50th Annual Drum Corps Grand Prix

And of course, leave it up to the Cab homers...who after having their heads handed to them for the better part of a decade, FINALLY hand the Bucs their first regular season loss since 2005, and all the homers can do is ##### about how Cabs got hosed in percussion. It's politics I tell you!!

Seriously?? So which one are you Statler or Waldorf?

• Like 1

And of course, leave it up to the Cab homers...who after having their heads handed to them for the better part of a decade, FINALLY hand the Bucs their first regular season loss since 2005, and all the homers can do is ##### about how Cabs got hosed in percussion. It's politics I tell you!!

Can you even read? Where in this thread has anyone suggested that Bucs didn't deserve to win drums on Saturday? Heck, most of the discussion has been from folks that are pretty darned objective.

• Like 4

>>Seriously?? So which one are you Statler or Waldorf? <<

If you're referring to the Muppets, that would be Statler and Hilton ...

:-)

• Like 1

What you need to understand is that only content that is achieved can be given credit. It doesn't matter what you do, if it's not properly achieved. I'll agree that Bucs and C2 are *designed* on similar levels when it comes to Music Ensemble, but there's absolutely no question that C2 *achieved* at a much higher level on Saturday night, hence the spread. As I talked about in my previous post, excellence can drive composition, and this is very true in Bucs' case where the content cannot be credited without the performance. Which, as I said, will no doubt happen sooner rather than later.

Trust me when I tell you that the people posting extensively on this topic are not only very informed, they are extremely knowledgeable and experience on the topic of judging in general and music ensemble in particular.

flag on the play.

illegal use of logic and truth.

loss of down, 2 drinks minimum on your tab and on my liver.

That too is somewhat confusing. Not your explanation. Makes sense. However, the percussion judge and ME judge clearly weren't at the same show. I was at the show as well just left of center field, about 5 rows from the bottom. I heard the same tears. How does this earn Reading an 18.2 in percussion? They clearly weren't achieving at a high level when they have difficulties playing within the ensemble. And an 18.2 is a number more characteristic of a mid-august number. While Cabs are well above the curve this season. I don't think ANYONE would be deserved of such a number in mid-July. I'm no adjudicator by any means, but this seems more like a single adjudicator trying to determine the outcome of the show.

it makes perfect sense.

they are looking at 2 different things, from two different vantage points. The percussion judge is on the field. From there, trying to call an ensemble tear is suicide. The drum guy is on the field, looking at the nuts and bolts of what the percussion ensemble is playing and how they are playing it, and discussing the inherent risks involvd with the visual, uniformity of approach etc etc.

the ME guy is up in the box, looking at the big picture. He IS in the right place to call an ensemble tear, and probably likely to pinpoint the cause. He's not looking at the percussion nuts and bolts, he's looking at the entire program.

Sure was GREAT to see so many GREAT corps so early in the season...

Wasn't it?

We sure had a great time! Good luck to everyone this weekend. Remember folks, we still have about six weeks in the season. Lots of drum corps to play out yet.

See you all down the road.

Dan

• Like 2

I don't think the ME problems really have that much to do with the percussion score. It is extremely difficult to hear ensemble issues when your on the field focusing on a single section. Thats why there used to be an ensemble percussion guy in the stands. However, it is crazy to believe that from the field Bucs were 2pts better than Cabs and 1.2pts better than C2. Whats more interesting is that the percussion judge popped that mid-august number with 2 corps still to perform.. So if CV and Cabs were both better you would have had a corps scoring in the top of the percussion box on july 12th!!

This I know.....

the judge that night isn't likely to pop a huge number unless they feel it's earned. Hell, as a player under that person, I just received praise for a season from 20+ years ago LOL. Now, I wasn't there, so I can't agree or disagree on how everyone performed, and the Fan Network isn't the place to try and second guess, but given that this guy was the percussion caption head for several years, and very instrumental in taking DCA from the "it's all about the snares" to where it is now, I'm sure they have a valid reason for the numbers he gave. granted, some corps that night may not have liked it, but he isn't about to hand out a number he can't justify

Whoever scores highest, wins. :tongue:

that'll be a free drink sir.

• Like 1