Texas , Louisiana, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Colorado

Kansan

You give me too much credit. As I've maybe posted twice on here in that past two years. Delusions of grandeur are all yours I'm afraid.

IMO, the 35 minimum rule was the cause. The effect is NO DCA competitive corps for the state of Texas. Which was the intent wasn't it?

As far as the TXDCP show, it still happens. Vigilantes had their show in the Dallas area as well. But rules being what the rules are, there's just no affiliations with DCA. Or intent to even try.

Austin Stars have pretty much morphed into a color guard. World Gone Mad is still around and strong in the Austin area. Not 35 minimum strong, and the instrumentation would never fly in DCA land. But still playing ball 7+ years later. I'm not sure about GCS, they hooked up with the local college, and after a few years I guess things didn't pan out.

The fact of the matter is that without the competitive factor, there is zero motivation to leave town. With 200 miles between corps, it's an 8 hour drive round trip and it has no net benefit in terms of "recruiting". And yet two years after my last significant post and Jeff is still Jeff. I suppose I should thank DCA, as I no longer spend thousands per year and hundreds of hours to fail at getting DCA to do so much as lift a pencil and scribble.

I'm thinking we need to develop our own competitive factor out here and not worry about an affiliation with DCA. Build our own sandbox to play in theory.

Edited by Kansan
  • Like 2

I'm thinking we need to develop our own competitive factor our here and not worry about an affiliation with DCA. Build our own sandbox to play in theory.

Maybe you should consider starting a sub-chapter of the SDCA in your area ... they seem to have a good template to follow ...

:-)

• Like 1

Maybe you should consider starting a sub-chapter of the SDCA in your area ... they seem to have a good template to follow ...

:-)

I'm thinking more along the lines of restarting the Great Plains Drum Corps Association and operate on our own. We could call the shots and make rules that accommodate the corps in our area and allow them a competition venue to perform at.

• Like 2

... and if a corps was formed in the NYC area, and they could not get at least 35 bodies interested, it would be the problem of the corps leadership not the 8,000,000 potential members.

If i recall Skyliners were trying for a come back in 2007 .they couldn't get there members to comitt to local parades no less DCA .WE now have the Skyliners from Jessup ,Pa. will never be the same corps as it once was.Not knocking them but we all know Pa.coal hills is not New York City .

What's the intent behind the 35 minimum rule for DCA?

If i recall on this one 1983 Mike who was dircertor of Bushwackers at the time pushed DCA to define what defines a DCA corps and that brought the numbers into play .He complained that some of the smaller corps at the time wasted prelium time by being able to complete n down graded the DCA .

If i recall Skyliners were trying for a come back in 2007 .they couldn't get there members to comitt to local parades no less DCA .WE now have the Skyliners from Jessup ,Pa. will never be the same corps as it once was.Not knocking them but we all know Pa.coal hills is not New York City .

no it's an NYC bedroom community. Youd be amazed how many folks in the Poconos commute to the metro area for their jobs