cascades 2014

They posted this on Facebook today:

"Cascades finish off the day with a run through backed by an excited and supportive audience of family, friends, and staff! We're excited to blow the house down at ‪#‎DCISeattle‬ in Renton on July 5th!‪#‎FillTheStadiumWithGreen‬"

10257905_514064282028674_570770433141259

Nice to see the color guard with some size after having less than 8 last year. I've always really enjoyed the Cascades, love the colors of the sideboards and props, they will look really neat with their awesome corps uniform. Excited to see where they are headed with the admin. changes this year, lots of positive stuff on Facebook from them during spring training!

Whether or not to publicize nationally when you're a lower tier corps is an interesting topic. Seems there are good reasons for either. I would imagine that lower tier corps all dream of that show of shows that becomes the instant word of mouth hit.

Edited by luv4corps

Jersey Surf had it a couple years ago.

I think when you're a lower tier corps you have nothing to lose (let's not talk monetary value). You get the occasional person, usually a newbie, who may not appreciate the smaller corps, but without them DCI wouldn't survive. People generally hate on those who are successful and lift up the underdog. Promotion isn't everything, but it is an enhancer for an organization looking to gain interest in members/donors.

Jersey Surf had it a couple years ago.

I think when you're a lower tier corps you have nothing to lose (let's not talk monetary value). You get the occasional person, usually a newbie, who may not appreciate the smaller corps, but without them DCI wouldn't survive. People generally hate on those who are successful and lift up the underdog. Promotion isn't everything, but it is an enhancer for an organization looking to gain interest in members/donors.

Which is why I think the newer/younger corps need to play to the crowd as much as they can while still trying to get the higher scores....play music the crowd knows, get younger kids interested, make it look like they would wanna join that corps first. Maybe that's kind of an old school attitude, but that kind of attitude would work.

Which is why I think the newer/younger corps need to play to the crowd as much as they can while still trying to get the higher scores....play music the crowd knows, get younger kids interested, make it look like they would wanna join that corps first. Maybe that's kind of an old school attitude, but that kind of attitude would work.

playing what the crowd may relate to and the kids relate to are two different things most often. Remember Surf played music that most older folks related to and the history of another corps. I do get what you are saying though.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

playing what the crowd may relate to and the kids relate to are two different things most often. Remember Surf played music that most older folks related to and the history of another corps. I do get what you are saying though.

True true...I was kinda typing on the fly and didn't have time to explain alot. lol I just meant do something different, don't try to be BD or the Cadets, because you aren't. Aspire maybe, but do something to set yourself apart from everyone else. Hard to explain what's in my head I guess.

• Like 1

True true...I was kinda typing on the fly and didn't have time to explain alot. lol I just meant do something different, don't try to be BD or the Cadets, because you aren't. Aspire maybe, but do something to set yourself apart from everyone else. Hard to explain what's in my head I guess.

100% agree with you. My advice when I would consult with a bottom # corps , or newer corps or OC is exactly what you said..Be yourself, show good training, and find a way to stand out and be remembered.

• Like 2