Madison Scouts Cymbal Line Returns

1995 was the first time the Scouts cymbal line threw the cymbals. They did it again in 2000 I believe where they threw cymbals over the drumline as they rotated a form during a feature. My line, 1998, also threw cymbals during our I&E performance. Fun stuff, but risky. And I can tell you....a cymbal slipping through your hands and catching you in the shin is no bueno

And I can tell you....a cymbal slipping through your hands and catching you in the shin is no bueno

Not to mention a little bit north and a little bit more central than the shin. Now THAT smarts!

Edited by cf144

I have a question which is only partially off-topic...

I just watched (youtube) the Scouts' 1980 "Ice Castles." Was that a Jim Ott arrangement? Please...absolutely no disrespect is intended to the actual arranger if it wasn't...but it sure as heck sounds like something Ott would have done, and how he would have done it. It also occurred to me that hearing (live) the Scouts and Spirit (again, in '80...and yes, I am perfectly aware of what a tragic year it was for Spirit -- as well as the entire Drum Corps world) back-to-back would have been a sure-fire way to ensure permanent deafness.

I'm sorry for the partial off-topic question...just didn't know where to submit it.

Edited by HornTeacher
  • Like 1

I have a question which is only partially off-topic...

I just watched (youtube) the Scouts' 1980 "Ice Castles." Was that a Jim Ott arrangement? Please...absolutely no disrespect is intended to the actual arranger if it wasn't...but it sure as heck sounds like something Ott would have done, and how he would have done it. It also occurred to me that hearing (live) the Scouts and Spirit (again, in '80...and yes, I am perfectly aware of what a tragic year it was for Spirit -- as well as the entire Drum Corps world) back-to-back would have been a sure-fire way to ensure permanent deafness.

I'm sorry for the partial off-topic question...just didn't know where to submit it.

I am almost 100% certain it is an Ott arrangement. I remember hearing other alumn's say that it was or reading something that mentioned that he was the arranger for that tune. Pretty sweet arangement if you ask me. Not sure that he wrote the other songs in the 80 book though.

• Like 1

I am almost 100% certain it is an Ott arrangement. I remember hearing other alumn's say that it was or reading something that mentioned that he was the arranger for that tune. Pretty sweet arangement if you ask me. Not sure that he wrote the other songs in the 80 book though.

I think he wrote the whole book for 1980 Scouts. The whole thing is gorgeous from start to finish, and the layering and harmonic structures are just pure Ott.

Ott wrote the entire 1980 show. From my understanding, the traggic accident occurred on the way to spending time with the Scouts.