Performers Showcase needs more performers

Other than the connection between System Blue and the BD, the BD performers only travel around 13 miles from their hotel to the site. Other interested corps might be too far away to justify the effort, cost, and time away from rehearsal.

I know some corps are two states over, and that sucks (for many reasons, not just this one). I've always been disappointed at the corps that wouldn't participate even if they were staying at the Showcase performance site.

BD used to not participate. I do not ever remember The Cadets, PR to name a few that have ever participated. The Cavaliers have participated in the past. I can imagine it is hard to find time to practice given what I can imagine the rigors of tour.

When was that? I know they've done it since the early 80's at least (I did it while a Devil).

I know some corps are two states over, and that sucks (for many reasons, not just this one)....

???

Two states over is either PA, TN, MO or IA.

The list on DCI.org all Indiana. The farthest seem to be Pacific Crest, which are almost in Illinois, and Mandarins, which are almost in Ohio.

BD used to not participate. I do not ever remember The Cadets, PR to name a few that have ever participated. The Cavaliers have participated in the past. I can imagine it is hard to find time to practice given what I can imagine the rigors of tour.

One Cadets ensemble participated in 1984. Phantom has participated many years (not sure about recently though).

???

Two states over is either PA, TN, MO or IA.

The list on DCI.org all Indiana. The farthest seem to be Pacific Crest, which are almost in Illinois, and Mandarins, which are almost in Ohio.

I apologize for not using the sarcasm font.

You have to understand that it's not easy for these kids to find time in the season to practice for the Performers Showcase. Free time is scant - during meal breaks, during EPL - and amidst 12-hour rehearsal days, playing MORE and relaxing LESS is probably the last thing most kids want. I'm impressed that there are as many Performers as there are each year. Truly, it takes copious diligence and dedication throughout the season to make today's annual event happen.

If only all corps allowed their kids to participate in this. It's sad to think that some directors would say no to kids that want another chance to perform!

(Contra this isn't directed at you, just using what you said in a statement, and i totally agree with what you said about Corps Directors.)

I get all that, but I still think everyone that wants to be there should be there. I know Guardling you said basically they were busy, which i understand too but I think this should be a priority.

In my opinion these young adults have worked hard to better their corps for the last 9 or 10 months, what's one day? Sure I know its finals but is one day really going to kill them? Yes, changes could be made in that one day and cleaning could be done but I feel lits unfair to the kids who wanna be there. For DCI its a total washout, this is/was supposed to be the best of the best day. Where a kid from say Oregon Crusaders or Lousiana Stars could beat another from a top 3 Drum Corps. Individuals and ensembles right? A chance for one person to shine, or be the best in what they do. If everyone doesn't compete, how can that person be the best?? How many of BD won yesterday again?? like 80% or more?

I'm a bit old school at times I know, which I will get crap for i'm sure. But were the days when everyone was there so bad?? When I marched my entire Corps was there, no we weren't all competing but it gave us a chance to root for others that were, maybe we got to see a side of them we didn't know. It gave us a chance to unwind a bit from the long tour. Gave us a chance to meet others from other Corps and make friends. If I rememeber right when we got home that evening we spent a few hours on the field but it was totally worth it.

IMO DCI needs to fix this day, because its broken. Nothing agaisnt BD but it was Performers Showcase sponsored by System Blue? Really DCI?

(Contra this isn't directed at you, just using what you said in a statement, and i totally agree with what you said about Corps Directors.)

I get all that, but I still think everyone that wants to be there should be there. I know Guardling you said basically they were busy, which i understand too but I think this should be a priority.

In my opinion these young adults have worked hard to better their corps for the last 9 or 10 months, what's one day? Sure I know its finals but is one day really going to kill them? Yes, changes could be made in that one day and cleaning could be done but I feel lits unfair to the kids who wanna be there. For DCI its a total washout, this is/was supposed to be the best of the best day. Where a kid from say Oregon Crusaders or Lousiana Stars could beat another from a top 3 Drum Corps. Individuals and ensembles right? A chance for one person to shine, or be the best in what they do. If everyone doesn't compete, how can that person be the best?? How many of BD won yesterday again?? like 80% or more?

I'm a bit old school at times I know, which I will get crap for i'm sure. But were the days when everyone was there so bad?? When I marched my entire Corps was there, no we weren't all competing but it gave us a chance to root for others that were, maybe we got to see a side of them we didn't know. It gave us a chance to unwind a bit from the long tour. Gave us a chance to meet others from other Corps and make friends. If I rememeber right when we got home that evening we spent a few hours on the field but it was totally worth it.

IMO DCI needs to fix this day, because its broken. Nothing agaisnt BD but it was Performers Showcase sponsored by System Blue? Really DCI?

personally ( and i mean personally...lol ) Ive never really cared for any of it BUT I can see where some might. See my experience was quite different. Marching or teaching I have never been with a group that the entire corps went ( not that i remember anyway...lol ) In fact I remember one corps I taught , a few kids going to watch 1 guard person .even then the entire corps had the option to go that 1 time and 90% chose to either walk around town or stay back at the school and sleep in.

I do see you point just maybe come from total different place. will one day make a difference? maybe maybe not, Usually at the end it's more about where one's head is. There are very few directors who want to support this or figure logistics or let some run off while others staying and working. There's more to it than letting a few kids run off I think. It's also ( for me ) a group activity. Now there's also been a lac of MMs even wanting to participate ( my experience anyway ) Im very sure there's the opposite for some corps also.

For those who want to participate , great for those who don't that's fine too.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1