Boston Crusaders Spring Fling

Hi Ghost... just got back from Boston's Spring Fling fundraiser tonite in Boston. Great all around nite of cameraderie with folks from diiferent Boston Crusaders eras, some from the 40's, 50's all the way up to even Alums from just a couple of years ago in attendance. Lots of people in attendance.

Boston Crusaders Sr's came out in brand new Cadet style uniforms that were classy and splendid as could be in Red, White, Black. Wonderful new uniforms, imo. They are in great shape. They played the classics including " El Capitan "..... " Yankee Doodle "....." Conquest "( jazzy style )..... " Time to Say Goodbye "..... " Unchained Melody "... and got a Standing O, including from a large contingent right up front of the BAC,Jr.s who ate it up and gave the Corps a well deserved enthusiastic applause. This was a spirited performance by BAC' Sr's, and was one of their best performances in a long time, imo

Later, the 2014 edition of the Boston Crusaders Jr's appeared and they too have brand new uniforms, and they also look classy, with a uniform that bridges nicely the traditional Black and Red style of uniform with just the right modern updating its its construct. Boston tonite played a series of songs before they played their 2014 musical show. This included the 2012 opener, then Dropkick Murphy's " Shipping up to Boston ", then a rewritten " Conquest " and rewritten " Giant ". I loved both 2014 rewrites of these 2 BAC iconic songs, and the Corps played them both exceedingly well, imo

Boston then played their 2014 musical show. Boston's theme this year is " Animal Farm ", the famous George Orwell novel, that portrays a group of farm animals on a farm with an allegory of what the behavior would be with these animals if they organized themselves under Communism as instituted by Russia's Dictator Joseph Stalin. Boston's selection of music fits the theme with musical inspiration drawn from Russian composers, Shostakovich and Prokoview ( but with some Barber surprisingly introduced as well ). Also included is original compositions throughout by current Boston's Brass Arranger Ryan George. The starter is incredibly fast and furious with off the chart BPM's. The best way to describe the music is edgy, aggressive, earthy, and quite original in its composition.... The brass line is playing what appears to me to be a more challenging, more complex musical book than we've perhaps ever heard from a Boston Corps. I think the music fits the theme well, and just as importantly, it fits the bold and aggressive style of the Boston Crusaders. But its more than just bold. It has an elegant sophistication in its " vibe " feel to me as well this year. There is lots of texturing and layering in the brass charts, and the brass line seems mature and strong to me right now in its ability to handle what appears to be a challenging book. The music is appealing to me. I like the ebb and flow to it all, the soft passages are played with good control to these ears, and the fortissimo seems strong enough ( although this was indoors so its hard to know for certain ). Boston has a young woman that plays the flugel horn for the ballad, and she seems very capable to me and her tone quality is first rate to my ears. The ballad is lush, and near the end of it, the lower brass really shine in it with some great cascading parts played well. I really can't comment that much on the Percussion, only that the line seems to also be playing more challenging parts and it appears to me to be handling it well. My overall impression is that the Corps has the potential to be better than last season, and depending upon the Visuals and Guard, perhaps even much better. They definately appear ahead of where they were last year at this time, imo, and their confidence seems very high right now. Its clearly almost impossible to gauge what their placement prospects might be as I have no idea if Corps around them have improved as much as Boston has seemingly improved off my observations on this indoor standstill. But if you like in your music something new, fresh, edgy, earthy, bold, then I think you might like this 2014 edition of the Boston Crusaders. This was my first take in of Boston musically for 2014, and I was not disappointed. If the Visuals and Guard and Show Design are what I'm told they will be by people I know and value their input, then Boston should be a formidable Corps this season, and one with quite an intriguing and very engaging show for themselves for audiences.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 6

Great review Brasso! I am a member of the senior corps and had the opportunity to see them in the park and at the Fling. I agree wholeheartedly with your assessments. From my perspective, this year's musical ensemble is stronger than any in recent memory. They seem to have all the right elements to move up. I think a lot will depend on how this program is presented in the visual show and, of course, the strength of the competition. The kids really seem to get it and are performing as a unit very well. Their deportment is wonderful. They are exuding the confidence and self control they will need to succeed in the higher echelons of DCI.

Thank you for your favorable comments on the senior corps. It was great to be a part of this event and treated by the kids like Rock stars! It is so special to me to be a small part of this organization's 74 year history. I think that Boston will make drum corps fans across the country smile this year.

• Like 1

Great review Brasso! I am a member of the senior corps and had the opportunity to see them in the park and at the Fling. I agree wholeheartedly with your assessments. From my perspective, this year's musical ensemble is stronger than any in recent memory. They seem to have all the right elements to move up. I think a lot will depend on how this program is presented in the visual show and, of course, the strength of the competition. The kids really seem to get it and are performing as a unit very well. Their deportment is wonderful. They are exuding the confidence and self control they will need to succeed in the higher echelons of DCI.

Thank you for your favorable comments on the senior corps. It was great to be a part of this event and treated by the kids like Rock stars! It is so special to me to be a small part of this organization's 74 year history. I think that Boston will make drum corps fans across the country smile this year.

Glad to hear that the Senior Crusaders are doing well too.

Say hi to Jack and the team.

And of course Jim & Ann Hughes.

Excellent review, Brasso. I totally agree with your assessment of Boston's show this year on a first listen. I was very very impressed with the sophistication, intensity, and overall maturity in their performance for this early in the year. They really seem ready to make some serious noise this summer and may just wind up taking some corps normally ahead of them by surprise.