Dci rule discussion

Is there a rule that prohibits drum corps from hiring performers? Like a solo dancer or other soloist. As long as they meet age? I know corps have recruited talent but can they pay talent?

Is there a rule that prohibits drum corps from hiring performers? Like a solo dancer or other soloist.

Nope... not to my knowledge.

Possibly not in a paycheck,

Sure they could. DCI is not like the NCAA that has transfer policies in place, and has restrictions on boosters, cash payments to its amateur performers and so forth. So sure, if a DCI Corps wanted to hire professional performers, or even give walkaround cash payments to marchers, and so forth, to my knowledge there is are no current DCI rules at all prohibiting such activity, Ghost.

Edited by BRASSO

As far as I know, even colleges "find" ways...

If I'm not mistaken, only Division ! colleges are allowed to offer "athletic scholarships" (I'm not sure, but Division !! schools might be able to do so as well, but on more limited terms). As far as I know, Division III colleges are forbidden from offer scholarships based solely on athletics. So...they have ways of getting around it. They don't give "athletic scholarships"...the give "Grant-In-Aid", "Special Exemption"...even "Academic" scholarships (yes, even when not merited) to those who they want to attract into their athletic programs, but who might not attend that college unless they receive some form of economic remuneration. The point is...like in many other instances in life, "Where there is the will, there is a way."

All a corps would have to do if they wish to attract a prospective featured member is to allow some form of "scholarship" or "decreased dues" to that member. It still all boils down to a benefit. Corps A wouldn't have to give me $3,000 to come there; all they'd have to do is say "come play for us for the last 2 weeks of the season, and we won't charge you a nickel." It amounts to the same when compared to all the other MM'S.

PLEASE correct me if I am off-base with this.

Is there a rule that prohibits drum corps from hiring performers? Like a solo dancer or other soloist.

As mentioned, while its certainly permissable under current DCI rules, for all intents and purposes, we are probably not going to see DCI Corps hiring professionals, as from a practical and financial standpoint, a " Pro " is not going to become available to travel with a Corps in summer competition. And if they were, how good can that " Pro " performer really be to give up their Professional income to do summer DCI ? If a " Pro " makes so little dough in that " Pro " performer job to give that up to do Spring- Summer DCI, do you really even want them in your Corps ? I don't think so. Conversely, if their " Pro " performer job payed them well, there's no way in the world they'd give that up in the Spring and Summer to do DCI Summer competitions with a Drum Corps, even if their entire fees were waived and their pockets were lined each week with a little walkaround cash. Corps can barely pay their bills now, so I don't see them paying performers any time soon that would be in addition to their current expenses.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

AFAIK, corps are free to make almost any financial arrangement they wish with a prospective member, as long as her or she does not owe funds to another corps.

Exactly... just like I stated above.