Louisiana Stars

y'all just wait till you see the show if you think Battle Hymn sounds good. :) I'm pretty sure a video will be posted after their first actual judged performances.

They will at least be at the San Antonio regional so that's a big step up from last year. They'll get to be in Minneaoplis also to compete with some more open class corps. So happy to see this going on in our home state. The majority of the membership is from this region so it goes to show that Louisiana really does have talent.

What is the age make-up of the corps? It's that catch-22 situation IMO for a new corps - you want to have members young enough that can return to help build the corps to higher levels, but you need older members with the talent to help the corps have good shows and catch the attention of fans and potential members. I hope they have a good mix.

This corps is the real deal. I too saw them in Muscatine and took the time to talk with the director and a couple of the brass staff.

Firstly, let me say I've not seen a debut (of a lower division corps) like this since Academie Musicale. THEY WERE JAW DROPPINGLY GOOD FOR THEIR FIRST EVER COMPETITION. Were they to compete, there is no doubt in my mind they would place 8-10th in Open Class finals this year.

Info I gleaned in conversation:

They recruited by simply announcing their intent to form a corps on facebook. Members hail from LA, MS, AR, and TX. They have minimal sponsorship from a few local businesses in Lafayette. The director, Mr. Nick Simon, is about the only administrator. They have had great support from the University of Louisiana at Lafayette. The horns and battery percussion are being borrowed from the Rajin Cajun marching band. They have the Cajun's old uniforms and get to rehearse using the University's facilities. All the visual staff are ex-BD - for the rest of staff follow this link http://louisianastars.org/staff-2/ The short, four show, itinerary was what DCI recommended and would allow - a good idea IMHO as no one on staff has taken a corps on the road before (if I am to believe what I was told).

I urge you to support this corps. They appear to be doing all the right things at the right pace. According to Nick, T-shirts will be available at the July 21 Lafayette show and then online.

Some excellent Regiment alum horn staff that has taught and toured with Regiment before, too.

We are excited in this state to have our own corps. Many high schools in south LA let them borrow contras for the season. They are slowly gaining support. Students in the state are hearing nothing but positive things about the Stars. I know a few members of the staff and they are very very excited about the future for the corps.

:ninja::withstupid:

No offense intended Mr. T. - These guys rattled the overhang on the concourse yesterday at "the Bank". Very big sound from a new unit on the move up!

Best of luck to to them as the summer progresses.

Thanks for coming 'up nort' - ya, sure, you betcha!!

Pat

What is the rest of their schedule? DCI.org only shows them attending 3 shows total in 2015 yet it appears they are doing more than that.

What is the rest of their schedule? DCI.org only shows them attending 3 shows total in 2015 yet it appears they are doing more than that.

They have 3 contests left...tonight in Great Bend, this weekend in San Antonio and July 20 home show in Lafayette. They also have a couple other exhibitions during the next week.

What is the name of their show? It's not listed anywhere that I can find.