Building Left Hand Chops

Why do I keep hearing in my mind "He LIVES !! My monster LIVES!!!"???

Thanks, Garfield. Now I'm going to have nightmares all night long...

Edited by HornTeacher

Why do I keep hearing in my mind "He LIVES !! My monster LIVES!!!"???

Thanks, Garfield. Now I'm going to have nightmares all night long...

Now DCI will have to considering enacting a "Dr. Frankenstein Rule" to keep track of the age of specific body parts and determine if transplants meet age-out status.

• Like 1

Yes, this is what we did when I marched to build left hand chops. All the exercises you know, start with the left hand leading off, and your goal is to match the quality of sound you have with the right hand leading off. It feels weird to start with the left, but do that a lot. Alternate one time right, one time left so you can hear the difference. It helps. Other than that, hours of drumming, but leading with the left is something that works.

This, and also play eights and double beats for hours on a feather pillow.

Page two of this thread needs to be archived for posterity.

You can used the skin removed from his hand as a taste test

Maybe fry it up with a little olive oil and some fava beans.

I've only seen a couple of recipes, and one of them worked out so well for the chef in the end.

Edited by garfield

Maybe fry it up with a little olive oil and some fava beans.

I've only seen a couple of recipes, and one of them worked out so well for the chef in the end.

I seem to recall that liver and a nice chianti go well with the fava beans.

I only hope to heck the young lady who was open to the hand transplant offer isn't named Clarice.

Does anybody have any tips/tricks/exercises etc. for building the left hand?

No tricks or shortcuts to better playing, on either hand. And the idea that a right-handed person is at a disadvantage regarding left hand technique is only valid up to a point, after which it becomes an excuse.

Whatever has worked for your right hand will work for your left hand, the general philosophy being that you should be able to play anything off of either hand with equal facility. Be sure to give equal time to both hands (perhaps giving greater attention to your left hand, since that's what you're trying to develop) as far as starting excercises, working on drills, grids and progressions that feature a "leading" hand, and every kind of rudiment in your skill repertoire. No need, imo, for any kind of special strenghtening excercises for your index finger, no need for finger curls, squeezing a rubber ball or anything like that. The actual act of playing will develop the strength you want/need if you do it correctly. Keep good contact between your thumb and index finger in your fulcrum and be sure to get a good range of motion in your wrist/forearm rotation. and play a lot - a lot.

No secrets - practice, get better. Good luck.

Fred O.

Edited by drumno5