They Will Never... Never Say Never

I was at a conference at a University in the mid 1980's that explored the concept of world wide web. Oh the irony ;)

i remember working with html on atms on an ibm mainframe early 80's. when i worked on a pc portal 2009, html was there :D

Are you sure that wasn't SGML? I thought the first version of HTML was around 1991.

PS - the 5 computers in use was said when computers took up huge amounts of space, electric and could heat the building with what the vacuum tubes generated. Remember the (original 60s) Jetsons and UniBlab....? OK some of you ain't that old.....

Ah, yes -- "Big Iron". Got my real start on mainframes, tapes, and punch cards. We had IBMs, Cybers, VAXs, even one of the first Crays. Disc drives the size of washing machines.

• Like 1

Are you sure that wasn't SGML? I thought the first version of HTML was around 1991.

I sometimes post intuitively and research after :wink: SGML sounds right as does GML and Script/VS in this familiar pdf document

http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/ibm/370/DCF/GH20-9175-1_Document_Composition_Facility_Rel_2_Program_Summary_Oct79.pdf

It was a mainframe word proccessing software to provide italic, bold etc. that used tags similar to HTML. I'm into SQL and XML now (btw the L in all the acronyms is for Language not Linda lol)

• Like 1

I sometimes post intuitively and research after :wink: SGML sounds right as does GML and Script/VS in this familiar pdf document

http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/ibm/370/DCF/GH20-9175-1_Document_Composition_Facility_Rel_2_Program_Summary_Oct79.pdf

It was a mainframe word proccessing software to provide italic, bold etc. that used tags similar to HTML. I'm into SQL and XML now (btw the L in all the acronyms is for Language not Linda lol)

Thanks lindap!

I wasn't trying to be difficult, I just wanted to know what the language was so that I could look it up and see what the syntax was like.

When people on here talk tech, I try to look some of the interesting things up and the computer scientist in me likes technology history...

Thanks lindap!

I wasn't trying to be difficult, I just wanted to know what the language was so that I could look it up and see what the syntax was like.

When people on here talk tech, I try to look some of the interesting things up and the computer scientist in me likes technology history...

I also have an interest in computer history! I fell into the industry after I moved west in 1976. While I was living east my focus was environmental studies, theatre, drum corps and winter guard.

I recall my high school theatre teacher insisting on studying history prior to exploring the play to understand the playwrights' words in context with the era. She also subsidized tickets to live plays. In return we wrote reviews. After school and weekends, I'd attend drum corps or winter guard rehearsals as a marching member or instructor.

Theatre lessons allowed me to be an effective and expressive drum major for 7 years. Theatre lessons taught me how to stage a guard from an audience perspective. Musical theatre taught me how to view a drum corps program. Does the visual augment the music (GE)? Is there clarity and context in sound and movement (execution and MA)? Does the program capture the audience's interest?

From 1968 - 1988, I participated in drum corps and winter guard as a performer, instructor, judge and a member of a board of directors. I've read DCP for years prior to attending 2010 DCI finals. I needed to judge the activity for myself after a 27 year absence. It was then that I decided to be a fan. I removed my critic hat, my obsession with perfection, my ranking/rating analytic tendency and sat back to enjoy the whole experience.

I've always separated work from home life and stayed offline after work until early 2007 when I bought a laptop for home. My first search was drum corps. I've enjoyed reminiscing, over the past 6 years, of an enjoyable activity from my youth.

My brief impressions of DCI finals 2013? I enjoyed BD's interpretation of Rite of Spring, liked CC's musical selections and the narration endearingly reflected young love, SCV's program flowed and the guard made me smile, Troopers had heart and soul and OC displayed the rugged Northwest, mountains, ocean, forests and resiliance of the people. Being a drum corps and winter guard fan is a nice break from computer programming (but please stay away from DOS command discussions; I struggle with those;)

Edited by lindap

OK little miscommunications on my part Linda. I was thinking of the "birth" of the Internet with Darpa and not .html.

As for old iron... had to spend time in the computer complex when I first worked at the Navy (80-82). Over the weekends did the card sorters but most of time with more magnetic tapes (10-12 inches across) than I want to remember with Univac 494...... Later the oldest thing I saw was a pair of card interpretpers. Read ye olde 80 character punch cards and printed the info on the top. One was in use and the other was spare parts. Both about a cubic yard in size and shook the floor when running. 1992 at Portsmouth, NH Naval Shipyard....

PS - sql - Oh yeah....... Writing a lot of Oracle pl/sql scripts and perl scripts that call pl/sql....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

sql for oracle is cool :smile: I'm also reminded of the legend of the programmer dropping a box of un-numbered cards. 2 current collegues started as punch card clerks. They have interesting stories of the human contribution to the digital age.

As an aside, in 1976 I was a T&P and M&M judge in training. I felt that the young, 9-13 years, should be judged for achievement and the 14-21 year olds be judged for excellence. There are reasons why I rarely contribute to tic system judging discussions.

I remember our tape library in the 1980's was the size of a gymnasium. To provide prompt service, the tape librarians were encouraged to wear roller skates. We tried tape retrieval with a mechanical arm but the arm went down often due to mechanical issues.

CrownBariDad quoted 'Disc drives the size of washing machines'. I remember that! After the roller skate tape retrieval era, we got new disc drives. I though I was in a laundromat during a drum corps tour free day lol

Edited by lindap
  • Like 1

CrownBariDad quoted 'Disc drives the size of washing machines'. I remember that! After the roller skate tape retrieval era, we got new disc drives. I though I was in a laundromat during a drum corps tour free day lol

Puts a whole new meaning to "Spin Cycle".