Fracking Comes To Drum Corps

Your estimate of mileage is off by nearly a factor of three. A long drum corps tour these days is typically between 11,000 and 13,000 miles. Many corps operate less than 10,000 miles during the summer.

Oh, OK. I believe you're probably right.

A couple of seasons ago many here claimed that high fuel prices were going to cripple the activity and, obviously, that didn't happen. It's likely then that any expected decline in prices won't have a big impact either.

At least now I can ignore the "fuel fund" gas cans sitting on the souvie counters.

Does a corps have a choice? Thinking if a carrier takes a risk like this might not be in business too long.

Our fuel oil guy has a program like this (buy in bulk at current price in advance) but the understanding is this fuel is in storage somewhere so he is not risking losing money on the deal. From my understanding he does it to build up some cash before the heating season kicks and/or have the cash to start loading up fuel oil.

"Just lease me a bus, the maintenance, and a driver. I'll take care of fuel."

A few years ago we were pleased to have BD at our central Ohio show. When they rolled into town they were on Muskingum Coach buses. Why is that odd? Muskingum Coach in based in Coshocton, Ohio, just 70 miles away from our show site. When I was talking with a driver he confirmed that his crew had driven the buses from central Ohio to Concord to pick up the corps to start their tour. Then, after finals, they drove the corps back to CA, then turned around and drove empty back to central Ohio.

Somehow Muskingum had won that contract even with the extra 4000-odd miles to transition to CA.

Based on this poster's position in his corps, I trust his word on this subject. However, his corps tends to take a very timid tour up and down the Mississippi with not so many variations or wanderings compared to other finalist corps. I believe the "timidity" is actually a strategic business plan working for the corps thus far.

What you call timid, others call smart. We tour in the early season where our support network is the strongest. However, if our ultimate goal was to lessen the number of miles on tour, we could easily slice another 2000 miles off the tour without losing any shows.

It could be a significant dent towards purchasing new horns, uni, equipment, or even reducing tour fees.

On the subject of reducing tour fees: I would think this would be the last thing a corps would consider with the possibility of long-term lower gas prices.

While it's not the same for all corps, there are several who have lineups of potential marchers showing up for camp - all who realize the cost of current tour fees. Many of those potential marchers will not make the cut. Lowering tour fees will not change that. Lineups will continue so lowering tour fees really isn't necessary to attract talent.

Oh, OK. I believe you're probably right.

A couple of seasons ago many here claimed that high fuel prices were going to cripple the activity and, obviously, that didn't happen. It's likely then that any expected decline in prices won't have a big impact either.

At least now I can ignore the "fuel fund" gas cans sitting on the souvie counters.

Don't get me wrong. Any and all fuel savings are greatly appreciated and lessens the financial pressure on corps' extremely tight budgets.

A few years ago we were pleased to have BD at our central Ohio show. When they rolled into town they were on Muskingum Coach buses. Why is that odd? Muskingum Coach in based in Coshocton, Ohio, just 70 miles away from our show site. When I was talking with a driver he confirmed that his crew had driven the buses from central Ohio to Concord to pick up the corps to start their tour. Then, after finals, they drove the corps back to CA, then turned around and drove empty back to central Ohio.

Somehow Muskingum had won that contract even with the extra 4000-odd miles to transition to CA.

I've gone through the bidding process for bus contracts many times, and one of the great mysteries of the industry is exactly what you describe here. The lowest bids almost never come from a local (even using an extremely liberal definition of local) company. Deadheading a couple thousand miles is seemingly nothing for a tour that runs 60+ days.

Well if you want to put it that way. :tounge2: Takes away the risk to the bus company which should make then happy.

Wonder how the OH-CA-OH milage compared to the whole tour. And how the bus company handled the hours a day on the road by the drivers. Edit: and how much weight difference there is between a full and empty bus and effect on mileage.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I've gone through the bidding process for bus contracts many times, and one of the great mysteries of the industry is exactly what you describe here. The lowest bids almost never come from a local (even using an extremely liberal definition of local) company. Deadheading a couple thousand miles is seemingly nothing for a tour that runs 60+ days.

Deadheading both ways is 5000 miles, or nearly a third of the total tour miles you describe above. But its probable that the corps paid for the equipment and drivers FOB: Coshocton, OH.

Still, maintenance and driver time are fixed tour costs. Fuel is the only variable, and I'm convinced that many contracts are written "wet" regardless of the fuel price trend. When an increase is expected it should be a "wet" contract. When stable to lower prices are expected, the contract should be "dry".

I wonder how many contract are negotiated by corps people who choose the convenience of returning a rental car half empty and agree to pay the inflated refill costs of the rental company.

Your estimate of mileage is off by nearly a factor of three. A long drum corps tour these days is typically between 11,000 and 13,000 miles. Many corps operate less than 10,000 miles during the summer.

I looked at Jersey Surf's schedule earlier - they have 19 stops (6 less than Blue Devils, for comparison), and if you drove door to door for each competition (i.e - without factoring in mileage between accommodations and events, detours, free day trips, etc.) - there and back again from their base in NJ is under 7,000 miles.

Most corps would be much better off paying down debt and otherwise shoring up their balance sheets than reducing tour fees or splurging on new equipment. It's not the nice option (cut tour fees) or the sexy option (new stuff), but its the smart option.

I don't disagree with this, although a surprising few number of corps have debt. Leaving it in cash would certainly shore up the balance sheet, but to what extent?

In advocating for the devil here, wouldn't a new (for example) ipad sound board controller allow the possibility of a higher placement that might add placement revenue in future years? Or how about paying up for an arranger or staff member? Can the cash be used accretively to help attain a better placement and payout next year? Not to mention the possible increase in member tryouts due to higher placement...

Edited by garfield