Gone are the days......

are you saying they will ascend to the throne based on WHO they are verses the performances?

No... what makes you think that ? I didn't even read into HIS comments that he thinks that DCI is fixed. Are you saying that you concluded from his remarks that he thinks DCI is fixed ?

Edited by BRASSO

This is a straw man argument. The issue I was raising was the statement that "Cadets will win because of WHO they are" - that's just utter BS

It's not a straw man argument. I wasn't addressing that statement. I was addressing your other complaint that rainshdw08 has complained numerous times about Cadets' show. The facts don't bear you out. That was the entirety of my argument.

No... what makes you think that ? I didn't even read into HIS comments that he thinks that DCI is fixed. Are you saying that you concluded from his remarks that he thinks DCI is fixed ?

As for the Cadets...sigh, they are just too boring for me this year, they don't get me excited. Yet, they will probably win because they are the Cadets. Like others have said in this thread...it doesn't matter how bad you are from one night to the next. If your BD, Cadets or Crown you have a shot, everyone else, you don't

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding?

It's not a straw man argument. I wasn't addressing that statement. I was addressing your other complaint that rainshdw08 has complained numerous times about Cadets' show. The facts don't bear you out. That was the entirety of my argument.

ok man. Three times / numerous times. It's not that big a deal to "debate" -- carry on!

Yes, George here is overstating his complaint with the poster. George got off on the wrong foot right from the getgo here, imo, in his reply to the poster by demanding the poster " say something positive " The implication here is that from George's perspective the poster in his remarks above didn't say anything positive, when clearly the poster did " say something positive ". Quite a few " positives" were said by the poster as a matter of fact in his Corps assessment remarks. My guess, George here overlooked those positives. George then went on and told us quite candidly he personally did not like those Corps that the poster said several positive things about. So who actually in their remarks today regarding other Corps and another poster has been more negative ? That poster ? Or George here ? I guess readers will have to read the poster's remarks, coupled with his daughter's input remarks, and then George remarks on those Corps that the poster enjoyed, and then George's remarks today to determine for themselves who has said more positive things today on this thread about the Corps that the poster made his personal ( and his daughter's ) assessments on.

Edited by BRASSO

I was thinking about this topic the other day and came to the realization that what I want would never come to fruition.

I would like to see 2 separate titles handed out. One that strictly takes into account the performance of the corps and nothing else. It wouldn't matter how original the show was or how it fit into some overarching theme. Demand would also be taken into account but the award's focus would be to encourage high levels of accomplishment and the pursuit of perfection in performance.

The second award would be a design award given to the staff with the most creative product. This award is a little tongue in cheek but I'm bothered by how many points seem to be awarded on design, something the kids have next to no impact on, as compared to strictly the performance prowess exhibited by the kids on the field.

When I look at the competitive brass band circuits in the UK, the Black Dyke Band isn't awarded points by how well written and original Paul Lovatt-Cooper's latest piece is. They are judged on how well they performed it. I also like that there is one standard competition piece that each band must perform in addition to their own selections.

Alas, these are wishes that would never come true. As I get older, it just bothers me more and more that design seems to carries as much, if not more weight than the actual performance of the design. In my opinion, this only promotes the idea that you have to be "creative" and "new" which often results in WTF?

Edited by Medeabrass
  • Like 1

When I look at the competitive brass band circuits in the UK, the Black Dyke Band isn't awarded points by how well written and original Paul Lovatt-Cooper's latest piece is. They are judged on how well they performed it. .

Not to change the subject on you, but as an aside, has this Black Dyke Band in the UK ever thought about maybe.. you know... changing their name ? Jeez, maybe its an ok thing to be named this in the UK, as perhaps it doesn't take on the same slang connotations as it would here, but in the US, this name for a unit would get some raised eyebrows to say the least. Do you know what I'm saying here ?

Edited by BRASSO

Not to change the subject on you, but as an aside, has this Black Dyke Band in the UK ever thought about maybe, you know, changing their name?

The band is actually older than the slang term you're thinking of, which seems to have appeared no earlier than the 1920s. Dyke or dike means ditch or levee.

Hey BRASSO:

BRASSO, on 14 Jul 2014 - 2:31 PM, said:snapback.png

rainshdw08, on 14 Jul 2014 - 1:50 PM, said:snapback.png

As for the Cadets...sigh, they are just too boring for me this year, they don't get me excited. Yet, they will probably win because they are the Cadets. Like others have said in this thread...it doesn't matter how bad you are from one night to the next. If your BD, Cadets or Crown you have a shot, everyone else, you don't

How about you reply and STOP putting words in my mouth. Thanks man!

Not to change the subject on you, but as an aside, has this Black Dyke Band in the UK ever thought about maybe.. you know... changing their name ? Jeez, maybe its an ok thing to be named this in the UK, as perhaps it doesn't take on the same slang connotations as it would here, but in the US, this name for a unit would get some raised eyebrows to say the least. Do you know what I'm saying here ?

They were formerly known as the Black Dyke Mills band.