Crossmen - question for you.

This thread is hilarious and tragic. Thanks for not bailing, actucker. The entertainment level here is high.

If he bails I'll pick up the slack. I've been sitting here lurking...waiting for my moment to strike.

• Like 1

And now it allllllllllll makes sense. :smile: I'm actually talking to a "drum instructor" (told you I was going to hurt a few feelings). I've made my living teaching as well. I'm a band director. And believe me when I tell you............I've had some all out shouting matches with your type over these very subjects on the field and in my office and have even fired a few over the years for overstepping such issues (fired one once for telling a drum major to follow the drumline after I told the whole band including the drumline to watch her). It all makes sense now. :smile: I'll bet you are just the pride of the director(s) you work for. :lle:

You haven't hurt my feelings at all. I know how good I am at what I do, and the opinion of someone who I don't know and who clearly doesn't understand how ensemble timing for a drum corps works in the modern era doesn't much matter to me.

All of that said, are you going to actually respond to anything I have to say, or are you going to continue to deflect the conversation by trying to belittle me as "my type".

• Like 1

You haven't hurt my feelings at all. I know how good I am at what I do, and the opinion of someone who I don't know and who clearly doesn't understand how ensemble timing for a drum corps works in the modern era doesn't much matter to me.

All of that said, are you going to actually respond to anything I have to say, or are you going to continue to deflect the conversation by trying to belittle me as "my type".

I think I've made my point plenty clear enough. :smile:

I think I've made my point plenty clear enough. :smile:

If your point is, percussionists aren't musicians, DCI isn't musical because I say so, and I don't know how to explain why I think any of that, then yeah. You've made your point completely clear. I'm still waiting for an answer to any of my points/questions.

• Like 1

the elephant in the room is that before the metronome was common, corps simply didn't play as well together as they do now. a lot of it was very sloppy, and dare i say not musical?

....or they watched the conductor who was the metronome? I remember watching the DM, who was listening to a metronome conduct.

The metronome is just one way to achieve the goal. It's not the only way...

Wait a minute, OP is a band director that can't understand the advantages and need for a Dr. Beat and thinks the activity was better musically in the 80's and thinks it has been taken over by sound engineers?! I call shenanigans. I pray you are not honest.

I can not imagine these thoughts coming from an educated and rational adult. You are arguing on the internet with strangers on a forum specifically dedicated to people walking around a football field making noise.....and you are doing it poorly! I can not imagine someone with this thought process responsible for education young minds. It stifles progress.

Common sense alone would dictate that if something has become "standard" there's most likely a sound, rational reason. This is an activity of creativity that constantly challenges itself. No one is doing anything just because it's the way it has always been. Your own statements attest to the constant change the DCI has gone through in the last 30+ years. You aren't offending anyone. You simply don't make a point.

Jesus man, I really think you need to reevaluate your priorities. I only responded because I loathe it when people don't listen to what they've been told and pester a point. Basically it's something I deal with in my job daily.

• Like 1

If your point is, percussionists aren't musicians, DCI isn't musical because I say so, and I don't know how to explain why I think any of that, then yeah. You've made your point completely clear. I'm still waiting for an answer to any of my points/questions.

Ok, I'll bite and pretend you are right (even though I went number by number with your points earlier)

As for the videos. I watched them all. Know all of those shows very well and I will grant you, they all qualify as "musical moments" (especially Creep which is one of my favorites in recent years). But my problem is that those moments are much further and fewer between than they used to be. Yes, "because I say so"....meaning....."in my opinion" (which last I checked, I'm entitled to one).

Finally, you keep bringing up "Buddy Rich" and now that I realize who I'm talking to, let me just say that you aren't even old enough to have seen him or his band live. I AM.....and have. You don't have a CLUE what you are talking about to insinuate that his band was "strictly accuracy" based. His band(s) swung, his band(s) had soul and his band(s) generated emotion in everything they did. If you think you are going to educate me on Buddy Rich, son, I will school you! You don't know who you are talking to. I've been places you haven't even seen because they didn't exist anymore once you were finally a thought for this world.

Edited by bmjfelts1988

Wait a minute, OP is a band director that can't understand the advantages and need for a Dr. Beat and thinks the activity was better musically in the 80's and thinks it has been taken over by sound engineers?! I call shenanigans. I pray you are not honest.

I can not imagine these thoughts coming from an educated and rational adult. You are arguing on the internet with strangers on a forum specifically dedicated to people walking around a football field making noise.....and you are doing it poorly! I can not imagine someone with this thought process responsible for education young minds. It stifles progress.

Common sense alone would dictate that if something has become "standard" there's most likely a sound, rational reason. This is an activity of creativity that constantly challenges itself. No one is doing anything just because it's the way it has always been. Your own statements attest to the constant change the DCI has gone through in the last 30+ years. You aren't offending anyone. You simply don't make a point.

Jesus man, I really think you need to reevaluate your priorities. I only responded because I loathe it when people don't listen to what they've been told and pester a point. Basically it's something I deal with in my job daily.

Hold it hold it hold it. I never said I didn't see advantages for using a Dr. Beat. I use one regularly. The difference is, I make sure the kids I teach don't depend on it. It's a great tool but it is not the end all be all. And as for my comment about "sound engineers", you are twisting my statements out of their context. I made that comment about the professional music business to show how similar the fates have been of the two "activities". Slow down, and read my comments in their context, please.

• Like 1