Performers Showcase needs more performers

who cares who the best singer, best dancer, best saxophone player in DCI is? I meant something to be the best soprano, baritone, snare drummer.

Perhaps because people have, god forbid, other talents other than brass and percussion playing that they can showcase? It's just a fun competition that allows the musicians to show everyone what they can do apart from marching like pros on a football field. Woodwinds may not belong in DCI, but that doesn't mean that many corps aren't composed of players who came from playing a woodwind instrument.

Perhaps because people have, god forbid, other talents other than brass and percussion playing that they can showcase? It's just a fun competition that allows the musicians to show everyone what they can do apart from marching like pros on a football field. Woodwinds may not belong in DCI, but that doesn't mean that many corps aren't composed of players who came from playing a woodwind instrument.

Isn't that what community theater is for?

Isn't that what community theater is for?

I think the issue is that you're associating this with DCI. Other than getting sponsored, it really is just its own thing. It just so happens that kids from the corps decide to participate in it.

I think the issue is that you're associating this with DCI. Other than getting sponsored, it really is just its own thing. It just so happens that kids from the corps decide to participate in it.

I guess I am confused, I thought people were wondering why more corps members did not participate.

all the more reason NOT to bother. If in fact it has nothing to do with DCI then WHY? makes even less sense . This is a DCI week, drum corps...jmo,,,it would be like saying there's a music camp or whatever going on in INDY this week..lets go, or participate ...why? Then MMs are there for a reason , 1 reason. JMO

• Like 1

all the more reason NOT to bother. If in fact it has nothing to do with DCI then WHY? makes even less sense . This is a DCI week, drum corps...jmo,,,it would be like saying there's a music camp or whatever going on in INDY this week..lets go, or participate ...why? Then MMs are there for a reason , 1 reason. JMO

Maybe I'm not seeing the issue... I think it's nice to allow the mm's to get a chance to do something different than what they've been doing since May/June. Whether the corps allow the members to do it or not is up to them, but if there are people still willing to participate, why kill it? It's just another source of entertainment.

Maybe I'm not seeing the issue... I think it's nice to allow the mm's to get a chance to do something different than what they've been doing since May/June. Whether the corps allow the members to do it or not is up to them, but if there are people still willing to participate, why kill it? It's just another source of entertainment.

there's nothing wrong with it , IF in fact it's part of the DCI thing, If not, no point, Thes MMs are in Indy for a reason, 1 reason only. Corps do have the right to say no to their members and many do, although, as I have said there haven't been alot of MMs interested that i have seen over the years.

You have to remember , this isn;t a vacation for members and it's the big dance they have been working toward all season. IF a corps feels it benefits in some way, great ! if not, there's dozens of good reasons for sure. I onlyhad a few time with kids involved and it did cause a few problems, getting there, getting ready, focus, etc etc...wasn't really worth it , and it wasn't attended well either....

Many winter circuits have also done away with this type of event that was popular bitd.JMO

Edited by GUARDLING

there's nothing wrong with it , IF in fact it's part of the DCI thing, If not, no point, Thes MMs are in Indy for a reason, 1 reason only. Corps do have the right to say no to their members and many do, although, as I have said there haven't been alot of MMs interested that i have seen over the years.

You have to remember , this isn;t a vacation for members and it's the big dance they have been working toward all season. IF a corps feels it benefits in some way, great ! if not, there's dozens of good reasons for sure. I onlyhad a few time with kids involved and it did cause a few problems, getting there, getting ready, focus, etc etc...wasn't really worth it , and it wasn't attended well either....

Many winter circuits have also done away with this type of event that was popular bitd.JMO

good points, and your last response to me. The MM's are there for 1 reason and 1 reason only. 10000% get that. I was too.

Maybe DCI should just get rid of it all together? I dunno what they do with wednesday then though.

• Like 1

Why do Cadets never participate?

Hop and staff (and other corps staffs that take this stance) have said that it's a championship-week distraction and energy-drainer that is not consistent with putting the corps as a whole first when they're trying to max out the show and enjoy a last few days all together. There are times for Cadets in particular that members get these kinds of individual and small ensemble performance opportunities in clinics etc., so it's not like there's never a chance for members to "show their stuff." Cadets just don't want to be doing this championship week. As long as the policy is announced early to the corps--some corps it clear even at auditions--I think staffs are entirely justified in making this call.

• Like 1

BD used to not participate. I do not ever remember The Cadets, PR to name a few that have ever participated. The Cavaliers have participated in the past. I can imagine it is hard to find time to practice given what I can imagine the rigors of tour.

Phantom hasn't participated in it for years now.