50th Annual Drum Corps Grand Prix

Yes really.

I'm not shocked by the top 3 scores at all tonight. Pretty predictable actually. They were +\ - one point in either direction on the 2 points plus per week. Hard to beat that.

What tonight's scores really show is that CV when they go up north and go head to head against DCA NE corps they Get a fair shake on the scores. Not so much when they get scored in the south.

Some of us that watch these scores. That get camp reports. That watch videos and listen to staff members , membership and that have people on the ground that we trust to give us the right information in DCA that read and compare the recaps ... we had a feeling that the score they received in Florida was not in line with where they were at competivly this season. Corps generally do not bump up 6 points in two weeks. If Cabs or Bucs jumped 6 points in two weeks someone would be calling foul right now.

Respectively DCA judges when they come to the south historically seem to not pay attention to where CV is scoring or should I say should be scoring . Hopefully that will be addressed before the southern showdown,

If CV would have had a score in Florida that some of us thought was more in line than what it Was. I suspect it might not have held them back as much as it did tonight and we might have had even a tighter race.

No matter. Great job tonight CV and have a great rest of the season.

funny thing is, many of us also have eyes and ears all over the place, and in some cases, some felt CV was dead on in Florida, and yes, you can jump 6 points in two weeks.

Plus...CV was against corps in their direct strata last night, which they weren't in Florida.

Remember, the job is to rank, THEN rate. so CV's placement in Florida was right, and then the judges gave the spreads based on what they saw. in fact looking at the Florida recap, they had some downright scrooges out there.

Why aren't you complaining about the fact that MBI went down 2 points from their last number?

• Like 1

I think a lot of this "slam dunk" argument is going to come down to how valid the spread between Cabs and Bucs in one caption is - over a point in ensemble music is not just a slam dunk, it's a statement.

If that number doesn't hold up with other judges, the whole show looks different.

Numbers management is the biggest issue in judging - always has been.

What Robb said is that Bucs, from the stands, aren't in the same musical class as Cabs. (over 1 pt in a single caption).

If that turns out to be just his opinion, don't get too comfy with the slam dunk.

Big spreads within other close corps too, so this one judge (a good guy, and former Buc - so no axe to grind that I know of) had a hugely disproportionate affect on the outcome.

Just food for thought.

BTW, for dessert, Bucs were the same difference from Sun as they were from Cabs in this caption.

does that square with everyone's evaluation?

and the drum sheet, the one sheet judges aren't afraid to use spreads, had a huge spread going in Bucs favor. So they kind of negated each other.

well and Robb's a drummer, so he's not afraid to put out a spread either

right there are no attacks. that's good. but what i don't like is when people go to their corners and start to say things about the spreads. we always get that. this is one DCA panel. next week may be different then it will be who's panel was right. i just see this coming. as for camel's predictability? i've been doing that for years and generally it works. i think DCA has a formula that works.

it should be different week to week! It's called judge the show of the day!

Last night, when you add it all up, Cabs were better! That's awesome! Next week, maybe it goes a different way! That's awesome too!

Since 2005 on this forum we have had #####ing ad nauseum because it was always Bucs, Bucs, Bucs. Now we have a race, and the corps down to the 6th spot are improving a lot as well! This means, while I thought last year was the best finals in DCA history, this year may be even better!

• Like 2

From a lurker in this thread - the quality of analysis and discussion is phenomenal here. The scores appeared to have lined up pretty well with what John saw in his instant reviews nicely. A lot of positives in this thread - I hope you all report from Secaucus next weekend - maybe I need to get myself there too!

From a lurker in this thread - the quality of analysis and discussion is phenomenal here. The scores appeared to have lined up pretty well with what John saw in his instant reviews nicely. A lot of positives in this thread - I hope you all report from Secaucus next weekend - maybe I need to get myself there too!

I may go to Secaucus...not sure yet.

I may go to Secaucus...not sure yet.

i hope you do. it would be great to get the instant review.

i'll have to make sure I charge the phone before Downingtown

i'll have to make sure I charge the phone before Downingtown

Good, because despite the Downingtown show being exactly two miles from my house, I will not be there. I will be on a Caribbean cruise, so I win by default.

• Like 4

The reviews and analysis on this show by posters is outstanding, and I compliment all. I find it interesting getting everyone's thoughtful perspective without bickering. Thank you one and all.

Too bad Hichcliffe won't be renovated for a few more years ( plans are made - historic designation obtained )!

Wow, that's awesome! I can't wait to see something actually happen with that place in the future, especially if it's another Grand Prix!