Would a serpent be legal in DCI?

So the original bugle, i.e., one with no valves, is verboten in drum and bugle corps?

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 1

If I am not mistaken, not only do the brass instruments have to be bell-front they also have to have valves which is why a 2-valved trombonium was used by the 27th Lancers. Thus regular trombones are not legal in DCI and neither is the serpent nor the sacbutt legal in DCI.

I was under the impression (though could easily be wrong) that it isn't valves that are required, but rather slides, over a certain length, that are forbidden. Since the serpent uses finger holes instead of either, I have no idea how the rules would apply to it.

Edited by Spandy

So the original bugle, i.e., one with no valves, is verboten in drum and bugle corps?

Good question. However, if a no valve military bugle was allowed in DCI would not a corps like the Troopers, which exudes the military style and harkens the call for the use of that instrument, have used at least one in a show design? Or the Bridgemen when they did the Civil War Battle show?

I was like "omg that timbre" in a good way. :cool:

I gather that the serpent's smaller cousin, the cornett (with two Ts) was admired by some in the Renaissance for being the instrument that could best approximate the human voice.

(audio only) may be one of the best serpent performances on youtube.

And would it be loud enough to be heard without amplification? (Michael: was tonight's serpent miked or acoustic?)

I believe it was miked, but I was so astounded to see a serpent in any show, not to mention a serpent in a show about snakes, that I was justifiably blown away to file all the stimuli in my memory.

If I am not mistaken, not only do the brass instruments have to be bell-front they also have to have valves which is why a 2-valved trombonium was used by the 27th Lancers. Thus regular trombones are not legal in DCI and neither is the serpent nor the sacbutt legal in DCI.

Since serpents are outlawed, only outlaws will have serpents.

I can't remember: was it you who made the "Snakes on the (Great) Plains" joke?