Annoying Things Corps Directors Say.

Being a new member of Drum Corps Planet I thought that this would be a good place for people to vent about corps directors. The few months I have been here there seems to be a liking to comment on anything and everything Hopkins says and does. Now I know Hop can put his foot in his mouth,but if people took notice, he is not the only one.So why don't we give all the other directors a fair shake and give them the same time and energy and let everyone know what they have said and done that makes your skin crawl. I expect to see people say that no other director does and says things like Hop does. I am here to say YOU ARE NOT PAYING ATTENTION !!! There are plenty good stories out there so let's spread the wealth and give other directors a chance to shine as we have Hop !!.

doh.gif

• Like 3

So why don't we give all the other directors a fair shake and give them the same time and energy and let everyone know what they have said and done that makes your skin crawl.

I'm not sure if you started this thread in a genuine manner or not. But if you are serious, and there are some things that a Corps Drector or Corps Directors have done that " makes your skin crawl" ( or even if its just something that they said or did publically that you thought silly and brought you a chuckle ), you should share this with us so that we can comment on its level of silliness, seriousness of the issue, or our unconcern with it altogether.

The floor is yours. You go first.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 4

I'm not sure if you started this thread in a genuine manner or not. But if you are serious, and there are some things that a Corps Drector or Corps Directors have done that " makes your skin crawl" ( or even if its just something that they said or did publically that you thought silly and brought you a chuckle ), you should share this with us so that we can comment on its level of silliness, seriousness of the issue, or our unconcern with it altogether.

Thank you. You beat me to it, but my sentiments exactly.

• Like 3

Being a corps Director...no thanks.

You would require a thick skin. No matter what anyone says we never really leave high school. Now try to manage a group of adults who are behaving from that vantage point.

Part time finance and logistics. Almost full-time babysitter.

There are those who thrive doing so. They are the long term success stories.

Fiedler told me in the Semifinals lot in 2012 that if Crown didn't win soon someone would slip in and take their chance. Made me really nervous but it worked out for crown. Also heade some comments implying open class is at the end of its life. Wish I had gotten some more insight into that comment.

Fiedler told me in the Semifinals lot in 2012 that if Crown didn't win soon someone would slip in and take their chance. Made me really nervous but it worked out for crown. Also heade some comments implying open class is at the end of its life. Wish I had gotten some more insight into that comment.

Well, that spring, prior to the season, there was a proposal that would have merged all the corps into a single class. It was voted down. Not sure what the margin was. Perhaps that was what he was alluding to.

I'm sure directors may occasionally say something they shouldn't. But on the other hand, look at all they are task with: fund raising, show design, music arrangement, staff, camp planning, tour planning, paying off the prior tour debts, running camps, getting logistically set to go on tour (food, buses, housing), did I mention fund raising, on top of I am sure many of them supplement their income...it's a non stop, logistical headache that honestly I do not think I could do it. So, much respect to those individuals for all they do. If one of them says something off the cuff I have no problem with it...

• Like 4

My purpose was to hear some information about other Corps Directors. Since I have been here 95% of the information I have seen has been about George Hopkins. I am well aware that being a Director is a thankless job which requires 24 hour a day attention and would not want that position for a million dollars. I am just perplexed as to why so much time has been spent on Hopkins. Granted he needs a publicity director to comb through his comments before they are published, but not knowing him,and going by what most say here, he is the worst thing to happen to drum corps. It just amuses me that so much time and effort goes into basically trashing a man who seems to have nothing but the activities best interests at heart even if you dislike the cadets. I am sure there are other directors who put their foot in their months so why is most of the time spent on George?? Oh wait this is the internet right??

doh.gif

My purpose was to hear some information about other Corps Directors. Since I have been here 95% of the information I have seen has been about George Hopkins. I am well aware that being a Director is a thankless job which requires 24 hour a day attention and would not want that position for a million dollars. I am just perplexed as to why so much time has been spent on Hopkins. Granted he needs a publicity director to comb through his comments before they are published, but not knowing him,and going by what most say here, he is the worst thing to happen to drum corps. It just amuses me that so much time and effort goes into basically trashing a man who seems to have nothing but the activities best interests at heart even if you dislike the cadets. I am sure there are other directors who put their foot in their months so why is most of the time spent on George?? Oh wait this is the internet right??

doh.gif

• Like 5

doh.gif

And why does it matter to you to hear info on other corps directors? You mean you want to initiate a conversation that opens up the firing line on other corps directors? Why? What's the point? How's does this help any situation?

Secondly, you're right: this is the Internet. Spend some time reading around the boards to see why George Hopkins seems to get the brunt of the controversy here. Personally, I think this is a moot thread topic