Where would he have gone?

Probably the corps that gave him the most creative freedom, but I do think LabMaster's theory is interesting. It may not be that far fetched. While the rivalry between 27th and BAC was deep and could at times be nasty, though what is accurate and what is urban legend could be debated, there was not a major love fest between 27th and Garfield when he switched ranks and I would imagine there was not a lot of love between Garfield or Cadets of Bergen County and Star when he started to work with Star. Today there are many former 27th Lancers and 27th fans who love BAC, so it's not inconceivable.

From one man's uninformed vantage point: if alive, I think Mr. Zingali would go wherever he could see his "vision" and ideas most accepted. That is not meant as an indictment upon his character; however, it is very clear that his background, reputation, and accomplishments would speak clearest for him, and would earn him first consideration onto the staff of any current Corps. As to who would give him the "free rein" befitting his resume? That's hard to say. One would think that most ANY corps would bend over backwards to have him on their staff. But politics and human nature being what they are.....

Edited by HornTeacher

I have a very different take on the sibling rivalries which TimK cites and my credentials for speaking is as one who was on staff at the time of the moves.

Although there was upsetment when Zingali went to Garfield, the move itself was a 27th administrative decision that was handed to George and not his conscious choice. Pride being what it was in many personalities involved, Lancers had to live with the consequences with Lancers' decisions although I do not contest that it was an appropriate decision given the details as they were.

When 27th folded, almost a busload of Lancers came to Cadets. I remembered being button holed by George B himself asking my assurance that "his kids" would find a home when marching maroon platoon; they were even allowed to keep some of their Lancer traditions amongst themselves quietly. In time they (Greenwells, McCarthy, Hart, etc .) became some of the most dedicated Cadets, Dave Roulier even being named DM for Cadets.

The Star shift was a more fluid situation which most people realized was forced by the financial situation of Cadets in the face of the multi-millions and perks that Cook Industries offered. If anything the move fostered the development of people such as Klesch, Sacktig, Aungst, Gilligan(Martinez), etc. to rise a bit sooner as creme of the crop. It is also interesting to note that the Star moves involved not only GZ, (Prime, VanDoren, Hannum) but led to a cadre of aging out Cadets getting teaching positions which benefitted the whole activity in time. Vanderkoff and Sabach are names that blossomed as contributors.

TimK...your bullypulpit is not accurate but is incomplete in this case.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1