2014 Show Predictions

It is sad for me to see so much shifting in uniforms by corps within the last twelve years either because the ego of a new drill designer demands it or corps try to break the rut they think they are in. With so many expenses in the maintenance of the activity and while tour fees spiral upward, this change for the sake of change seems an extravagent waste in light of the poverty of corps and the general poverty of so many individuals today. I am not against replacing worn equiptment or parts that are unuseable for another season because they are tattered and torn without possibility of good repair. I am referring to the current marketing by the uniform companies to make a buck off the activity at the expense of tradition AND the fact that if a corps can't march well, a new uniform won't change it, although it might mask some of it. The Crossmen's uniforms in the current form are very exposed and vunerable to viewing any deficiencies in excellent performance on the visual sheets. All black uniforms and all white uniforms always are;; there is no place to hide. One of the reasons the Crossmen of old dropped their superman capes from their tradition was that the capes tended to make the visual performance look sloppy while masking some fazing, etc. Until the current corps can master how to march (look at the videos of the Protest show when the "police line" confronts the protesters,) no uniform will improve the scores no matter what verbiage and dazzle a manufacturer puts with the fabric presentation. Boredom is really anger turned inward any psychologist will tell you. Boredom with an image is an anger of frustration with one's own limits of being less than excellent. Only the manufacturers profit from these changes. And no, not every DCI finalist corps nor others get their new unis for free. That's a myth said by people who have never had to account for where corps finances come and go. 22 different flags for an eleven minute show would be another waste...and an exaggeration to make a point. Red neg all you want. Look at the score sheets!!! Look at the large financial deficits too many corps are carrying.

So.......it doesn't matter what uniform a corps like the Crossmen (using your example) wears if they can't march well. This is understood. But you think their current uniform is not very good regardless of that judgment as it exposes the deficiencies in visual performance too much. So then examining all of this as it relates to your complaints about corps switching uniforms too often, wouldn't a uniform change for that specific corps (they've had this all-black look now for, what, ten years? with only one finalist placement in all that time) be a change that would actually make sense, given the exposure issues you mention? Or should they wait until they develop a better marching program before they make a change (even though keeping the current all-black look during that development process would just continue to make mediocre or poor marching look even poorer)?

• Like 1

I'm thinking:

Cadets - From Shiloh to Gettysburg - Attempting to tie into their Pennsylvania home base with a local theme while repairing relationships with their Southern fanbase, the Cadets build a show around the much-requested soundtrack to Glory. But the judges are confused when the corps, having decided to eschew the "implements of war" in their guard equipment choices, re-enact Pickett's Charge using giant commas and lightning bolts. And the Southern appeal strategy fails spectacularly at the Southeastern Regional when the finale, depicting the burning of Atlanta, starts a riot in the Georgia Dome, and the rampaging crowd spreads into the staging tunnel and all of BD's props for the year (bunk beds on wheels, one for each pair of MMs) are destroyed.

Well if Cadets are no longer using weapons of war, the lightning bolts may be out of the question since Zeus used them as weapons. On a more serious note that perhaps should be in the music corps should do thread, a tribute to Gettysburg and music from "Gettysburg" and "Lincoln" would have been a great show for a corps last year I honor of the 150th anniversary of the battle, well at least history buffs like me.

So.......it doesn't matter what uniform a corps like the Crossmen (using your example) wears if they can't march well. This is understood. But you think their current uniform is not very good regardless of that judgment as it exposes the deficiencies in visual performance too much. So then examining all of this as it relates to your complaints about corps switching uniforms too often, wouldn't a uniform change for that specific corps (they've had this all-black look now for, what, ten years? with only one finalist placement in all that time) be a change that would actually make sense, given the exposure issues you mention? Or should they wait until they develop a better marching program before they make a change (even though keeping the current all-black look during that development process would just continue to make mediocre or poor marching look even poorer)?

Thank you for your clarifying questions which have me reviewing the better ways I could present my thinking. This is approximately the same beef with uniform changes: does the new uniform supply a suitable support to enhance sound basic skills already being performed excellently, is it merely a mask to hide the units' weaknesses and distract one's attention from them, or is it change for the sake of change which may not improve either the excellence nor cover the weaknesses. Unfortunately, my assessment is that the third alternative is the one too readily embraced in our current drum corps culture and that the other two aspects don't get the attention they deserve. I only use the Crossmen and some obvious deficiencies in the training beyond the uniform choice as an example. The Crossmen have worn a black top/ black or white pants since they left the all grey uniforms from their first years and in those colors they have been finalists umpteen times. The current mode is a streamline version which is more vunerable (same as Regiment without the capes, Boston in their Cadet styles, Crown in cream, and Cadets whether maroon or cream.) Though vunerable, the excellence is more apparent when the visual basics are mastered and presented without apology. Exposure allows the audience and other judges to see the demand more clearly. If the basics are mastered, this is a plus. If they are not, a new uniform will continue the same scoring stagnation once the initial novelty wears off. A WGI pajama suit like SCV's '12 guard wore or Oregon Crusaders' '13 wore may actually make the deficiencies more apparent, which is why SCV's use was very, very clever with the mosaic they portrayed. To think that a new uni is a panacea to Crossmen's stagnant scoring is not q.e.d. That's all.

Thank you for your clarifying questions which have me reviewing the better ways I could present my thinking. This is approximately the same beef with uniform changes: does the new uniform supply a suitable support to enhance sound basic skills already being performed excellently, is it merely a mask to hide the units' weaknesses and distract one's attention from them, or is it change for the sake of change which may not improve either the excellence nor cover the weaknesses. Unfortunately, my assessment is that the third alternative is the one too readily embraced in our current drum corps culture and that the other two aspects don't get the attention they deserve. I only use the Crossmen and some obvious deficiencies in the training beyond the uniform choice as an example. The Crossmen have worn a black top/ black or white pants since they left the all grey uniforms from their first years and in those colors they have been finalists umpteen times. The current mode is a streamline version which is more vunerable (same as Regiment without the capes, Boston in their Cadet styles, Crown in cream, and Cadets whether maroon or cream.) Though vunerable, the excellence is more apparent when the visual basics are mastered and presented without apology. Exposure allows the audience and other judges to see the demand more clearly. If the basics are mastered, this is a plus. If they are not, a new uniform will continue the same scoring stagnation once the initial novelty wears off. A WGI pajama suit like SCV's '12 guard wore or Oregon Crusaders' '13 wore may actually make the deficiencies more apparent, which is why SCV's use was very, very clever with the mosaic they portrayed. To think that a new uni is a panacea to Crossmen's stagnant scoring is not q.e.d. That's all.

I doubt scores/competitive success are any sort of factor in the timing of this decision. From what I understand (maybe some alumni can chime in and help me out), Crossmen have been using the same set of jackets and pants since 2004, altering only the epaulettes, sash, and aussies on occasion. That's 10 seasons of wear and tear. Compare that to the rest of world class, where it seems remarkable for a corps to even go 4 or 5 seasons without a change. Plus, trends in uniform design change over time, just like trends in real-world fashion, and the current look is getting somewhat dated (especially the sequined sash, haven't seen many of those around for quite a few years). IMO, new uniforms for the Crossmen are overdue, and much more justified than the frequent changes we see many other corps go through.

• Like 1

I doubt scores/competitive success are any sort of factor in the timing of this decision. From what I understand (maybe some alumni can chime in and help me out), Crossmen have been using the same set of jackets and pants since 2004, altering only the epaulettes, sash, and aussies on occasion. That's 10 seasons of wear and tear. Compare that to the rest of world class, where it seems remarkable for a corps to even go 4 or 5 seasons without a change. Plus, trends in uniform design change over time, just like trends in real-world fashion, and the current look is getting somewhat dated (especially the sequined sash, haven't seen many of those around for quite a few years). IMO, new uniforms for the Crossmen are overdue, and much more justified than the frequent changes we see many other corps go through.

Good point. The basic look has remained the same and if it's because the actual jacket and pants are the same and they just rearranged or tweaked the accessories, that would make sense. Ten years IS an eternity these days. Doesn't mean they have to change the actual design (though I think they should for the reasons you cite), but a change in actual uniforms IS overdue.

Speaking of Crossmen, my fav uniform from them is still the early 90's look (black and red short jacket, white pants and shoes, white aussie, red plume). When they first appeared in those uniforms (I forget if it was 1990 or 1991), it really did seem like they were sending a message. The corps was getting better on the field and now they were "looking the part" as well. Sometimes these changes aren't change for the sake of change, but a change to fulfill a psychological or self-image need in terms of how the corps is perceived. I think there is something to that. I know there isn't really a way to quantify any of this, but to me, those early 90's uniforms made them "look like" a DCI Finalist.

• Like 1

In my original post and comment about the Crossmen, I said some of the same, so please, if your going to quote, quote accurately and completely.

"I am not against replacing worn equipment or parts that are unuseable for another season because they are tattered and torn without possibility of good repair."

(post 33)

just because everyone else is doing it.........a fad........isn't good enough reason in today's economy since fads come and go at whims, usually when the insisting egoistic drill or guard designer is no longer there to pay the bill.

Edited by drilltech1

So to surmize from your thinking, the Swiss guard's iconic uniform designed by Michaelangelo should be thrown out because it is dated (by several centuries), the powdered wigs and red coats of the Old First Guard in Virginia & DC should be tossed out, the uniform of the Kilties should be tossed out ("have seem many of those around for quite a few years" you say,) and anything that the manufacturerers aren't pushing as newest for this year because everything else is dated and not "in." Just because some neighborhoods all wear their underwear showing and almost everyone does it that way, doesn't mean it's good "fashion' or helpful to the activity. It may be the "trend" to use your word, but some of those "trends" are here today, gone tomorrow because they lack substance while they search for " style."

Edited by drilltech1

The judgment "too much" is yours, not mine. I said that the uniform is very exposed and vunerable. If they march excellently, such exposure becomes a plus and neons the demand, helping the effect. The uniform is the frame, not the photo within.

Edited by drilltech1

I stopped caring once you brought up the Swiss Guard.

Weren't we talking about SHOW PREDICTIONS? smile.gif

With all the changes in rules when it comes to electronics and such, I'd love to see the Cadets revisit Bernstein's Mass. There is much un-used material (in the drum corps sense) that could be pretty wild on the field.

Edited by seen-it-all
  • Like 3

So to surmize from your thinking, the Swiss guard's iconic uniform designed by Michaelangelo should be thrown out because it is dated (by several centuries), the powdered wigs and red coats of the Old First Guard in Virginia & DC should be tossed out, the uniform of the Kilties should be tossed out ("have seem many of those around for quite a few years" you say, and anything that the manufacturerers aren't pushing as newest for this year because everything else is dated and not "in." Just because some neighborhoods all wear their underwear showing and almost everyone does it that way, doesn't mean it's good "fashion' or helpful to the activity. It may be the "trend" to use your word, but some of those "trends" are here today, gone tomorrow because they lack substance while they search for style.

If the Crossmen had maintained a singular uniform style over an extended period of time (i.e. over multiple uniform changes), then yes, changing the appearance would be a big deal and the motivation could be questioned. But they haven't. The change from 03 to 04 was quite drastic, as was the change before that. We aren't talking about the Kilties or Cadets having the same look for 75+ years. We aren't talking centuries like the Swiss Guard. Heck, even over the past 10 years, Crossmen have made these current uni's look significantly different (red detail, white detail, capes, no capes, different gauntlets, different aussies). If they need a new set anyway since these are at least twice as old as almost any other WC corps, I don't see any problem coming up with a new design in the process. The Crossmen have changed their uniforms multiple times over their history, and this will just be one more of those changes.

• Like 2