DCI DVDs, which years

It is a hold-over from the AL/VFW says. Corps entered side 1 from the end zone, exited side 2 end zone as the next corps was lining up (right after inspection).

There were shows that had 60+ entrants; prelims lasted over 2 days in some cases. The premise was to 'keep the contest moving along'.

I believe 1974 was the first year of the backfield entry.

Plus, it took a few years for the drill writers to possibly realize they could try new formations. Once a few corps began with new style drills, others joined in. It took even longer to get the percussion sections to wander away from the 50.

Plus, it took a few years for the drill writers to possibly realize they could try new formations. Once a few corps began with new style drills, others joined in. It took even longer to get the percussion sections to wander away from the 50.

Part of the reason re percussion is that until about 1980 snares were carried on slings. I have personally never tried, but I suspect it would be rather difficult to side-step at 180bpm and still play cleanly usung said carrying device. Thus, elevator drills persisted.

Snare carriers came out in the early 80s; I think SCV may have been the first. Most lines were thus equipped by 83 or so. Notable exception was the Bridgemen in 83; The legendary blindfold Black Market Juggler solo featured snares on slings.

I believe 1974 was the first year of the backfield entry.

1974 was my first year and no entry from the end zone for Jr or Sr corps. Any idea if back sideline was the only place a corps could enter from in 1974 and 1975 (have 1975 DCI DVD)? IIRC in DCA only the color guard could be on the field at the start of the show in 1974 and rest of the corps had to be outside the lines. 1975/1976 memory is fuzzy but think we (Sr corps) were (barely) on the field to start 1976 show.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

1974 was my first year and no entry from the end zone for Jr or Sr corps. Any idea if back sideline was the only place a corps could enter from in 1974 and 1975 (have 1975 DCI DVD)? IIRC in DCA only the color guard could be on the field at the start of the show in 1974 and rest of the corps had to be outside the lines. 1975/1976 memory is fuzzy but think we (Sr corps) were (barely) on the field to start 1976 show.

If I remember correctly, everyone except the guard had to be behind the back sideline (or in the endzone) in 74-77. 1978 is the first year where I see vids with the hornline starting on the field.

If I remember correctly, everyone except the guard had to be behind the back sideline (or in the endzone) in 74-77. 1978 is the first year where I see vids with the hornline starting on the field.

Thanks, far as Sr side I think our 1976 show started with the soloist on the field with the guard but only playing member on the field.

And remembering (kinda) a York, PA RCA show in 1976 or 1977 where there was a snow fence behind the back sideline (NO idea why). For some corps it was right in the middle of their set up area so judges had to account for it. Had to have a special corps/judges meeting before the show to work that out.

Hmmm. have some 1972 DCA corps on DVD. Pretty sure one was set up in the back corner off the field so no having to set up on the end zone. But appeared to use the opposite end zone of ending point of show. By 1974 we could end facing the audience.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Not the the great sound you mentioned, but here's the drill. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjcxXF66XYQ

Not to highjack the thread....I've loved the 73 Argonne Rebels musically for a very long time...I had no idea their drill design was so asymmetrical. I am amazed...and yet everyone credits SCV for starting that trend...hhhmmm...