Crossmen - question for you.

No you haven't.

1: How do you explain the video clips I posted if you say that there is no flexibility in time?

2: Who are these "non-musicians" you claim to be in charge of programming and instruction?

3: How do you reconcile your assertion that not following a conductor contradicts all music education with the fact that you hold up Buddy Rich as an example of musicality, where there is no conductor and the drummer dictates the time much like modern drum corps and marching bands?

4: How do you reconcile your dislike of music that is precise with the fact that the musician you hold up as an example of musicality is known for being a stickler for precision (as evidenced by the recorded rants posted earlier), and who's chief detractors claim that he was "too perfect".

5: What gives you the right to make a generalization about battery percussionists that they "aren't musicians" by suggesting that there are "a few exceptions"?

Again, you asked for input and discussion based on your assertions that you can't back up. When I point those things you, you don't have an answer, so rather than actually come up with an answer that makes any sense, you try to hide behind "that's my opinion". You are the one who made these assertions. Its up to you to back them up. If you can't, then just admit that you don't like modern drum corps. But stop with the "its not musical" garbage, because its insulting to the huge number of great musicians in the membership and on the staff of all of these drum corps. There is a difference between not liking something and saying that it isn't any good. I don't particularly like country music. That doesn't mean it isn't music, or that the musicians performing it aren't musicians.

I've already answered all of those questions except ONE.......that being #2. And I'm not going to answer it because 1) doing so not add anything to the dicussion at all and 2) it would be slanderous.

I suppose I've also ignored one other. No, I have not watched your videos yet. For cryin out loud.......can you not be a little patient with that? I have not had access to a full size computer yet today. Geeze! Sorry if I can't exactly do everything you want when you want it. Chill.......I'll watch your videos when I can get around to it and you will just have to wait until I'm good and ready.

Edited by bmjfelts1988

But the sound from the Dr Beat moves at the same speed as the sound from the DM voice, rim-shots, the starter gun, and everything else.

Yes, but that's why the Dr Beat (or the speaker for it, at least) is kept backfield. As the sound of the met travels forward, each section will add to it, so all the different sounds arrive at the front together. During performances, the timekeepers are the battery, which is why they are generally kept behind the hornline in the drill, except for featured moments.

Getting all of this to work properly is really complicated, which is why marchers will have different duties (listen back, watch dm, watch someone else's feet, etc) at different times depending on who is playing, who they're playing with, and where they are on the field.

I've already answered all of those questions except ONE.......that being #2. And I'm not going to answer it because 1) doing so not add anything to the dicussion at all and 2) it would be slanderous.

I suppose I've also ignored one other. No, I have not watched your videos yet. For cryin out loud.......can you not be a little patient with that? I have not had access to a full size computer yet today. Geeze! Sorry if I can't exactly do everything you want when you want it. Chill.......I'll watch your videos when I can get around to it and you will just have to wait until I'm good and ready.

Actually you haven't answered ANY of those questions. You've tried to dodge them, sure.

You're the one making the generalizations here. You've already slandered pretty much anyone who runs a drum corps. What's to stop you from getting more specific.

Actually you haven't answered ANY of those questions. You've tried to dodge them, sure.

You're the one making the generalizations here. You've already slandered pretty much anyone who runs a drum corps. What's to stop you from getting more specific.

You are wrong. I've answered all but the two I just admittedly dodged. Again, you just refuse to accept my answers. Give it a rest. I'm done with you.

Yes, but that's why the Dr Beat (or the speaker for it, at least) is kept backfield. As the sound of the met travels forward, each section will add to it, so all the different sounds arrive at the front together. During performances, the timekeepers are the battery, which is why they are generally kept behind the hornline in the drill, except for featured moments.

Getting all of this to work properly is really complicated, which is why marchers will have different duties (listen back, watch dm, watch someone else's feet, etc) at different times depending on who is playing, who they're playing with, and where they are on the field.

It's really not that complicated. We just make it complicated. Lancer is right. Light travels faster than sound. If we would go back to just watching the drum major, we'd be surprised how well it would work. But instead, we'd rather let the tail wag the dog. There is ONE corps though that from what I gather is not as bad with this as others. I won't mention any names but it's a corps that a lot of people hate that wins a lot. Funny, isn't it - and they have the most experienced staff of all (especially musically). Also funny, the corps that is the most progressive in terms of design is in some ways one of the most old school in terms of their approach (especially musically).

Edited by bmjfelts1988

You are wrong. I've answered all but the two I just admittedly dodged. Again, you just refuse to accept my answers. Give it a rest. I'm done with you.

Sorry, but you haven't. Show me where you answered any of those questions and I'll happily accept those answers, but as of yet, you've done nothing but try to tap dance around them.

Sorry, but you haven't. Show me where you answered any of those questions and I'll happily accept those answers, but as of yet, you've done nothing but try to tap dance around them.

Ok, fair enough. For starters, lets look at your questions again.

1: How do you explain the video clips I posted if you say that there is no flexibility in time?

I already admitted. I haven't had time to watch them yet. I'll get to it when I can and you will just have to wait.

2: Who are these "non-musicians" you claim to be in charge of programming and instruction?

I already admitted, I refuse to answer this and explained my reasons why.

3: How do you reconcile your assertion that not following a conductor contradicts all music education with the fact that you hold up Buddy Rich as an example of musicality, where there is no conductor and the drummer dictates the time much like modern drum corps and marching bands?

4: How do you reconcile your dislike of music that is precise with the fact that the musician you hold up as an example of musicality is known for being a stickler for precision (as evidenced by the recorded rants posted earlier), and who's chief detractors claim that he was "too perfect".

3 and 4 are the same question worded differently. And I responded to it on post #16 when I said "Buddy controlled the tempo - and it breathed. Which is why the band swung so hard." Now granted, you disagreed with this answer in post #17. But that doesn't mean the answer didn't exist. In fact, quite the opposite - you would have had nothing to disagree with in post #17 if I didn't answer it. (neat how that works, isn't it?) :winky:

5: What gives you the right to make a generalization about battery percussionists that they "aren't musicians" by suggesting that there are "a few exceptions"?

What gives me the "right" is the fact that I indeed, have a "right" to this opinion whether you agree with it or not.

Satisfied now? (probably not but that's just too bad for you).