is annoying and detracts from the overall enjoyment of the program.

If the pit is amped for the majority of the show and standing water issues forces them to pull the p,ug that should also be reflected in the scores because clearly there are going to be some balance issues. Let's face it. You hear XYZ corps book on one night with a amped pit and hear them the very next night without the amped pit you are NOT going to hear e same show. If you do hear the same show there is clearly something wrong with your hearing or drum corps intellect.

In other words if you want a competivly advantage for doing it right then bravo! EARN THAT! Do it sloppy wrong or half backed and get punished for it. PERIOD!

My guess is DCA will follow DCI and just ignore it

• Like 1

Something that I am willing to bet that is going to crop up and be a logistical nightmare for DCA corps that has not Nessecary been a issue for DCI.

You are assuming that show sponcors are going to have in their control to have electronic outlets available and working at these small DCA High School Base shows throughout the regions.

Generally speaking DCI has a laundry list of upper teir schools that they have worked with over the years and generally the facilities are generally speaking a few notches higher than what DCA can afford.

As we just saw with The Bushwackers show things are not always in the hands of the show sponcors control. I distinctly remember a showion 2008 where the lights in the back field would not turn on the day of the show so the show had to go on with no lights on the back field. What if the outlets would not turn on? No outlets no electronics!

I can only imagine the logistical nightmares and possible additional liability electronics will cause show sponcors when going to select show sites and dealing with insurance companies. They hear you talking about plugging in electronics in possible rainy conditions????? Imagine that for a second.

I only see this costing DCA corps more money in the long run.

But just about all the schools that DCA uses that I have seen already host band shows during the fall that utilize electronics. There shouldn't be any real difference between the two, other than DCA will use and need less as they don't have electronic equipment such as guitars and synths.

But just about all the schools that DCA uses that I have seen already host band shows during the fall that utilize electronics. There shouldn't be any real difference between the two, other than DCA will use and need less as they don't have electronic equipment such as guitars and synths.

You have not seen HS campus's in other regions. While some have been outstanding.. some have been sort of hum ho. Not always the fault of the show sponcor BTW.

The DCA schedule is different than the Fall Band Schedule. A lot of HS campus are not mantained during the summer months. Many HS campus are still revamping the campus during our scheulde and doing routine maintaince. Some scheduled.... some not scheduled. Note my refference to the 2008 show where the backfield lights would not turn on for the show. Things happen.

And the sewer pipe broke in Kingston right before the show (2004 or 2005) and there were the grossest flies everywhere. Yes things do happen but if we put up every possible scenario of what COULD happen, we should really just fold the whole activity now.

I mean really, for all the accidents that happen, over the years, it is amazing that this thing is still chugging along. BUT IT IS. Let's look towards positive stuff instead of always digging to find the crappier aspects and possibilities.

• Like 1

Getting back on this topic. I had to get to a pc and away from my phone.

The year was 2007. The corps was Bluecoats with their show entitled Criminal that was heavily influanced by electronics and narration. Overal not a bad show and not a bad use of narration of electonics if your into those sort of marching band shows :) I digress

Quarterfinals found them with their sound system in a disabled mode so the show had to go on without electonics. A reasonable person would think that their score would drastically drop that night yes????? This was not the case. They did drop a bit but it was marginal and if memory serves me it was because of percussion and not electronics related.

I think it was Last years (2012) Quater Finals when Steve Rondinaro made a excellent point about one of the corps performances that night having some major feedback problems with the electronics and how it will effect the judging and Will Pitts quickly jumped in with his spin on the issue and responded to the effect that you cannot allow a minor feedback issue to negativly effect a overal great performance or some words to that effect.

Again I stand on high grounds if you bring the girl to the dance you better darn well dance with her. If you hope to gain a competive advantage with electronics then you better be willing to take a hit when things go bad.

Edited by camel lips
  • Like 2