Someone please explain e=mc^2 to me, because I really don't like/g

Answer after reading my comments, please :)  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Considering their title, what it implied, and what was presented, does Crown's show make sense?

• Yes, your comments didn't change my mind
    • No, your comments changed my mind
    • No, I already had this opinion
    • I don't know

I also did a little personal calculating and found that Crown's hornline is neither playing [...] for a full 26% of the show. That's appalling.

[...]

this isn't someone pining for the days before b-flat trumpets and amplification

I wonder: are those things perhaps related? Does amplification mean that the pit can more often take the music once delegated to the brass?

Research the origins of the show music to discover the meaning behind the counting...and the poem...HINT: they're part of the show design and meaning.

Since you cite your age and relative lack of experience with the activity, I suggest doing some historical watching/listening.

Have fun.

Edited by kcbari
  • Like 9

I wonder: are those things perhaps related? Does amplification mean that the pit can more often take the music once delegated to the brass?

I think that's something being seen across all corps though, not just Crown. BD clocked in at about 20%, but Cadets did just fine at about 2.5%

Edited by Cavfan930
  • Like 3

I think that's something being seen across all corps though, not just Crown. BD clocked in at about 24%, but Cadets did just fine at only 3%.

It's too hard to time marching in older videos where no high camera shot is available, but as for brass playing, I just checked a past winner, selected at random: Blue Devils '94. For 24% of that show, the brass wasn't playing.

• Like 3

It's too hard to time marching in older videos where no high camera shot is available, but as for brass playing, I just checked a past winner, selected at random: Blue Devils '94. For 24% of that show, the brass wasn't playing.

Okay, so that type of statistic is fairly insignificant. Good to know.

• Like 3

Research the origins of the show music to discover the meaning behind the counting...and the poem...HINT: they're part of the show design and meaning.

Counting: My quick search found that apparently the counting is supposed to be "...an interpretation as a reference to the mathematical and scientific breakthroughs made by Einstein himself." And I'm sorry but as someone majoring in math education and dating a physicist, that just rubs me the wrong way. YES, Einstein was a genius. YES, he shaped modern physics. However, more modern physics is finding that he may be completely wrong. I protest that such beautiful achievements be referenced by counting over and over again to the number 8. Yes, I know that musically 8 is convenient to count to. But I mean come on. The equation is squared, and 8 is a cube. To me, that's like drawing a line and saying it exists in 2 dimensional space. It's just silly.

Poem: Couldn't find the name, someone help?

• Like 6