Cavaliers just got a Fuel Injection in the Staff Department.

Drum Corps should only be allowed to hold auditions in their hometown. Drum Corp must return to home grown local talent.

Granted, the talent may not have been there, but that's besides the point. A good instructor can make weaker players better.

While true, that doesn't help if there are lines with better starting talent getting solid instruction above them. You could get the best MLB manager in the country involved with a AAA club, but you're not beating anyone in the Bigs.

Drum Corps should only be allowed to hold auditions in their hometown. Drum Corp must return to home grown local talent.

But what about kids from Florida who want to march with the Blue Devils? Or Texas in the Cavaliers? Or Alabama in Phantom?

While I am happy for the Cavaliers picking up some strong names, are they really "all that."

I understand what the Martin's have done in the activity, but as of late, why haven't the hornlines they have worked with been closer to the Ott award, just my thought.

It was like when Thom Hannum worked with Madison in 2010 and 2011, people thought he would make their drumline as good as the 80's Cadets and Star drumlines he made so wonderful, but that didn't happen. Granted, the talent may not have been there, but that's besides the point. A good instructor can make weaker players better.

So at this point, I remain skeptical.

I think you're missing the fact that winning horn lines are alot more about the system and approach, combined with day to day teaching. Freddy and Michael were never the all summer day-to-day guys on tour and no matter the system, you need the right staff to be able to take it to the next level and implement the system. To my knowledge, Crotts was in a Caption role in 08 and Phantom seemed to have a pretty good year... He then left for BD and won multiple championships, and Ott Awards, on that staff as well. Maybe not quite "all that".. But shows that what they teach works, even today..

If you have doubts about the ability of these teachers, you might want to look at what they are doing at present: top BOA bands, international touring artists, etc. I'd say that these guys are pretty much model examples of great musicians, educators and making younger players better. Your comparison just doesn't hold weight. I'd even say Freddy is generally considered one of the "best" at teaching any level of brass playing and bringing the most out of younger players. In 2013...

I don't mean to be negative, but their is no reason to call out a DCI Hall of Fame brass educator unless you have some proof to back it. And you are incorrect: teaching is important, but the talent level is also crucial for success. Ask the Crown brass staff, who have been the same when they were 10th and 1st. Difference? talent level.. Any great teacher will tell you that.

They may not be at the top right away, but this staff has the potential to give The Cavaliers an Ott worthy program again very soon.

Edited by trumpetcam
  • Like 2

Anything is better than what has been going on there since 2009. Things are starting to turn back in the right direction for this corps.

I disagree. Sure, I could have went right down the road and marched with Spirit and saved around 1500 bucks in airfare, but I wanted to be a Madison Scout so I did what it took to make that happen.

And back to the original topic....I know several of these guys and they are most definitely the real deal when it comes to brass. You should hear the GA Tech band. Chip Crotts has them sounding pretty darn good.

Edited by andyboy252

yeah if only so many hometowns had talent to work with