HIGHER, Faster, Stronger

yup...........plus the difference between a 100 point scale then, and essentially a 50 point scale today,.................

in the 70's it was a 105 point scale.

in the 70's it was a 105 point scale.

For at least a couple of years.

I think it went back to a 100-point scale in 1978. We (Sunrisers) were, IMO, a much better corps in '78 than 1977.... and our Finals score in '78 was more than three points lower than 1977.

For at least a couple of years.

I think it went back to a 100-point scale in 1978. We (Sunrisers) were, IMO, a much better corps in '78 than 1977.... and our Finals score in '78 was more than three points lower than 1977.

uummm may be. but i thought it was 81 when it got changed. but maybe after it was on TV about the scoring in 77 it got changed. 78 wa the new rules.

Pretty sure we were at 100 max in my rookie year in '79. Pretty sure Fran's good on the shift back to 100 in '78.

Thinking back, I'm pretty sure on the non tick captions the top box was usually 80-100 in that era. 80 was a major break point when I competed. You broke 80 in DCA in that era, you had to have a good, solid performance.

Also would somewhat explain the winning scores floating around 90. Middle of the top box, no reason to creep anything higher.

Many great comments in this thread. Many ideas, etc.

Somewhat off topic but in response to the one post about killing corps at the bottom rung at finals. I have to go back to 1988 in the DCA archives to find a top 10 finalist scoring below an 80 with one exception, 2011's Tampa Bay Thunder with a 78 and change. Bombing people at the bottom end of finals hasn't happened in DCA for quite some time.

The really interesting thing though is the DCI Open Class Corps. I looked at the numbers at their prelim contest and we're moving from 40's into the 80's there. A lot of 50's and 60's. Someone commented here I think that the Open Class corps wanted to be judged under World Class Sheets this year. I did look carefully at both of those sheets when DCI put them on line and the differences. The real question is, For the love of God, what were they thinking when they wanted to be judged on the World Class criteria? The differences are there. I thought Open Class DCI was all about teaching and skill development, and to leave the innovation and pushing everything to the absolute edge to World Class, and the sheets really reflected that difference in philosophy. Now there, we have a situation where something might not be as right as it could or should be. :wink:

Want to continue but work calls.

To kinda put this in context of the 100 point scale in the earlier days,..........here are some of Erie's scores in the 70's and early 80's for DCA finals:

1973 - 11th place - 59.90

1974 - 10th place - 54.64

1975 - 9th place - 68.03

1976 - 8th place - 73.60

1977 - 9th place - 75.75

1979 - 8th place - 67.95

1980 - 9th place - 68.70

1981 - 9th place - 58.90

Now mind you on today's 50 point scale a score of 70 then might get you an 85 today,......so again tics or not, it is all relative,..........or something,.....

Edited by Gary Matczak

To kinda put this in context of the 100 point scale in the earlier days,..........here are some of Erie's scores in the 70's and early 80's for DCA finals:

1973 - 11th place - 59.90

1974 - 10th place - 54.64

1975 - 9th place - 68.03

1976 - 8th place - 73.60

1977 - 9th place - 75.75

1979 - 8th place - 67.95

1980 - 9th place - 68.70

1981 - 9th place - 58.90

Now mind you on today's 50 point scale a score of 70 then might get you an 85 today,......so again tics or not, it is all relative,..........or something,.....

explain the 50 point scale to me. i missed that.

explain the 50 point scale to me. i missed that.

It simply means that the very bottom end of the judging scale is 50. Each subcaption has a bottom end of 50, at the bottom of the bottom box. So for a caption, say GE, the lowest possible score in a sub caption (composition or performer excellence) would be a 50, and the lowest in that caption overall a total of 100 (max of 200). In the old days, we'd call those a 5.0 or a 20.0, but DCA likes to take the decimals out.

I won't tell you how many edits it took me to make sure I got that right :)

Edited by Kamarag

It simply means that the very bottom end of the judging scale is 50. Each subcaption has a bottom end of 50, at the bottom of the bottom box. So for a caption, say GE, the lowest possible score in a sub caption (composition or performer excellence) would be a 50, and the lowest in that caption overall a total of 100 (max of 200). In the old days, we'd call those a 5.0 or a 20.0, but DCA likes to take the decimals out.

I won't tell you how many edits it took me to make sure I got that right :)

So... if your buses are running properly and you show up on time, you score at least a 50. :tongue:

I know... that isn't always the case....

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 2

No it wasn't Fran .Looking through the years at Dca prelium scores there some really low scores in there ,16th Kawarthe Kavailiers 40.263 1968-----following year 1969 bottom of preliums Lamplighters 41.800 jump ahead 10 years 1978 last place score Wind Gap Blue Eagles 47.150 jump another 10 years 1987 last place score 35.100 so don't know when the 50 .jumped in but I'm thinking 1989 after that no scores below a 50 .The last corps to score under 50 !988 Hersey Park Stadium ,was the Keystoners ,Milton ,Pa.

Edited by Florida Sun