What Year Will BD Win #20?

...waffles...

Edited by SFZFAN
  • Like 2

If they can maintain, which there is no reason to think they cannot, I would guess 2024 (average winning every other year = 10 years). And I think that is best case scenario.

They've been blessed with incredible consistency in their staff holding together. What happens when they retire? We've seen what happens when just one person leaves a staff (Cavaliers), what happens if Wayne Downey, Scott Johnson and Scott Chandler all leave within a couple years of each other?

Edited by JKT90

I feel like BD could easily have a few down years like in the early 2000s where we were still medaling, but not 1st. So, I'm going to guess 2023, but could even be like 2026. No, 2020 for sure! if I really gaze at the stars alignment, read tarot cards, look at the bottom of my tea mug for leaf readings, and visit my shrink, they all tell me different things. #### Delorian, I bought it two years ago and it hasn't taken me to the future yet!

Edited by BDStaffAlum

Did this thread just jinx it for them, like touching the Stanley Cup before you actually earn it?

I truthfully have the feeling that by 2020 the current DCI title format will not exist. I don't think BD will reach 20 before then and we'll be talking about DCI titles in the same conversation with VFW and American Legion titles. If you consider G7 titles along with the DCI years, they might make it by 2021.

I think if DCI is able to continue, they will win #20 in 2027. However, I think DCI is going to face many problems in the upcoming years. With some high schools starting earlier and earlier, and then some schools running late with ending in mid June, it could hurt DCI. Also some high schools have considered going full years, with several 3-4 week breaks during the year.

But I think what is going to hurt DCI the most is finances. I think the writing is on the wall that DCI is having financial issues, regardless of whether or not they publicly announce it. We are losing more corps than are starting up, and while most of them are supposedly inactive for only a season, it doesn't look very positive for many of them to return. DCI also charges for things like thefannetwork, without providing any real customer support. They really need to hire a better company to do the website, and I think if they did have a better financial situation, maybe they would. I hope I am incorrect on this, but have the feeling DCI the way we know it is definitely going to change in the next 8-10 years. But I think with the emergence of Crown, and Cadets, Vanguard, Cavaliers, Phantom, and potentially Bluecoast taking titles, we might see BD only winning 1 title every 3-4 years in the future. I would bet if only one corps ever manages to make it to 20, it will be Blue Devils.

• Like 1

I think if DCI is able to continue, they will win #20 in 2027. However, I think DCI is going to face many problems in the upcoming years. With some high schools starting earlier and earlier, and then some schools running late with ending in mid June, it could hurt DCI. Also some high schools have considered going full years, with several 3-4 week breaks during the year.

But I think what is going to hurt DCI the most is finances. I think the writing is on the wall that DCI is having financial issues, regardless of whether or not they publicly announce it. We are losing more corps than are starting up, and while most of them are supposedly inactive for only a season, it doesn't look very positive for many of them to return. DCI also charges for things like thefannetwork, without providing any real customer support. They really need to hire a better company to do the website, and I think if they did have a better financial situation, maybe they would. I hope I am incorrect on this, but have the feeling DCI the way we know it is definitely going to change in the next 8-10 years. But I think with the emergence of Crown, and Cadets, Vanguard, Cavaliers, Phantom, and potentially Bluecoast taking titles, we might see BD only winning 1 title every 3-4 years in the future. I would bet if only one corps ever manages to make it to 20, it will be Blue Devils.

I don't think DCI will change that drastically, honestly. It's a huge organization with a huge fan/member base. A huge number of these members/fans/alumni buy the products and services that DCI has to offer. The high school thing shouldn't really matter too much at all. Not all DCI members are high schoolers, a lot of them are out of high school. DCI will continue for years to come, I'm sure.

I don't think DCI will change that drastically, honestly. It's a huge organization with a huge fan/member base. A huge number of these members/fans/alumni buy the products and services that DCI has to offer. The high school thing shouldn't really matter too much at all. Not all DCI members are high schoolers, a lot of them are out of high school. DCI will continue for years to come, I'm sure.

The fact that many members are in high school wasn't the main point. Usually the top tier corps are more college age than high school age members. However, if schools are in session, that usually means they aren't going to allow a drum corps to rehearse there since it will be a distraction to the students. A lot of people over the years have felt that lack of practice facilities could also mean the end of DCI, as more and more schools shut their doors on the activity for various reasons. Classes in session, lack of janitorial staff, insurance issues, are all reasons that some schools will refuse to house corps.

Every year we seem to be losing more corps. In the last 2 years we have lost Glassmen(hopefully temporarily) Teal Sound, Velvet Knights, Racine Scouts(luckily they came back this year) and we almost lost Raiders for the last part of the season. And we have at least 5 corps, that while competing early season, are not attending finals due to financial reasons. And with all the crud going on with the G7, and the major expenses or running corps, and the economy, there are many factors that could lead to problems with DCI. I really hope that DCI is here another 100 years. And if they are, BD should likely be the first, and possibly only corps, to win 20 titles. And I still think it will be 2027 when they do.