World wide block on DCI DVDs/CD...?

Do you know that you are replying to an attorney??? smile.gif/>

Probably why it was posted.

I live with one and it doesn't stop me from opining... tongue.gif

According to N.E. Brigand's post, it would likely depend (in part) on the kind of license that Sebesky and Brenzel purchased.

Well, I mean, it was public domain when they arranged it too, so they almost certainly didn't pay anyone for the rights, at least in the US. I guess my question is: is an arrangement of a public domain work also public domain?

Thanks - but honesty I'm not shelling out over $100$ for a DVD missing the Blue Devils. Guess I'll just buy it next summer at a show in the States. That should solve it. :thumbup:/>

Later,

Mike

Are DCI's video disks region locked, or region free? US distributed video disks can lock out play on machines in many foreign countries, though I think Canada and US are in the same region; if that's true, DCI couldn't lock out Canadians, but it could be a problem for Europeans. Find out before you shell out.

hUIqov8.png

Which is pretty much what you can expect when there are so many people interested in the issues affecting the activity combined with a lack of information. I would love to see more PR from DCI on key issues, but clearly they are underfunded. And perhaps there is a culture of avoiding controversy; since they have to debate these issues internally, it may fan the flames to put out pieces the directors may not agree on. It's very hard to discuss controversy without adding to it. (That's also speculative. tongue.gif)

Well, I mean, it was public domain when they arranged it too, so they almost certainly didn't pay anyone for the rights, at least in the US. I guess my question is: is an arrangement of a public domain work also public domain?

Dunno. It's more convoluted than a late 80s Cadets drill.

Dunno. It's more convoluted than a late 80s Cadets drill.

the difference being that they won Championships!

I do believe that there was a similar issue that cropped up in 2003, when the Kiwanis Kavaliers Beatles show was not on the DVD due to copyright infringement. I could be wrong, but I thought that after this happened, DCI established a ruling that all Corps had to secure copyrights to the pieces that they were planning on performing each year, prior to competing. Like I say, I could be wrong on this and would like to hear from somebody that knows for sure what went down after this happened in 2003.

As far as what is taking place this year, it's sad to think that some marching members from this years' Blue Devils will have difficulty obtaining a copy of their own performance. I'm sure there was more than one person from Calgary, Alberta, CANADA that marched with Blue Devils this year. There might have been some other international members in the Corps this year as well.

Being a Canadian and a long time follower of Drum Corps, I have felt over the years that DCI has been moving farther and farther from truly being international, as they do not attempt to air any of the theater viewings here in Canada. BTW, does the ban include Alaska and Hawaii?

Lastly, I'd like to comment on the attitude of some posters that think it's not a big deal, but I feel that a person has to be on the dirty end of the stick to fully understand how it feels to be left out.

I do believe that there was a similar issue that cropped up in 2003, when the Kiwanis Kavaliers Beatles show was not on the DVD due to copyright infringement. I could be wrong, but I thought that after this happened, DCI established a ruling that all Corps had to secure copyrights to the pieces that they were planning on performing each year, prior to competing. Like I say, I could be wrong on this and would like to hear from somebody that knows for sure what went down after this happened in 2003.

As far as what is taking place this year, it's sad to think that some marching members from this years' Blue Devils will have difficulty obtaining a copy of their own performance. I'm sure there was more than one person from Calgary, Alberta, CANADA that marched with Blue Devils this year. There might have been some other international members in the Corps this year as well.

Being a Canadian and a long time follower of Drum Corps, I have felt over the years that DCI has been moving farther and farther from truly being international, as they do not attempt to air any of the theater viewings here in Canada. BTW, does the ban include Alaska and Hawaii?

Lastly, I'd like to comment on the attitude of some posters that think it's not a big deal, but I feel that a person has to be on the dirty end of the stick to fully understand how it feels to be left out.

Hey, wait. This is serious!

And here I always thought Canada was our 51st State!

Maybe DCI needs to check with the NHL.

Edited by drilltech1

Hey, wait. This is serious!

And here I always thought Canada was our 51st State!

Maybe DCI needs to check with the NHL.

I've got news for you...the NHL is being taken over by Americans too, as the Commissioner, Gary Bettman, is American and is blocking new Canadian teams from joining the league!

I've got news for you...the NHL is being taken over by Americans too, as the Commissioner, Gary Bettman, is American and is blocking new Canadian teams from joining the league!

Go Islanders!!!