What is it about BOA?

I commented on your interpretation of the business structure limitations of the two groups in another thread but, to summarize, several (many) of the DCI BOD believe that DCI's role is exactly the same as BOA's, that is, to promote the tour. If accepted as true, it would suggest synergies and efficiencies that can be gained for the benefit of both organizations if those promotional efforts were combined. It's particularly handy that the fall MB tour and summer DCI tour are in different seasons.

Your thoughts about revenue flows preventing any sort of merger are too limited. There is nothing to suggest that the two, distinct revenue flows of the two organizations (BOA and DCI) need to be similar in any way. The non-profit MFA could very easily structure the two sub-divisions to operate on different revenue/cost planes. Bands could continue to pay BOA for tour and organizational functions while DCI could continue to pay MFA for marketing and promotion efforts while still paying out the remainder of its revenues to the corps.

MFA could charge a fee for promotion that wouldn't be unlike what DCI "charges" the corps now for the same services.

EDIT: The "drama" of the dysfunction of DCI's leadership could be contained to the DCI board room. The fight would come in when or if some corps directors believe that MFA, like the DCI organization, is too expensive and needs to charge less for the services provided. But if the corps directors are seeing increased efficiency in the promotion of the DCI tour from MFA, much of that "drama" would evaporate.

where I see the issue is what one corps in DCI owns....a band circuit that is trying to market itself as an alternative to BOA. and given the revenue that circuit generates for that corps, they won't be willing to give that up.

• Like 1

2016, unless they decide to change the rules and have a vote sooner. (Not like that's ever happened before...)

Mike

I don't think it'd pass that soon IMO. There's still too much opposition in the room, and to my knowledge, no manfacturers have stepped up to the plate enough with incentives to make it work.

Plus....I'd like to think the majority of the DCI Directors know that's the one rules change sure to truly hurt business. Granted, I have not often accused that room of being loaded with logic or common sense, but I think most realize this.

where I see the issue is what one corps in DCI owns....a band circuit that is trying to market itself as an alternative to BOA. and given the revenue that circuit generates for that corps, they won't be willing to give that up.

Yes, that and a couple of other beliefs that that one director has, might preclude that one director from voting yes to the merger. But, unintended circumstances that challenge a corps' fund-raising abilities are nothing new in DCI. Just as BD, Glassmen, and the host of other corps that once relied on bingo for a significant portion, or all of, their revenue. That director will then have to decide whether he wants to approach the challenge as BD did, or as Glassmen did, but the choice will be solely his and will not challenge any other corps in the activity.

• Like 1

Yes, that and a couple of other beliefs that that one director has, might preclude that one director from voting yes to the merger. But, unintended circumstances that challenge a corps' fund-raising abilities are nothing new in DCI. Just as BD, Glassmen, and the host of other corps that once relied on bingo for a significant portion, or all of, their revenue. That director will then have to decide whether he wants to approach the challenge as BD did, or as Glassmen did, but the choice will be solely his and will not challenge any other corps in the activity.

true. But that is a powerful voice, BOD member or not.

I don't see it happening honestly. Ego.

true. But that is a powerful voice, BOD member or not.

I don't see it happening honestly. Ego.

I think the one thing that trumps ego is survival. Many of those egos want DCI to more-fully infiltrate the scholastic music orgs. MFA is already there, so why reinvent the wheel? And, again, a merger (not really a merger in the strictest use of the term) does not require any of the egos in DCI be suppressed. In fact, if MFA were smart about it, they'd leave the DCI egos to fight among themselves and stand ready to pick up the pieces should it ever fold. Also, don't forget that utilizing MFA existing footprint in the schools to more-efficiently market the DCI tour solves a major complaint of Seven by eliminating DCI's "inefficiency" by utilizing the existing promotional structure of MFA.

Also, MFA could attain significant leverage over USBands. If all but one of the corps directors think a merger is the best answer, Hop would have two choices: divest USBands because of the conflict and, likely, cripple it as a result or go it alone and hope that USBands could then compete with the stronger MFA/BOA structure. It could be a clean, "hand's off" way for MFA to weaken a significant competitor in the band circuit competition.

Ahhh..... but the 'fundamental sound' of DCI corps certainly did change when Synths, Guitars, Electric Keyboards, Samplers, and other electronics were added into the musical sound pallet.

What about when Boston used one in the 80s?

there really is only one line left....woodwinds.

now it's anybodys guess how soon the proposal is sent from allentown to DCI HQ

About the same chance of the proposal coming from Madison to DCI HQ. That's an even shorter trip

About the same chance of the proposal coming from Madison to DCI HQ. That's an even shorter trip

I dont think the woodwind proposal will be coming from Madison. Just a hunch.

I dont think the woodwind proposal will be coming from Madison. Just a hunch.

The same was said about this proposal. No way it could have possibly come from Madison. Until it was