What's In A Name?

39 members have voted

1. 1. When is it appropriate for DCI to remove "Drum Corps" from its name and replace it with something else?

• It should have been changed already with the addition of Bb instrumentation.
    • It should have been changed already with the allowance of amplification and electronics.
    • It should be changed now with the allowance of additional brass instrumentation.
    • It should be changed in the future with the allowance of woodwind instruments.
    • It should never be changed.
    • Other (Specify in thread)

So, you step into an elevator with your boss and his sexy secretary (whom you've been angling to date for months).

talking-in-elevator.jpg

You're boss asks "So, Bob, got plans for the weekend?"

"Why yes!", you answer, "I'm going to Indianapolis to the Drum Corps International Championships!"

Your boss and his sexy secretary look at each other quizzically, then she asks, "Really?! What's that?"

You have about 20 seconds before the bell dings...

And you respond.........?

and I respond, "Well, its kinda like marching band!"

• Like 1

and I respond, "Well, its kinda like marching band!"

Uncomfortable silence ensues. "Hmmm", they mumble.

As the bell dings and they exit he says under his breath, "Band geek". She whispers "Nerd".

And at that moment you realize you wasted 15 of 20 seconds of opportunity to explain "the experience" or the activity beyond their high school recollection. You had the chance to show empathy, artistic flair, an appreciation of competition, and the growth of young people into higher-performing adults.

Not much of an elevator pitch, IMO. I hope you get a second chance to change that first impression, but you'd better update your resume just in case.

(Not particularly personal; yours is a very common "simplistic" answer)

So, you step into an elevator with your boss and his sexy secretary (whom you've been angling to date for months).

talking-in-elevator.jpg

You're boss asks "So, Bob, got plans for the weekend?"

"Why yes!", you answer, "I'm going to Indianapolis to the Drum Corps International Championships!"

Your boss and his sexy secretary look at each other quizzically, then she asks, "Really?! What's that?"

You have about 20 seconds before the bell dings...

And you respond.........?

I would look at both the boss and assistant and state the following, "Well,... it is a youth driven life experience musical activity which is actually on par with the high caliber business you run and the quality of people you associate with this company. Many of these kids will actually go on and do great things in life, not only in music but in all forms of business, due to the high level of performance exhibited by these national touring musical ensembles. Would either one of you like to join me for dinner this evening to find out more about what a great and wonderful activity this is?" (asking that question, of course, while looking directly at the assistant).

• Like 1

I would look at both the boss and assistant and state the following, "Well,... it is a youth driven life experience musical activity which is actually on par with the high caliber business you run and the quality of people you associate with this company. Many of these kids will actually go on and do great things in life, not only in music but in all forms of business, due to the high level of performance exhibited by these national touring musical ensembles. Would either one of you like to join me for dinner this evening to find out more about what a great and wonderful activity this is?" (asking that question, of course, while looking directly at the assistant).

Winner.

Well . . . .

If the young man had said he was going to attend SoundSport Elite, he might have had a chance, and when questioned said " It's a massive visual and sound performance some might liken to an Olympics Opening Ceremony, or maybe a Super Bowl Halftime, " his chances would look even better.

(assuming she didn't notice the plastic pocket protector under his jacket)

My. my...under that hard, irascible, crusty exterior lies the heart of a true Lothario!!! C'mon Sir, admit it...you can't fool us. We've known it all along. :silly: .

• Like 1

Let me get this straight. My boss enters the elevator. Along with him walks his secretary, the living embodiment of Venus here on Earth.

I take it that my job is to recruit two new members to the "Drum and Bugle Corps" fold. Am I correct so far?

Ok...well...look guys -- I love Drum and Bugle Corps. Have for 40 years. However...let's get real.

If my (implied) aim is to attract a new member to fandom...who'l kidding who? The LAST thing I'm going to do is project the nerdy "Hey! I've got something really fun for you. On Saturday, let's go to a DRUM AND BUGLE CORPS show!!!"

I'm sorry...but my fandom allegiances only run so deep....

Edited by HornTeacher
  • Like 2

Let me get this straight. My boss enters the elevator. Along with him walks his secretary, the living embodiment of Venus here on Earth.

I take it that my job is to recruit two new members to the "Drum and Bugle Corps" fold. Am I correct so far?

Ok...well...look guys -- I love Drum and Bugle Corps. Have for 40 years. However...let's get real.

If my (implied) aim is to attract a new member to fandom...who'l kidding who? The LAST thing I'm going to do is project the nerdy "Hey! I've got something really fun for you. On Saturday, let's go to a DRUM AND BUGLE CORPS show!!!"

Hey, at some point, you have to be true to yourself and take a stand. Do you really want to conceal your love of this activity? You should be proselytizing, if you are a true fan.

And besides, why worry about looking like a nerd, unless you really are, you know, nerdy? If you are a cool dude, then your recommendation of seeing a drum corps show will automatically be perceived as cool. Cool is as cool does, you know.

Hey, at some point, you have to be true to yourself and take a stand. Do you really want to conceal your love of this activity? You should be proselytizing, if you are a true fan.

And besides, why worry about looking like a nerd, unless you really are, you know, nerdy? If you are a cool dude, then your recommendation of seeing a drum corps show will automatically be perceived as cool. Cool is as cool does, you know.

Point taken.

My horned-rimmed glasses, well-worn pocket protector, and lifelong IBM preffered parking pass have been readily consigned to the permanent out file.

Go, Troop!!!

(P.S. -- No, in no shape, manner, or form do I consider myself to be a "cool dude." Don't want it...don't need it. End of story.

Edited by HornTeacher

The point of the thread is "the name". Since "Drum Corps International" doesn't express either what the activity is or the experience that the kids have that's a "step above" HS marching band, we have a real naming problem, don't we?

The fact is that the initial answer almost always prompts the answer "What's that?" (if it elicits any answer at all besides rolling eyes) so the answer to "What's that?" seems to be the real point.

It's your 20 seconds. You may choose to leave them with their first impression, or you may choose to explain why you, as a human being (cool or not), would spend your valuable entertainment time allotment driving across country to attend something that most people, rightly or wrongly, spent their high school days looking down their noses upon.

One answer might be: "Think marching band on steroids. It's a national competitive tour of high-school and college-aged performance groups on a football field, coordinated by Drum Corps International into a 100-show competition circuit that ends up at the national championships in Indy. If you like halftime, you'll be blown away by what they do when they compete against each other."

"If you're free, I've got an extra ticket." (looking at her) "I'll buy you dinner before the show if you'll let me tell you about it."

Edited by garfield