What really makes Drum Corps so different

NFL, as a governing body, treats the Texans equally to the Cowboys and equally to the Browns, and equally to the Steelers, and treats the rules of the game, including financial issues for competitiveness, equally for all teams. What you are describing is the free-market outside of the control of the NFL and has no bearing on the NFL use of salary caps, instant replay, etc....

hogwash. if it did, you'd see Houston marketed by the league the same as it does Dallas, Green bay etc. Outside of salary cap, what's different from DCI? Easy...the NFL has paid players, DCI players pay to be in it. select NFl teams propose rules changes that everyone votes on...just like DCI. And winners get marketed more than loser...just like DCI.

I know, you hate it when your sports analogies are thrown right back at you, but deny what I'm saying. Oh sure, the league trots out what you typed, just like DCI does. And both behave the same way

• Like 1

really? Quick, how many teams not from the major conferences go to BCS bowls?

Yep, UNLV and UNT sure are from 'major conferences' and they sure were on ABC or the main ESPN network not the third tier ESPNU!!! And I also looked to see who won the NCAA Div II Basketball championship last year; it was some small school called Drury who beat another small school called Metro State. Are you saying that that the NCAA, not the media or the TV watching public, but the NCAA does not care about them with the same concern as they do Div I Louisville and Michigan?

hogwash. if it did, you'd see Houston marketed by the league the same as it does Dallas, Green bay etc. Outside of salary cap, what's different from DCI? Easy...the NFL has paid players, DCI players pay to be in it. select NFl teams propose rules changes that everyone votes on...just like DCI. And winners get marketed more than loser...just like DCI.

I know, you hate it when your sports analogies are thrown right back at you, but deny what I'm saying. Oh sure, the league trots out what you typed, just like DCI does. And both behave the same way

I have seen the NFL Play60 commercials, and other commercials produced by the NFL, with players and coaches from many various NFL teams. It is the private funded commercials, like State Farm 'Discount Double-Check' which mainly just uses well-known stars such as Rogers in their promos.

true. But if you're going to make a huge change mid summer because you dont like your score, don't cry online DCI is too expensive. How is it he stuck with those shows in 06 and 08 despite lower scores without making serious wholesale changes that probably would have cost less, but in those oter years, he dropped some dimes for new unis in July?

It's hypocrisy on his part to cry "money, money, too expensive", then go and spend money he doesn't have. maybe it's time to practice what's preached

well as I said IF he spent anything at all for the 2nd uniforms...........for some reason it is rare when they get the uniform right...they often have changed them or something major...xmas..those hot messes they should have changed and didnt..ughhh..lol

My biggest objection, not my only objection, but my biggest objection is that the live-performance scoring outcome is supposed to be only determined by the actions of the performing youth members.

I don't think this has ever been a stated goal of judging, and it's entirely unrealistic. If it were true, a corps could come out and do an 8-5 marching block across the field playing Mary Had a Little Lamb and potentially win because they execute the crap out of it. Once you start taking into account attempted difficulty, you're judging show design.

High-school Band has a lot less baggage and is really only ever dealing with the newest generation of kids and their parents. And I don't really hear high-school kids complaining about how their band did things back in the day!

Any new band director taking over an established program would beg to differ.

I don't think this has ever been a stated goal of judging, and it's entirely unrealistic. If it were true, a corps could come out and do an 8-5 marching block across the field playing Mary Had a Little Lamb and potentially win because they execute the crap out of it. Once you start taking into account attempted difficulty, you're judging show design.

The age-limit of someone affecting the real-time live performance certainly is a stated rule. Name one DCI member producing or controlling live-sound in a live-competition, other than the adult non-member sound board operator (which is my objection) that is over the age of 22?

The age-limit of someone affecting the real-time live performance certainly is a stated rule. Name one DCI member producing or controlling live-sound in a live-competition, other than the adult non-member sound board operator (which is my objection) that is over the age of 22?

Apologies, for some reason I read it as a discussion of judging execution vs design. I misread and retract.

Apologies, for some reason I read it as a discussion of judging execution vs design. I misread and retract.

No apologies necessary; I was just clarifying my objection for ya. I have no problems with adults doing the design and instructional work (just like I have no problems adults teaching in classrooms, developing lesson plans, or coaching scholastic teams). But I have a huge problem with adults effecting competitive performance production in real-time out on the competitive field of what is supposed to be a youth driven performance; especially when the adult real-time action effects the final outcome and scoring.

No apologies necessary; I was just clarifying my objection for ya. I have no problems with adults doing the design and instructional work (just like I have no problems adults teaching in classrooms, developing lesson plans, or coaching scholastic teams). But I have a huge problem with adults effecting competitive performance production in real-time out on the competitive field of what is supposed to be a youth driven performance; especially when the adult real-time action effects the final outcome and scoring.

Really don't see why this is such an issue. Aren't most of these guys just advancing the mixer from scene to scene anyway? Just like the rest of the product, designing the mix can be done at rehearsal by instructors. Maybe they're running the master level and perhaps taking a channel in and out for a solo. I understand your objection from a theoretical standpoint but I suspect in practice it really doesn't matter if it's an adult or student running the board at show time.

edit

I suppose guys who run the board remotely could have more of an impact than those who are on the track. So there is that aspect to consider.

Edited by corpsband