What instruments are illegal to use in DCI?

Field artillery in the key of B-flat.

It's coming soon. :ninja:

If you get hit by field artillery, you will certainly B-flat.

• Like 2

On a side note on the grand piano thing: How awesome would it be to have a piano music based show with a grand piano and pianist to play it on the center of the field?

In such a case of the piano from the suggested sidelines, they're moving it, theyremovingit ? Thats better in your view, then removing it, theyremovingit ? I just want to be sure I'm getting it.

Edited by BRASSO

In such a case of the piano from the suggested sidelines, they're moving it, theyremovingit ? Thats better in your view, then removing it, theyremovingit ? I just want to be sure I'm getting it.

My brain hurts. I guess what you're asking is if it should be midfield in the sideline??? I think it would be even cooler to place it directly in the center of the field, like on the football team logo.

Are you sure it wasn't just, corps could pick one section per year to switch, starting that year? Or was it this specific order?

For the switch to two-piston brass in the late 1970s, it was specifically in that order. Sopranos in 1977, baritones in 1978, other voices in 1979.

When the third valve was added in 1990, corps were allowed to choose individually which voices to phase in when.

I'm too old to objectively respond to this topic. So, I'm going to take a nap instead.

I can't address the rest of your post because I didn't get past that first line.

I used to think like you, but I happen to have a talented 15 year old who wants to try out. At first I thought I could force myself to accept his "summer band" so long as he wanted to do it. He's a pretty harsh critic - last week was his 13th DCI finals - and if he wants to do "summer band" (what you and I used to call "drum corps"), then I'd support him. Then I began to realize that this was the point.

If the kids like it, and if they are getting the same (or better) experience that we did when we marched, isn't it essentially the same experience?

It could be. But so could a number of other youth activities.

Is your support and enjoyment all about you and your enjoyment?

For many in the fan base, it is.

But, if enough parents come to support their kids, then the stands will be full despite your refusal to "accept" woodwinds. There will be a constantly rotating group of MM's and fans to feed the activity and keep it alive.

No, actually, that is not true. And you of all people should know this. You can do the math - that is your specialty.

A typical show might have a thousand kids marching (i.e. seven mostly full corps). Maximum parental audience, therefore, would be 2000, a big step down from the status quo - and to get that, every single parent in DCI would have to tour as extensively as their kids. Could that even keep DCI alive? Not in its current form.

The fans - the ones who attend because of drum corps, not because of family involvement - are essential to supporting this activity. If a national touring activity for 100-plus member ensembles could be supported by a paying audience of just parents, we would already have a nationwide summer marching band circuit on a scale that dwarfs DCI.

And you have NO IDEA how these "summer bands" will use these new tools, so you can't possibly say you won't enjoy it (if you give yourself a chance to).

Actually, we have a pretty good idea how these tools will be used. They are used by thousands of scholastic marching bands in fall competitions, where most of the same designers and judges are involved.

So, in the end, your statement of a line the sand will end up affecting only you, and the activity will likely survive without you. And you may only end up depriving yourself of some great enjoyment in the process of taking a stand.

You cannot force people to enjoy something. If they do not enjoy marching band to begin with, then they will not be "deprived" of enjoyment for skipping marching band events.

Take myself as an example. I have nothing against marching band. I have occasionally attended such events, moreso when family members were involved. But the unbridled brass and percussion of drum corps is what makes my blood flow. That is what compels me to spend thousands of dollars each summer going to shows all over the place. Take away that unbridled brass/percussion, and you lose me as a fan.

On a side note on the grand piano thing: How awesome would it be to have a piano music based show with a grand piano and pianist to play it on the center of the field?

Not awesome at all, I prefer hearing a massive brassline front and center on the field as there are a ton of other opportunities to hear piano music

So what I don’t get, amps…we were sold on better, concert technique for the mallets and now with the dancing pits?

Oh yeah, that concert technique that is so vital now has a spin move, 4 count head bob, point to the sky and smile

Another one that makes me barf but about all brass is ‘the composer original intention’ . Seriously? Drum corps arrangements are in line with the composers’ original intention? So that’s why so many composers don't allow or pull copy writes?

and save your color and timbre talking points, don’t insult us

Ever get the feeling you’ve been cheated?

how many more lies?