What really makes Drum Corps so different

... Kids that march these days don't care so long as it sounds good. Their parents don't care. High school band kids don't care.

... People care about what sounds good, not necessarily about what makes the sound....

Ahhhhhh, so if kids and parents 'do not care' what makes the sound as long as it sounds good, thus DCI does not need the extra expenses of added electronics, amplification, or woodwinds to attract the kids and parents; that is as long as the performing corps sound good with acoustic horns and acoustic percussion they will be fine. I agree, and am glad you cleared that up for those who advocate increasing costs for DCI exponentially by adding products in which kids and parents do not care about!!!

Who can say with absolute certainty? We turned some of our marketing attention away from those people when we chose HS marching band kids as our target audience.

Woodwinds would be a different story, though. I would think that if you saw the absence of amps as a "barrier" to some HS kids even attending a show, then you should certainly be able to acknowledge the probability of woodwinds being a barrier to the attendance of certain legacy fans, especially when they say so themselves.

just as many said they wouldnt come back in 72 when many things changed and did stay away and many who said they would NEVER go to another show still are today

Edited by GUARDLING

Ahhhhhh, so if kids and parents 'do not care' what makes the sound as long as it sounds good, thus DCI does not need the extra expenses of added electronics, amplification, or woodwinds to attract the kids and parents; that is as long as the performing corps sound good with acoustic horns and acoustic percussion they will be fine. I agree, and am glad you cleared that up for those who advocate increasing costs for DCI exponentially by adding products in which kids and parents do not care about!!!

not counting ww because they arent in the equation as of today BUT the added expense of the electronics is so min. compared to other things that have sky rocketed.........................what always gets me though is why the concern.IF and I mean IF a corps manages their expense why do we care what they spend or how they spend it..other than being the busy body neighbor who has a toyota verses the neighbor with a BMW....yeah now i'll hear how corps are forcing everyone to buy BMW....nonsense

just as many said they wouldnt come back in 72 when many things changed and did stay away and many who said they would NEVER go to another show still are today

Look, this is simple: The 'bulk' of any marching activity fans in the stands (whether DCI, BOA, WGI,…) are family and friends of ‘current performers’ and always has been and always will be that way; over the years the numbers of bands participating in BOA have increased and numbers of units performing in WGI have increased thus the numbers of fans (family and friends of 'current' performers) have also increased; on the contrary side the numbers of drum corps have decreased thus there are less fans (family and friends of 'current' performers) in the stands today for drum corps events than yester-year; again this is simple.

Look, this is simple: The 'bulk' of any marching activity fans in the stands (whether DCI, BOA, WGI,…) are family and friends of ‘current performers’ and always has been and always will be that way; over the years the numbers of bands participating in BOA have increased and numbers of units performing in WGI have increased thus the numbers of fans (family and friends of 'current' performers) have also increased; on the contrary side the numbers of drum corps have decreased thus there are less fans (family and friends of 'current' performers) in the stands today for drum corps events than yester-year; again this is simple.

and?

ever consider that the activity as a whole is obsolete and alot less interest and MAYBE and I repeat MAYBE its why some directors are looking for anyway to keep it all alive................which is better than moaning which some do about why its not the way it was.......just a thought

Edited by GUARDLING

not counting ww because they arent in the equation as of today BUT the added expense of the electronics is so min. compared to other things that have sky rocketed.........................what always gets me though is why the concern. IF and I mean IF a corps manages their expense why do we care what they spend or how they spend it..other than being the busy body neighbor who has a toyota verses the neighbor with a BMW....yeah now i'll hear how corps are forcing everyone to buy BMW....nonsense

Because the premise of a youth non-profit organization such as DCI is to benefit youth, not just the youth of rich parents! Star was a great example of what corps in DCI 'should be'; Star received the bulk of their revenue from sources other than the rich parents and kids paying dues; thus a whole bunch of talented poor kids had just as much chance in being able to afford touring with Star as did a few kids with ultra-rich parents.

Edited by Stu

Because the premise of a youth non-profit organization such as DCI is to benefit youth, not just the youth of rich parents! Star was a great example of what corps in DCI 'should be'; Star received the bulk of their revenue from sources other than the rich parents and kids paying dues; thus a whole bunch of talented poor kids had just as much chance in being able to afford touring with Star as did a few kids with ultra-rich parents.

star had resources no corps will ever have...caant use them as an example............................well kids cant afford Boy scouts now or little girlsor boys cant afford dance classes compared to the 70s...baseball camp.....a fortune...i can keep goin....whos payin?..and were not going back to the neighborhood...its not there

but I will say again...ok you wanna be concerned..............

Edited by GUARDLING

and?

And.... we can beat our heads against a concrete wall until we bludgeon ourselves, but we will not increase butts in the seats unless we increase youth participation by opening up opportunities for more corps to exist in DCI in an environment which does not require millions of dollars per year to be competitive, because the majority of people who attend marching arts activities have been, are, and always will be family and friends of ‘current’ performers. Or, we just accept that the stands will shrink in numbers the less corps particpating in DCI.

not counting ww because they arent in the equation as of today BUT the added expense of the electronics is so min. compared to other things that have sky rocketed.........................what always gets me though is why the concern.IF and I mean IF a corps manages their expense why do we care what they spend or how they spend it..

Because of that "if". Corps do not always manage their expenses successfully. Someone was just saying something to that effect a little while ago... let me see... oh, it was you:

way back when no one dumped corps their poor management did it mostly and the times changing...today corps that have failed lately failed for the same reasons......

And.... we can beat our heads against a concrete wall until we bludgeon ourselves, but we will not increase butts in the seats unless we increase youth participation by opening up opportunities for more corps to exist in DCI in an environment which does not require millions of dollars per year to be competitive, because the majority of people who attend marching arts activities have been, are, and always will be family and friends of ‘current’ performers. Or, we just accept that the stands will shrink in numbers the less corps particpating in DCI.

depends what you call competitive...................1st place WC? well i dont know any activity that it doesnt cost more in way of money , time and commitment to be at that level verses the 25 th place placement