What folded corps do you miss the most?

My first corps, the Fox Valley Raiders, and all those long-gone mid-western corps we competed against: Emerald Knights, Knights of Geneseo, Wausau Story, the Vaqueros, Illiana Lancers, Nisei Ambassadors, Flying Dutchmen, Skokie Imperials, Silver Sabers, General Butler Vagabonds, Marquis, and many more...

I miss the Kilties, the Bridgemen, and especially the Pride of Cincinnati. That city's loss was our gain - a big chunk of the great '85 Suncoast low brass section were people that came over from Pride.

As far as competing in DCI goes, and that is what we're talking about here, Star is dead. Does it matter if it was cancer or a heart attack? Not to me, they are gone. So folded versus retired from the field of competition is just arguing because it's fun to argue. They're gone. I miss them.

• Like 5

As far as competing in DCI goes, and that is what we're talking about here, Star is dead. Does it matter if it was cancer or a heart attack?

Agreed... Star of Indiana is finished in DCI. Why they are dead is as unimportant as any other Corps in DCI's death ( and all those corps whose death predeceased DCI too ) and theres no need to argue on why they are dead. We all miss all these Corps, and of course the once great Star of Indiania Corps that perished 21 years ago.

Edited by BRASSO

Dutch Boy.

Listed below are all the DCI World Class Finalist ( TOP 12 ) Drum Corps from the DCI era that are no longer with us. While placement is no qualifyer to ever miss a now extinct Drum Corps ( I miss LOTS of Corps not on this list for example ), it does give us for reference purposes some of the Corps that were once good enough to become a DCI World Class Top 12 Finalist Corps, even if only for one season. My aplologies if I missed any Corps that attained such status.. but sadly are no longer with us competing in DCI.

Sky Ryders

Bleu Raeders

Star of Indiana

Anaheim Kingsmen

Dutch Boy

Des Plaines Vanguard

Royal Crusaders

Suncoast Sound

27th Lancers

Seneca Optimists

Argonne Rebels

Glassmen

Bayonne Bridgemen

Magic of Orlando

Racine Kilties

Velvet Knights

North Star

Freelancers

Commodores

Hawthorne Muchachos

Belleville Black Knights

De La Salle Oakland Crusaders

Purple Lancers

Shaumburg Guardsmen

Also, of the 39 Corps that competed in DCI's top division Prelims in the 1st DCI Championships in 1972, 32 of these 39 Corps are no longer with us competing in DCI.

Edited by BRASSO

As far as competing in DCI goes, and that is what we're talking about here, Star is dead. Does it matter if it was cancer or a heart attack? Not to me, they are gone. So folded versus retired from the field of competition is just arguing because it's fun to argue. They're gone. I miss them.

True, and I get that the spirit of the the thread is more about corps that are no longer here. I guess it was just the picky part of my brain making one of its rare appearances lol. With that said it made me think, have any corps other than Star left DCI like they did or were all the other "deaths" the result of folding. I can't think of any but Star off the top of my head that left of their own will to become a different performing entity.

True, and I get that the spirit of the the thread is more about corps that are no longer here. I guess it was just the picky part of my brain making one of its rare appearances lol. With that said it made me think, have any corps other than Star left DCI like they did or were all the other "deaths" the result of folding. I can't think of any but Star off the top of my head that left of their own will to become a different performing entity.

Some nationally ranked top Junior Corps opted not to join up with DCI when DCI was formed... that decision, at least in part, resulted in their untimely death shortly thereafter. But to my knowledge, Star of Indiana's " death "as a competing DCI Drum Corps was of their own choosing, and to that extent anyway, this does making their passing somewhat unique within DCI it would appear.

Edited by BRASSO

Listed below are all the DCI World Class Finalist ( TOP 12 ) Drum Corps from the DCI era that are no longer with us. While placement is no qualifyer to ever miss a now extinct Drum Corps ( I miss LOTS of Corps not on this list for example ), it does give us for reference purposes some of the Corps that were once good enough to become a DCI World Class Top 12 Finalist Corps, even if only for one season. My aplologies if I missed any Corps that attained such status.. but sadly are no longer with us competing in DCI.

Sky Ryders

Bleu Raeders

Star of Indiana

Anaheim Kingsmen

Dutch Boy

Des Plaines Vanguard

Royal Crusaders

Suncoast Sound

27th Lancers

Seneca Optimists

Argonne Rebels

Glassmen

Bayonne Bridgemen

Magic of Orlando

Racine Kilties

Velvet Knights

North Star

Freelancers

Commodores

Hawthorne Muchachos

Belleville Black Knights

De La Salle Oakland Crusaders

Purple Lancers

Shaumburg Guardsmen

Also, of the 39 Corps that competed in DCI's top division Prelims in the 1st DCI Championships in 1972, 32 of these 39 Corps are no longer with us competing in DCI.

Damnation, Brasso, not only did you put my dear old Guardsmen last, you misspelled "Schaumburg". What a scoundrel you are!