Rain outs affect on competitiveness.

With the Blue Stars potentially looking at their 3rd rain out in a row, wondering at what point the lack of exposure affects the corps when they finally get to go head to head with other corps in their range who have had several viewings. My guess/hope is not much but just curious on what people think.

I really don't want to stir the pot on this... but here it goes.

While it is important for a corps to have critiques for each caption regularly, this does not mean every day. Maybe some corps like to have more than others. But as long as the corps gets to practice during the day, it seems that the lack of performance does not make that much of a difference.

Why? Well lets just look at the schedules.

Over the week and a half or so (lets go from today to next saturday) the Blue Devils perform three times. June 28, 29, and july 5. Part of this is due to their travel from california to wisconsin next week, in fact, most of it is due to that. In comparison SCV performs 8 times over the same span as they go to AZ, and then go north to OR, WA, and then go to DATR.

It seems BD is not that concerned by how few performances they will be putting on in the next two weeks.

While its not the same as unscheduled rainouts on performances, I think its valid to compare them. As long as the corps has something to go off of, and they do, they should be okay as long as they can actually practice. This was BK's problem this pre-season which kept them from finishing their show on time.

Doesn't BD normally have fewer performances generally anyways? I believe I heard someone say something in the low 20's.

They generally do. of course it doesn't seem to hurt them.

The Blue Devils in 2012 had over 30 % less shows than any of their 4 chief competitors in 2012. These were not as a result of " rainouts ". This was the result of the choice to do so. Did having over 30% less shows to compete in for 2012 effect BD negatively in 2012. No. Not at all. BD won DCI in 2012, and convincingly as well..

" rainouts " effect fans way more than they do Corps competitiveness. The scores and placements on Finals Night have nothing at all to do with any rainouts that might have occured along thne way that season.

Edited by BRASSO

Posted this in another thread, but meant to post it here:

I think the greatest threat from rain outs is not to the competitiveness of the individual corps, but to the fiscal health of the show's sponsor. It costs so much to put on a show that the show sponsor usually depends heavily on a big walk-up crowd buying tickets at the gate. That can often be the difference in making money on a show or losing a substantial sum, and if it's raining -- or even if it just LOOKS like rain on the afternoon of a show, that will have a hugely detrimental effect on day-of-show ticket sales.

And rain outs can also have a lingering effect on the following year's ticket sales, because a lot of people (who aren't drum corps NUTS like all of us) won't be as likely to buy tickets for next year's show if they paid $25-$30 or more to not see a show that gets rained out. And as far as I know, most of if not all shows have a no refund policy in the event of rain outs.

Edited by oldsoprano
  • Like 1