Madison Scouts trombones?

Brasso is doing work in this thread. 100% exacttly right.

There were at least 5 times more Drum Corps shows 25 years ago than there are today. There were 10 times more Drum Corps. The total number of people attending Drum Corps shows today is probably about 30% off what it was back in the day.

Corps today perform in bigger stadiums than they did back then.

And in case you missed it earlier, there was more than a 50% drop from 1972-1982. what do you have to say about that? 446 to 216, and you can't mention that.

You just seem to think that your pointing out your opinions and not basing anything in fact is getting somewhere.

So glad you once again have to come into this thread and spout off about attendance. When was the last time you supported the corps financially, as a spectator, etc.

To be completely honest, if you haven't been to a show in a few years or been around the activity, where are your "facts" coming from.

Where are Brasso's facts? I have yet to see any of them. I like to go off concrete numbers not one's opinions, which are what we are seeing.

Fact 1: More people watched DCI Minnesota last year between the live show and webcast than any year that DCM held their Midwest Championship at NIU in Dekalb, including all prelims, finals, and every night, and DCI Minnesota is a 1 day event.

Would you like me to continue?

No.. you are " really reaching " to state that DCI's telecast on PBS was " free ". That is , of course, inaccurate. If the telecast was " free " then why did PBS drop the DCI telecast after many years of its showing ? Well we know why. PBS didn't want " free " air on the other end of the begging telephones with their solicitors.... and no envelopes without checks in them after the broadcast. They wanted M..O..N..E..Y. So you really are into a contortion of rather difficult verbal gymnastics to try to make the silly case that PBS considered their relationship with DCI to show DCI's Finals a " free " proposition between the two of them. Thats just nonsense.. If the TV telecast of the DCI Finals was " free " to the public, it'd still be on the air for heavens sake, and no need for PBS to sever its long time DCI relationship.

I watched it for free. I taped it for free. I got PBS through Rabbit ears on my TV and didn't pay to have it, since I didn't have cable.

Brasso, I appreciate your perception and the knowledge you believe you have, but you have yet to put up numbers.

Here's one for you if you didn't see my other comments. More people saw DCI Minnesota last year in a 1 day event, through live spectators and people watching on the Fan Network than the total attendance of ANY year of the same type of event that DCM used to host at NIU in Dekalb. What's your answer to that?

Or, better yet, what's your answer to the fact that there were over 950 corps in the US alone in the 50's and 60's and down to 446 in 1972 (of course, those 446 did not all attend DCI champions, and includes any active junior and senior corps) and then down to 216 in 1982 TOTAL corps in the world including all types. Why does it have to be a talk about the last few years.

Why can't we sit here and talk about the decline during the "glory" years as most people see the mid-70's through lat 80's.

Or, if maybe try giving some actual numbers to prove your point. I did, it's fun, and it's reality instead of opinion. And even though some where criticize my numbers, they are fact.

• Like 4

Thanks, Sport.

And yes, I think you are a " good " sport to say this. ( haha!)

Edited by BRASSO

Corps today perform in bigger stadiums than they did back then.

This really is silly season. What difference does attendance make in whether or not the shows are performed in "bigger stadiums" today than BITD ? ( which by itself ,is at best, a dubious and open to disagreement as well as an observation, imo... but thats beside the point) These " bigger stadiums " of today at Regionals, at the TOC shows,, at Lucas, etc are not even a third filled. This is getting sillier by the moment, if not the day. The size of these " bigger stadiums" is a complete non factor in these DCI attendance figures.

Edited by BRASSO

Before you know it, 100,000 people will have been at those Finals events, and people were parachuting into the stands to see it.

Great hyperbole. Nobody is going to claim that " 100,000 people" were at finals BITD, so you can put such fears of yours aside with your hyperbolic comment. That said, for perspective, and because YOU brougfht up the possibilities re. what people will claim for attendance someday, and its relationship to " parachuting " at DCI shows, it is my opinion that there is a more likely occurance of us seeing a future parachutist in performance parachuting at a future DCI competition, than in the DCP occurance that somebody will claim that there were " 100,000 people at Finals BITD ". But of course, these are just wild speculations here for which might occur first.... if ever. But.. YOU brought it up.

Edited by BRASSO

I watched it for free. I taped it for free. I got PBS through Rabbit ears on my TV and didn't pay to have it, since I didn't have cable.

Brasso, I appreciate your perception and the knowledge you believe you have, but you have yet to put up numbers.

A) I sent in money every year to PBS after I watched the telecast. I pledged,.. I paid. If others didn't send PBS money after watching the telecast, that is of course their perogative. But naturally, it does explain why PBS pulled the plug on DCI as unfotunately, it looks like I was outnumbered by too many folks like you. PBS, in its early years, did have sufficient pledges like me, but as time went on, they apparently reneged, or just drifted away.. and so that was that.

B) As for attendance" numbers ", Montreal 81( or maybe in was '82... I was in live attendance at both ) had a youtube video from DCI put up by DCI during the show that I believe DCI posted on the overhead screen around 37,000 or some such at Finals Night. I'm too lazy right now to go see if its still up on youtube or not... but I know others are familiar with this. Also, as for offsite " attendance ", simple common sense alone tells us that more people would have seen DCI Finals on TV on PBS ( or ESPN ) nationally, than the numbers in a theatre or at home in their den or their basements watching the feed on their home computers. This is not rocket science here. DCI had much large live attendance at Finals in early years than we we are witnessing now. One can even go onto Fan Network ( if they support DCI here ) and can see for themselves what their own eyes should be able to tell them regarding BITD attendance and what their own eyes show them compared to what they see at Lucas last year at Finals on Fan Network. Its all there. Denial is of course an option, but its not productive in my view to any discussion here on DCP, imo as we look toward the future.

Edited by BRASSO

This really is silly season. What difference does attendance make in whether or not the shows are performed in "bigger stadiums" today than BITD ? ( which by itself ,is at best, a dubious and open to disagreement as well as an observation, imo... but thats beside the point) These " bigger stadiums " of today at Regionals, at the TOC shows,, at Lucas, etc are not even a third filled. This is getting sillier by the moment, if not the day. The size of these " bigger stadiums" is a complete non factor in these DCI attendance figures.

Um, bigger stadiums with more tickets sold equals more than 3 nights at NIU during DCM that at the time seated 4,000 concert side, which was the side used. So um, simple math. But yeah, I'm silly for using facts and simple math. My bad.

I guess I should take the ignorant approach and pretend I'm in the majority as well.