Why 12 corps in Finals?

I'm just curious what the history behind having a "top 12" is. DCI has done it through it's whole history, and I've seen AL/VFW shows that had it. Was it a decision by American Legion or VFW, or is it even older than that?

Mike

Because the Imperial System of Measurements in based on 12?

Honestly, I have no idea, but it will be cool to figure out the answer. I have wondered about that as well

I'm just curious what the history behind having a "top 12" is. DCI has done it through it's whole history, and I've seen AL/VFW shows that had it. Was it a decision by American Legion or VFW, or is it even older than that?

Mike

Good question. I 'd say you're on the right track that the VFW and the AL National Championships used to have Prelims and if there were a lot of Corps in the Prelims that year, they had decided to bring 12 in to the Finals and to their Championship round. I'm not sure when the number 12 were initially decided upon.You are correct that when DCI was formed, DCI decided to go with 12 as well for their Finals round right from the beginning ( 1972) and its stayed that way since.

Edited by BRASSO

12 tribes of Israel, twelve Apostles, even dozen, this is an interesting one.

It seems that DCI adopted what Am. Leg., VFW, and CYO championships had found was successful. Also it sold more tickets BITD.

But how did these groups get the number? You would think the veterans would want 13 for the number of original colonies for the US.

Calling Steve Vickers and Brian Tolzmann for this one.

Meanwhile, are you giving a prize for the most "creative" answer????

I always thought it was because that's how many corps fit on the field for retreat if you give each of them 10 yards.

This might just be the answer.

The VFW and AL both had full field retreats at the Champiionships in the football field stadiums, and so maybe the number 12 was chosen as it would fill up the entire field nicely and be the colorful spectacle that we see even today at Finals Retreat.

Edited by BRASSO

I thought its because it was 12 that broke away from whatever existed before DCI and those 12 founding members was the beginning of DCI...?

No, this was not the reason as right from the beginning DCI had a Prelims ( of lots of Corps competing) then decided on 12 for Championships. One of the orginal Charter member Corps that was part of the group that formed DCI ( an icon Corps from the 50's, 60's), the Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights ( NJ), did not even go out to compete at DCI Championships the first couple of years as they were struggling financially and competitively by then in '72, '73.

Edited by BRASSO

A (very quick) glance through the Corpsreps score archive shows that in the late 50's / early 60's, both VFW and AL had either 10 or 12 in their Finals. There's not full contest data for many years earlier than that, so I'm not sure where to check next.

Mike