50th Annual Drum Corps Grand Prix

Plus...CV was against corps in their direct strata last night, which they weren't in Florida.

Remember, the job is to rank, THEN rate. so CV's placement in Florida was right, and then the judges gave the spreads based on what they saw. in fact looking at the Florida recap, they had some downright scrooges out there.

Why aren't you complaining about the fact that MBI went down 2 points from their last number?

Yes! If they lowballed the first corps... everyone else gets lowballed if they remain consistent.

Is part of the MBI issue the DCI panels along with DCA panels? I'd think tolerance levels might be a bit different on both cases even with the same sheets.

>>

I may go to Secaucus...not sure yet.

<<

I'll be MCing ... stop by and say hello if you do go ...

:-)

As for Secaucus, No. I work with a church group that Saturday and it'll be the first time I've seen almost all of them since I had surgery. Also a long drive from H-burg. Wayne was one heck of a drive. The last leg from 287 to the Carvel ice cream in Wayne was pretty harrowing. Felt like I was in a Road Warrior flick. Some lady in an Altima drove like she had a doorbell for a gas pedal from I-80 to the Carvel.. And that's the crust of that whole pie. :wall:

I'll go over that and the smoking Chevy van I think had guys from Thunderdome hiding inside ready to jump out and carjack people, the Porsche 911 someone thought they were improving by changing it so it sounded like an asthmatic chainsaw, and the serious multi-car crash I evidently just missed by less than 3 minutes that looked like some kinda Mel Gibson action scene later in my full review. :laugh:

I will be in D-Town, though. :wink:

• Like 1

Ray asked: "BTW, for dessert, Bucs were the same difference from Sun as they were from Cabs in this (music ensemble) caption.

does that square with everyone's evaluation?"

That "same difference" is NOT a mathematical certainty..... CV appeared between Bucs and Cabs...... Sun was on 1st.... FOUR corps before Bucs... and two of them topped the Bucs to add to the validity........ yet, change the order of appearance and the scores tighten or spread.... all RELATIVE.

I think the spreads in both Music Ensemble and percussion are interesting.

I probably should have left it at that. By the way I'm not saying "wrong" (I'm in Texas, and even if I were there those guys are qualified to make statements).

But it is interesting.

Body slam? Time will tell...

Edited by rayfallon
  • Like 1

I think the spreads in both Music Ensemble and percussion are interesting.

I probably should have left it at that. By the way I'm not saying "wrong" (I'm in Texas, and even if I were there those guys are qualified to make statements).

But it is interesting.

Body slam? Time will tell...

A 'body slam' is a one-time occurrence. A 'slam dunk' means you'll have an easy time of something. One happened last night, the other one certainly didn't (and won't).

• Like 1

Kamarag- Thanks for your kind words regarding the Bushwackers performance at the Gran Prix last night. It is appreciated and we very much hope to fulfill your expectations of us this season. Camp weekend coming up and then Downingtown. Thanks to everyone for their support!

Kamarag- Thanks for your kind words regarding the Bushwackers performance at the Gran Prix last night. It is appreciated and we very much hope to fulfill your expectations of us this season. Camp weekend coming up and then Downingtown. Thanks to everyone for their support!

I'm really looking forward to seeing how Bush's show grows, especially as they add more thematic stuff in.

• Like 1

Pretty good performance wise. The show is very simply designed. Four or five classical pieces with no real connection. Work to do there for sure. Looks like a very performed driven show, so they have work to do. Wish hey had done something to the unis to make them less generic.

But it's a good start, building on last years finish.

I'm not speaking for the staff here... but I believe part of the idea behind the tune selection was to incorporate at least one Sunrisers classic (Procession of the Nobles, which Sun first played in 1969, and was pretty much a groundbeaking song for that era in DCA) and another tune Sun performed (Comedians Gallop, 1998)... to help honor the corps' 60th anniversary.

Good, because despite the Downingtown show being exactly two miles from my house, I will not be there. I will be on a Caribbean cruise, so I win by default.

that's ok because yesterday I was playing daddy, so I won by default

So disappointed I didn't make this show!!!!! I guess I'll have to subscribe to the fan network and watch them. I did hear Cabs were just absolutely phenominal.

I agree with John that the Cabs have a great tuba line again this year. I haven't seen enough of the other corps to make my opinion permanent but after what I saw in Wildwood and with Cabs beating Bucs this weekend I have no doubt it'll be confirmed. Although I'd have to give props to the baritone line for Cabs this year. They may not be the best or whatever, but MAN what an improvement over last year!! I don't think that can be stated enough.

The Cabs have always had awesome mello and trumpet lines, but add in the awesome tuba line of last year and again this year, plus the huge improvement in the baritone line....wow such an awesome wall of sound hitting us in the stands. Those new horns they got really help too. Good for the Cabs brass line.

• Like 1