Would a trombone solo be allowed?

I think a Mahler 3 show would be really cool and the trombone solo would be a really cool preshow or something. How about a French Horn solo or feature?

Why aren't these kinds of things being discussed but woodwinda are?

Woodwind solos are being spoken about???? Are you sure? I find that very hard to believe

I think a Mahler 3 show would be really cool and the trombone solo would be a really cool preshow or something. How about a French Horn solo or feature?

Why aren't these kinds of things being discussed but woodwinda are?

A trombone is a bell-forward brass instrument, which is how I believe legal instruments are defined in the rules, so I suspect yes. But, just to irritate us old guys, make it a 'G' trombone.

-edited for more gooder english

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

Woodwind solos are being spoken about???? Are you sure? I find that very hard to believe

Not solos, but just inclusion in drum corp. Hopkins supports it. -shrug-

A trombone is a bell-forward brass instrument, which is how I believe legal instruments are defined in the rules, so I suspect yes. But, just to irritate us old guys, make it a 'G' trombone.

-edited for more gooder english

It has to be a valved instrument, I think. There are semantics there, but I don't think trombones are allowed as yet during the judged show.

• Like 1

I'm actually not sure if it's legal or not. (no valves?)

In the event that it is legal, here's the problems trombones create for DCI desingers:

* Trombone doesn't blend well with the established judging of how a brassline should sound. They create a more bright sound simply by nature of the instrument. With all the hub-ub of "dark" and "rich" sounds the trombone unfortunately gets the short end of the stick.

* Financially if you already have Bari/Euph lines then there's not really any point in creating more headaches for yourself by adding a trombone line to the mix. You've probably gotta hire a tech and take care of all the specific issues that come with playing trombone. I imagine the slide creates much more problems just based on how easily it can be dented and essentially "broken", especially compared to a baritone/euph. It's kinda similar to why Flugelhorns were phased out; the mello and lower sop line already fills that voice with less headaches.

* Writing drill would likely become a pain. Trombones are long instruments, and even in comparison to euphs/baritones probably less durable. Visually they would stick out as well, essentially interrupting the corps proper look in a similar way that woodwinds do in marching bands.

* It's pretty similar to reasons you don't see French Horns in DCI.

You might be saying to yourself "But... corps do stuff all the time spending money on electronics and microphones and narration and props... why not experiment with other brass instruments?! They talk a big game of being risky and innovative, but they aren't ever willing to try things that are obviously not going to be competitively safe for them!! What a bunch of panzies!". If so, good for you.

Edited by NR_Ohiobando
  • Like 1

A trombone would only be legal if used in the per-show. Once official judging starts, it becomes an illegal instrument. This on.y applies if you actually play it. Jersey surf used one as a prop last year, but never played it. That's perfectly legal.

Edited by Kamarag

I sure hope they don't allow woodwinds.........i seriously doubt they ever will, I don't think they would ever be heard over the brass. Why spend a whole bunch of money incorporating woodwinds into dci when they wouldn't even be heard, the corps could use that money for more practical issues.

• Like 1