Would a serpent be legal in DCI?

Do you remember if the price was for the trouble of reproducing it, or is it a copyrighted work they want to make money from (i.e., can we copy it freely if we get a copy? Could DCP post it online? I'm guessing not.)

For example:

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/downloads/y2013/official_baseball_rules.pdf

Hey, the infield fly rule is on pages 16-17. I had hoped I would understand it if I read the source, but alas, no. :dontgetit:

Well, if they are trying to sell it as a money-maker, maybe they need to try another marketing strategy. I checked Amazon and it is not there. Nor does it appear to be on the DCI web site or in the 'dcistore'.

To add a thought, the only other competitive activity I am aware of that seems as secretive with its rules is NASCAR; which, to be fair is a privately-held for-profit business. I seem to recall Mike Boo saying once that he would check on getting the rules posted on-line. Why is this so hard?

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

Isn't a $4000 show-themed serpent for a HS marching band a bit excessive?

I don't think you can rent them down at Sam Ash.

Still, they can presumably resell it and recoup those costs, especially if they bought it used. Net cost: shipping.

Well, if they are trying to sell it as a money-maker, maybe they need to try another marketing strategy. I checked Amazon and it is not there. Nor does it appear to be on the DCI web site or in the 'dcistore'.

To add a thought, the only other competitive activity I am aware of that seems as secretive with its rules is NASCAR; which, to be fair is a privately-held for-profit business. I seem to recall Mike Boo saying once that he would check on getting the rules posted on-line. Why is this so hard?

I think DCI has trouble making decisions without the board, and this may not be important enough to bring up at a board meeting. I suspect DCI management has very little decision making ability, except in specific areas like rights negotiations where the board has no choice but to let them make the decision. I have no personal knowledge of any of this of course, but that would be consistent with what we see in many issues. Their hands are tied.

I think DCI has trouble making decisions without the board, and this may not be important enough to bring up at a board meeting. I suspect DCI management has very little decision making ability, except in specific areas like rights negotiations where the board has no choice but to let them make the decision. I have no personal knowledge of any of this of course, but that would be consistent with what we see in many issues. Their hands are tied.

Interesting analysis.

It is somewhat ironic that one thing common to all Drum Corps is the performers are not tentative. The activity is based on a marcher knowing his/her part, and executing it to the utmost of their ability.

But corporately, the ruling body seems to be the antithesis of that mindset.

• 3 weeks later...

What about an oboe (or other usually woodwind instrument) played with brass embouchure, as in

? As long as the instrument is held horizontally, it's bell-front!

(Returning to serpents for a moment: you can see one being played briefly in the new and generally awful Hobbit movie, The Desolation of Smaug. It's visible during the send-off the dwarves receive in Lake-town, as they head off to the Lonely Mountain. A clever touch presaging the great "worm" they are soon to meet, rather like the dragon-shaped kite in the first film.)

(Edited to fix link.)

Edited by N.E. Brigand

• 1 month later...

Did anybody watch the oboe video? I'd never imagined the instrument could be used in that way!