DCA and DCI. Contrasts? Comparisons? etc.... blah blah blah.

Ooops Deb T was someone at work, got the names confused. Sue was a hoot too and always liked her, Not sure what was going on but she wanted to be known as TroutWOman for a while in the 70s. No idea how serious she was or did it just to tick off one of the male chauvaistic(sp) members. Her letting Tom wear her suit is not a surprise. Man forgot how long she was in the corps.

Ooops Deb T was someone at work, got the names confused. Sue was a hoot too and always liked her, Not sure what was going on but she wanted to be known as TroutWOman for a while in the 70s. No idea how serious she was or did it just to tick off one of the male chauvaistic(sp) members. Her letting Tom wear her suit is not a surprise. Man forgot how long she was in the corps.

She may have been the first female member

Sorry of the OT Cory but think Sue Sampson was in the corps pre-74 which meant she was probably the only female. Blanking out what females were in when we reformed in 74. Larry Peck brought in the Golden Sabers color guard so the guard was a mix. Not sure what year Sue Troutman joined but if any horn line females it was sops or mid voice. Drum line might have had Lauren Harper not sure when she joined.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

A couple of comments here to keep some perspective.

1: As i did say before, Tom was crazy, yeah, but I can't remember during my time a situation where he was causing any crazy visual or musical issues in a rehearsal. Even after the sawdust dive, the guy kept rolling on and we kept playing after a good laugh.

2: As I have said on the Westshore threads many times, Drum Corps did take place in the midst of the crazy. We did rehearse pretty hard, we worked very hard, played very hard. Easier to talk about the times people did stupid stuff or funny stuff than the time in Fairfax VA over July 4 when we did the parade, then rehearsed at the HS in 90+ degree weather and had 5 people drop in less than 2 minutes. I would have gone in the next 2 minutes had Eric K. not stopped the rehearsal and got us inside into the A/C gym for the next hour and a half/two hours and drilled us hard on fundamentals.

I don't exactly have an answer on this. Perhaps the shorter seasons, the fact everyone's doing very intricate shows, more efficiency--- I'd think people are still doing crazy things and having fun while they hang together and rehearse. I hope so. All work and no play, especially how hard every corps practices, I don't care who they are-- makes for dull morale and for a rather dull experience. I get enough of that at my workplace. Even there we all try and make things better than the drudgery of the tasks at hand. When we don't, it gets really testy and sad. :satisfied:

I haven't seen or met anyone capable of what Tom achieved in the way of loony behavior. I think he set THAT bar pretty high. I have a feeling that was confined to our days in the activity. Things have changed. I doubt for instance, that an entire bus bay is reserved for cases of beer, today. It just isn't accepted, like it was in our day. I could be wrong, but I think the activity is viewed differently not only by management, but by the younger members. I'm too far out of the loop to know for sure and I haven't been on a bus ride in years. I'd venture to say things HAVE changed, because society has changed. What say you, Big W?

I haven't seen or met anyone capable of what Tom achieved in the way of loony behavior. I think he set THAT bar pretty high. I have a feeling that was confined to our days in the activity. Things have changed. I doubt for instance, that an entire bus bay is reserved for cases of beer, today. It just isn't accepted, like it was in our day. I could be wrong, but I think the activity is viewed differently not only by management, but by the younger members. I'm too far out of the loop to know for sure and I haven't been on a bus ride in years. I'd venture to say things HAVE changed, because society has changed. What say you, Big W?

bus rides are changing

Well, by fun I don't necessarily mean beer.... I think the rides have changed mainly because everyone's pretty wiped out in part. Rehearse from X to Y, board the bus and knowing you're rehearsing X to Y when you get off the bus and that every show has more importance then it used to- I have a feeling everyone's too daggone tired to be up for much of the ride. I used to try and grab a good nights sleep when I could, and usually ended up with a bad case of bus face myself when I stumbled off for my standard 2 Egg McMothermuffins, Hash Brown, and a king size Coke for breakfast.

Efficiency is the norm rather than the exception today. Everyone knows how to teach more efficiently, hydrate more efficiently, schedule meals, feed people better food, and rehearse more efficiently. We helped develop those things that are taken for granted today.

The question might be how to have more fun efficiently within the parameters of the situation and not step on certain sensibilities that can't be stepped on anymore for sensible reasons. I think some corps seem to have worked that out pretty well, reading between the lines.

I think the 'kids' now in corps are more like us than different in the most important aspects. I'm sure they do stuff together, talk, hang out, forge those lasting friendships like we did and still do. They just have to watch certain parameters more then we did.

As for setting off large smoke bombs that were purchased from fireworks stands in mall parking lots that then proceeded to lay a massive smoke screen across a 4-lane highway, which I was an indirect participant... I think the kids now have more common sense, I HOPE.... We didn't mean to lay the smoke across US 15, we just wanted to set off the blasted smoke bomb and watch. We seriously forgot the wind has a factor in what happens with smoke bombs. I'm a baritone player, not a soldier. :satisfied:

To go with society changing, some of the stuff we sang in bus rides makes me cringe today. And it wasn't just the language...

.And remember ca 1978 two guys singing a song from another corps that were told to shut up.