Can the Troopers make Top 12 this year?

Yeah Madison seems to be set up for a major plateau. I just don't know where else they go with that show. They've pretty much maxed this one out.

Crossmen seem to be holding a pretty consistent spread over Troopers. Without a major shake up I think Troopers are the 13th place corps. Colts have less ground to make up on Troopers, but they're going to have to surge to take 13th away from them.

Unfortunately, Colts and Troopers don't meet again until Indy.

At their season-long daily rate of improvement, I believe the Colts would edge out Troopers if they continue at that same rate through Semis.

Actually, at their current rates of improvement, the Troopers would barely edge out Colts for 13th place.

88.693 - Troopers

88.549 - Colts

Having said that, the Blue Devils current rate of improvement would give them a 103 at Semis.

Edited by BaritoneDad

Short answer: yes.

(But will they? We won't absolutely know until August 8.)

Go Troop!!!!!!

Short answer: yes.

(But will they? We won't absolutely know until August 8.)

Go Troop!!!!!!

I wish them luck. These guys were infinitely more entertaining than Madison last night. I hope they can make it to finals.

• Like 1

I wish them luck. These guys were infinitely more entertaining than Madison last night. I hope they can make it to finals.

Thank you for the compliment to my home corps. As a side note, I really enjoy Madison's show. But that's why drum corps is so great - people can like different things and it's all good!

Having said that, the Blue Devils current rate of improvement would give them a 103 at Semis.

That of course is the problem with these averages: the rate of corps' improvements aren't straight lines.

• Like 1

Earlier in the season I would have possibly said yes. At this point however, their show is nowhere near the level of the any of the corps above them. I am also thinking Spirit and Colts will probably overtake them by finals week, as could Academy, Crest or Oregon. Great shows from all of those corps this season(with the exception of Colts horrendous narration)

Well, as of Atlanta, Troopers have improved at 0.526/day. This is shy of their rate last year, but well above the average rate of improvement for twelfth-place corps. In fact, over the past 25 years, only one eventual twelfth-place corps has ever done better, and that was the 1989 Crossmen, whose numbers are skewed by a 16-pt. jump between their first and second shows. If the Troopers were to continue at their current pace, they'd score 88.510 in Semis, which normally would be enough to put them in Finals.

However, the Crossmen this year have improved from 62.200 on June 20 in Clovis to 83.050 on July 26 in Atlanta. And that's an average rate of 0.579/day. If the Crossmen keep up that rate for the next thirteen days, their Semis score will be 90.580.

Lest you think that these numbers strongly suggest that either corps is likely to catch Madison Scouts, let me note that they have improved at nearly the same rate as Troopers, and they started with a notably higher score than Crossmen or Troopers: going from 66.200 at Rockford on June 20 to 84.950 at Atlanta on July 26 is 0.521 per day, which would give them 91.720 at Semis.

No eleventh, twelfth, or thirteen-place corps have ever scored numbers like these, so something is very probably going to give.

Interesting. On another thread about 2-3 weeks ago, there was a discussion as to if and/or when we'll see a finals night with all corps scoring above 90 in the semis. The concensus feeling consisted basically of "never," "not for many years yet," and "not in our lifetime." I made the statement that "I think it will come a lot sooner than any of us thinks." IF the Crossmen were to indeed hold to their daily improvement as well-cited by N.E. (above), and IF they go into the finals in 12th place, then I think it's being lost on some that the question we discussed a few weeks back will happen not "sooner than any of us thinks" -- it would, in fact, happen this very year.

As I said...interesting. Suffice it to say (and without yet having specifically looked it up), I would dare say that we will, this year, see the highest score never to have made finals.

Edited by HornTeacher

Earlier in the season I would have possibly said yes. At this point however, their show is nowhere near the level of the any of the corps above them. I am also thinking Spirit and Colts will probably overtake them by finals week, as could Academy, Crest or Oregon. Great shows from all of those corps this season(with the exception of Colts horrendous narration)

Sheesh. Why not throw in Pioneer for good measure?

• Like 1