2014 Show Predictions

I doubt scores/competitive success are any sort of factor in the timing of this decision. From what I understand (maybe some alumni can chime in and help me out), Crossmen have been using the same set of jackets and pants since 2004, altering only the epaulettes, sash, and aussies on occasion. That's 10 seasons of wear and tear. Compare that to the rest of world class, where it seems remarkable for a corps to even go 4 or 5 seasons without a change. Plus, trends in uniform design change over time, just like trends in real-world fashion, and the current look is getting somewhat dated (especially the sequined sash, haven't seen many of those around for quite a few years). IMO, new uniforms for the Crossmen are overdue, and much more justified than the frequent changes we see many other corps go through.

In addition, 2014 will be the 40th anniversary season of the Crossmen and they are getting new uniforms to celebrate that. Plus 10 year old uniforms are smelly (even after you wash them).

Why does there have to be any other reason?

Edited by xbones7480
  • Like 3

I predict Crossmen will have new uniforms: http://www.crossmen.org/uniform

It is sad for me to see so much shifting in uniforms by corps within the last twelve years, either because the ego of a new drill designer demands it, or corps try to break the rut they think they are in. With so many expenses in the maintenance of the activity and while tour fees spiral upward, this change for the sake of change seems an extravagant waste in light of the poverty of corps and the general poverty of so many individuals today. I am not against replacing worn equipment or parts that are unusable for another season because they are tattered and torn without possibility of good repair...

Maybe we should note here exactly what it says at the link:

"2014 Uniform Drive

For the past 40 years, Crossmen have been entertaining people worldwide. This year, in celebration of our 40th anniversary, we are looking to purchase new uniforms.

Since our last full uniform change in 2004, the Crossmen have only made small alterations to the design to better their appearance. After nine years of minor alterations, it is finally time for a significant change. For the 2014 season we are looking to return with renewed vigor in a fresh new look for the corps, one that celebrates our traditions while being innovative in design.

It costs approximately $250 per uniform. That is $37,500! Whether you would like to donate the cost of a full uniform or take advantage of the several donation premiums we have to offer, we need your help! This season, show your support by donating to the 2014 uniform drive.

You can also help out by signing up for our iTexts program. It's free for you and benefits the corps! For more information on the itexts program CLICK HERE!"

If the Crossmen had maintained a singular uniform style over an extended period of time (i.e. over multiple uniform changes), then yes, changing the appearance would be a big deal and the motivation could be questioned. But they haven't. The change from 03 to 04 was quite drastic, as was the change before that. We aren't talking about the Kilties or Cadets having the same look for 75+ years. We aren't talking centuries like the Swiss Guard. Heck, even over the past 10 years, Crossmen have made these current uni's look significantly different (red detail, white detail, capes, no capes, different gauntlets, different aussies). If they need a new set anyway since these are at least twice as old as almost any other WC corps, I don't see any problem coming up with a new design in the process. The Crossmen have changed their uniforms multiple times over their history, and this will just be one more of those changes.

actually Kilties have changed the color of the chosen kilt several times in their history as a junior, all-boy, and now co-ed all-age corps.

To seen it all: were there not some licensing issues raised in the last decade when the next generation of Bernstein's estate challenged what others were doing with re-arranging (snip and paste/chop and bop) his music? the issue came up regarding WSS in 2009 or so after Cadets did their 75th show. I don't know whether the estate holds the rights to Bernstein's Mass but the licensing could be an issue of complexity.

I would like to see the Blue Devils do their spin on what the Renegade's did in 2003 (DCA) with that "Good Bye Blue Skies" show. DCI has never quite seen the likes of that! :devil:

Blue Stars 2014 - Revenge of the Dolls

Spirit 2014 - The Hangover

Santa Clara 2014 - Less Miserable

Cadets 2014 - Fawlty Towers Remembered

Blue Devils 2014 - Absurdly Risking Constancy: The Essence of Polyvinyl Chloride

Crown 2014 - A^2 + B^2 = C^2 : Pythagorus in the Park

I think polyvinyl siloxane would make a bigger impression. (But that's just me...)

I stopped caring once you brought up the Swiss Guard.

Weren't we talking about SHOW PREDICTIONS? smile.gif

With all the changes in rules when it comes to electronics and such, I'd love to see the Cadets revisit Bernstein's Mass. There is much un-used material (in the drum corps sense) that could be pretty wild on the field.

^Best show idea yet. They should just do a series of shows where they play the entire Mass.

Jumping into this thread late...

The Blue Knights will borrow elements from the last three years -- the circles from 2013, alien elements from 2012, and the rural folk songs referenced in 2011's English Folk Song Suite -- for their 2014 show...

CROP CIRCLES

Shocks of wheat will serve as the plumes on the shakos.

I predict Crossmen will have new uniforms:

http://www.crossmen.org/uniform

The Crossmen will march the entire season with their old uniforms, performing their Christmas show.

Then, in the last performance of the year, Christmas presents will be handed out one-by-one.

Each marching member will eagerly tear into the packages to find, of course, a new uniform, which they'll change into right on the spot.

The closer of the show will transition straight into the corps exiting the field in parade formation while playing Russian Christmas Music, leaving the gift wrap, boxes, and old uniforms scattered all over the field.

Then, if things work out perfectly, the Boston Crusaders will be onto the field next, and they'll tell the judges, "No, wait. Leave it where it is! We can work with this!"

• Like 4

And the Southern appeal strategy fails spectacularly at the Southeastern Regional when the finale, depicting the burning of Atlanta, starts a riot in the Georgia Dome, and the rampaging crowd spreads into the staging tunnel and all of BD's props for the year (bunk beds on wheels, one for each pair of MMs) are destroyed.

I should probably admit that my eyes somehow omitted the word "bunk" when I originally read that.

• 2 months later...

It is sad for me to see so much shifting in uniforms by corps within the last twelve years either because the ego of a new drill designer demands it or corps try to break the rut they think they are in. With so many expenses in the maintenance of the activity and while tour fees spiral upward, this change for the sake of change seems an extravagent waste in light of the poverty of corps and the general poverty of so many individuals today. I am not against replacing worn equiptment or parts that are unuseable for another season because they are tattered and torn without possibility of good repair. I am referring to the current marketing by the uniform companies to make a buck off the activity at the expense of tradition AND the fact that if a corps can't march well, a new uniform won't change it, although it might mask some of it. The Crossmen's uniforms in the current form are very exposed and vunerable to viewing any deficiencies in excellent performance on the visual sheets. All black uniforms and all white uniforms always are;; there is no place to hide. One of the reasons the Crossmen of old dropped their superman capes from their tradition was that the capes tended to make the visual performance look sloppy while masking some fazing, etc. Until the current corps can master how to march (look at the videos of the Protest show when the "police line" confronts the protesters,) no uniform will improve the scores no matter what verbiage and dazzle a manufacturer puts with the fabric presentation. Boredom is really anger turned inward any psychologist will tell you. Boredom with an image is an anger of frustration with one's own limits of being less than excellent. Only the manufacturers profit from these changes. And no, not every DCI finalist corps nor others get their new unis for free. That's a myth said by people who have never had to account for where corps finances come and go. 22 different flags for an eleven minute show would be another waste...and an exaggeration to make a point. Red neg all you want. Look at the score sheets!!! Look at the large financial deficits too many corps are carrying.

To me, I thought that Crossmens lower visual score had more to do with the spacing between players being quite a bit closer than other corps, not the uniform style. Most of the drill was too compact, making it hard to maneuver easily from one form to the other.limiting the size and shape of that form effectively. That's just my opinion though.....