My thoughts

Well, got word on Facebook from my alumni page that DCI has allowed all brass instruments in the activity. Gee, what a shock. Can we just add woodwinds and get this crap over with? I don't know who started the race to get drum corps to look like a marching band. It's like the carb-watchers trying to get their carb count to zero per day. Just don't eat carbs. For God's sake, just do it DCI and turn it into a marching band completely instead of this decade plan to do it. All that being said - here's the positive - the sooner this happens, the more LIKELY drum and bugle corps will return because it's completely different and nothing related to the professional marching band circuit. I would love to see DCA do just that - become a drum and bugle corps circuit. At some point - let it go - Madison Scouts, Cadets, Phantom, Cavies - just say goodbye to the past and start new. It's really time to just start new. Let go of the past and create a drum and bugle corps circuit. New groups, new traditions to start. Focus? Entertainment. Loud entertainment. Enjoyable entertainment. Let the marching band geeks ballet themselves to Cirque du whatever - I don't care. Go do your thing. "Oh, it's so hard what they do". Who cares? It's not enjoyable (it really isn't). Not to the general public it's not. Great day for drum and bugle corps if you think about it.

Well, got word on Facebook from my alumni page that DCI has allowed all brass instruments in the activity. Gee, what a shock. Can we just add woodwinds and get this crap over with? I don't know who started the race to get drum corps to look like a marching band. It's like the carb-watchers trying to get their carb count to zero per day. Just don't eat carbs. For God's sake, just do it DCI and turn it into a marching band completely instead of this decade plan to do it. All that being said - here's the positive - the sooner this happens, the more LIKELY drum and bugle corps will return because it's completely different and nothing related to the professional marching band circuit. I would love to see DCA do just that - become a drum and bugle corps circuit. At some point - let it go - Madison Scouts, Cadets, Phantom, Cavies - just say goodbye to the past and start new. It's really time to just start new. Let go of the past and create a drum and bugle corps circuit. New groups, new traditions to start. Focus? Entertainment. Loud entertainment. Enjoyable entertainment. Let the marching band geeks ballet themselves to Cirque du whatever - I don't care. Go do your thing. "Oh, it's so hard what they do". Who cares? It's not enjoyable (it really isn't). Not to the general public it's not. Great day for drum and bugle corps if you think about it.

I would just like to start. First of all, very mature approach to the subject. I know this thread is titled "My Thoughts", but be careful when posting them online. "Marching band geeks"? "Who cares"? Why be so negative? Yeah, maybe this isn't the most praised desicion made by DCI, but is complaining about it going to solve anything? No, it's not. You are entitled to your own opinion, and I respect that, but please, don't come off attacking and offensive. You could get a group of people very angry.

Second of all, nobody started, or is currently trying to make DCI turn into marching band. I believe that the descisions made by the Board of Directors are never meant to intentionally make this activity worse. That is completely illogical! If they are trying to make it marching band, don't you think that it would've already been done by now? I think that this decision was made to give more oppertunities in the music the corps performs. There rule states that the use of all brass instruments are permitted. Nowhere did the rule state that they must be used by every corps or they are disqualified. And even if a corps will use them, they most likely won't start off with a whole line. I'm thinking that this new rule will allow new soloists and different sounds to be used for a desired effect. I hear that the drill and design would be terrible because of the new instruments on the field. That will probably just make it that much more impressive and unique when the corps pulls it off.

Anyway, there is no need to look at this new change with such hate and negativity. I understand that you marched one way, and that is the way you always want it to be. Yeah sure things will be different. Yeah sure it's not what it originally was, but think about what people thought about DCI when it was first established? I bet you that a whole handful of people did not want it to happen, but it did. And here we are. If you pout and complain about this change, then of course it's going to be horrible. Just try to think of this as a good thing. Give it a chance. If you believe that this change is a good idea, I bet it is going to be a LOT less worse than you think. Just saying, give it a chance, and look on it in a new light. :thumbup:

Usually the way we keep order on DCP is that we post "our thoughts" on threads that are already discussing the topic we'd like to talk about. But apparently idea that your opinion would be buried under a mountain of others' opinion is hard for you to stomach... :plain:

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 1

I don't think it's fair for you to speak on behalf of the entire general public. Has the "general" public ever been drum corps core audience? NEVER. Personally, I find some shows enjoyable and some shows not so much. There is a lot of variety out there.

• Like 1

Second of all, nobody started, or is currently trying to make DCI turn into marching band.

While I can appeciate that you apparently appear to genuinely believe this, I 'm pretty sure that you are aware that there is a huge number of people from coast to coast, many of whom have been former judges, former instructors,former Corps music arrangers, current and former Corps volunteers, former DCI Corps Directors, former marchers, long time loyal fans, DCW writers, Corps alums, etc that would disagree with you on this point.

Edited by BRASSO

While I can appeciate that you apparently appear to genuinely believe this, I 'm pretty sure that you are aware that there is a huge number of people from coast to coast, many of whom have been former judges, former instructors,former Corps music arrangers, current and former Corps volunteers, former DCI Corps Directors, former marchers, long time loyal fans, DCW writers, Corps alums, etc that would disagree with you on this point.

Yeah after writing that, I can see where I messed up. But my original point still stands, which is to not look at the desicions of DCI and the Board of Directors as horrible or intentionally bad. I'm certain that this wasn't just discussed for one little meeting as an idea and everybody said "Yeah let's do it". I think that they have been thinking about this decision and had many many days and weeks and possibly months to think about this. I think that it is going to inspire new music to be performed.

I would just like to start. First of all, very mature approach to the subject. I know this thread is titled "My Thoughts", but be careful when posting them online. "Marching band geeks"? "Who cares"? Why be so negative? Yeah, maybe this isn't the most praised desicion made by DCI, but is complaining about it going to solve anything? No, it's not. You are entitled to your own opinion, and I respect that, but please, don't come off attacking and offensive. You could get a group of people very angry.

Second of all, nobody started, or is currently trying to make DCI turn into marching band. I believe that the descisions made by the Board of Directors are never meant to intentionally make this activity worse. That is completely illogical! If they are trying to make it marching band, don't you think that it would've already been done by now? I think that this decision was made to give more oppertunities in the music the corps performs. There rule states that the use of all brass instruments are permitted. Nowhere did the rule state that they must be used by every corps or they are disqualified. And even if a corps will use them, they most likely won't start off with a whole line. I'm thinking that this new rule will allow new soloists and different sounds to be used for a desired effect. I hear that the drill and design would be terrible because of the new instruments on the field. That will probably just make it that much more impressive and unique when the corps pulls it off.

Anyway, there is no need to look at this new change with such hate and negativity. I understand that you marched one way, and that is the way you always want it to be. Yeah sure things will be different. Yeah sure it's not what it originally was, but think about what people thought about DCI when it was first established? I bet you that a whole handful of people did not want it to happen, but it did. And here we are. If you pout and complain about this change, then of course it's going to be horrible. Just try to think of this as a good thing. Give it a chance. If you believe that this change is a good idea, I bet it is going to be a LOT less worse than you think. Just saying, give it a chance, and look on it in a new light. :thumbup:

Where do I begin. You're so easy. "I know this thread is titled My Thoughts" and then you ignore what you know. Then you're giving advice for me to be careful. "Is complaining about it going to solve anything" - first off, DCP is pretty much a complaint community and secondly I posted another thread specifically putting aside complaining. Then you tell me how entitled I am to express my opinion and how you respect it and then tell me not to do it and your entire post is disrespect (not that such things matter to me. Respect and disrespect is a subjective ego minduck for insecure people). Oppertunities? Really? Regarding using brass instruments for effect. Let's start with effect number 1 - how about entertaining people on the aluminum cans they already have. The only effect I've seen is the courtesy applause. There is no effect except side effects (nausea, vomiting, rooftop sniping, strangling cats, and 1000 others - read the label). Hate and negativity - thanks Jesus Christ for your positive post oozing with love vibes. There's a glow around your post and now I know why. Thanks for the tree hugging advice for me to consider this a good thing - you're the kind of person who will dish out that mantra at funerals. Yeah, okay - what key shall we sing Kumbaya in? Better not be G. Always love people giving their own post a thumbs up. Hey, you wouldn't happen to be a percussionist would you?

I don't think it's fair for you to speak on behalf of the entire general public. Has the "general" public ever been drum corps core audience? NEVER. Personally, I find some shows enjoyable and some shows not so much. There is a lot of variety out there.

Fair? Since when is fair relevant. I'm not speaking on behalf of anyone, I'm stating fact. 77 flavors of non-entertainment is still non-entertainment.

Fair? Since when is fair relevant. I'm not speaking on behalf of anyone, I'm stating fact. 77 flavors of non-entertainment is still non-entertainment.

You say "fact" then use a term like non-entertainment. Entertainment is a subjective term. Lots of people find the shows exciting, or else kids wouldn't continue to show up, and last year's Finals wouldn't have been the most attended since Pasadena in '07. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean others don't.

• Like 2