Fracking Comes To Drum Corps

Interesting G, but let's see what happens when the politicians get involved and how OPEC (Saudi Arabia) handles those possibilities. If it does happen, a great assist will be for the lower placing WO and most OC corps to compete in several more shows.

OPEC just agreed to keep producing at normal levels. They realize if they cut production and raise prices, people would buy from us and they would lose out

Of course, Garf, if gas does descend to $2 per gallon, what will happen to that $56K?

I have already seen the social sites of some of DCI directors ruminating on just this topic...

It would be nice if $56k were divided by 150 so that the membership fees would drop $373 per member, or essentially one plane fare for a winter camp; and perhaps greater accessibility for more students to participate in the activity.

But there have also been brass instructors rumbling how to out do Madison's 48 contras/tubas, and how many horns that might buy.

And those designers could splurge $56K for props even to surpass those BD, Cadets, Blue Stars, Coats and Crown cash outs..

Since it's DCP, and the season to be nice, I won't even mention how many synths and additions to the front ensemble those perc guys dream about like sugarplums in their beds.

$56K new found dollars, just where will they go???

Edited by xandandl

So you didn't trust the reports you read in 2008 that said gas prices could reach $4?

Lincoln Navigators were all the rage at the time. Hummers, too, as drivers refused to believe that gas prices could reach $4/gal.

Your viewpoint would make it tough for you to negotiate a "wet" lease for tour buses, I'm afraid.

Yes - you are right.

Edited by Lincoln

Thanks X.. totally forgot about the US producers (which is not what the article is about but got me thinking) .... Any corps based in oil producing areas or have money coming from that industry?

Geez forgot about it and PA was the first home of the petroleum industry.

Just thought of ye olde Twin City Lancers (Jr) from Franklinville/Oil City, PA.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Of course, Garf, if gas does descend to $2 per gallon, what will happen to that $56K?

I have already seen the social sites of some of DCI directors ruminating on just this topic...

It would be nice if $56k were divided by 150 so that the membership fees would drop $373 per member, or essentially one plane fare for a winter camp; and perhaps greater accessibility for more students to participate in the activity.

But there have also been brass instructors rumbling how to out do Madison's 48 contras/tubas, and how many horns that might buy.

And those designers could splurge $56K for props even to surpass those BD, Cadets, Blue Stars, Coats and Crown cash outs..

Since it's DCP, and the season to be nice, I won't even mention how many synths and additions to the front ensemble those perc guys dream about like sugarplums in their beds.

$56K new found dollars, just where will they go???

Ahh, finally, the meat of what I was hoping the thread would produce.

I don't particularly care whether anyone agrees with the report I quoted (I, personally, absolutely agree with every word of it), I'd like to know what will happen if it's right. From save some corps to help others buy unis... What could each corps do with a windfall such as that?

(Don't forget, many smaller corps don't travel the number of miles in the example, so the dollar savings would be less while no less important.)

Sorry Lincoln, I've come to trust the sources I read because I've been weeding out crap for 30 years. So, yes, I believe we're going to see SIGNIFICANT reductions in tour fuel costs over the next several years and, well, for many, many more. So, I'm personally convinced it bears discussion. Corps are about to get a pay raise for touring. What impact might those numbers have on the activity? Each corps?

Just saw on NBC News that some US energy folks feel that OPEC might be low balling the price to try to drive some US producers out of the market. And after that they will have more power. IOW - enjoy it while you can.

J D Rockefeller would be proud as that was one of his early tricks in the oil game......

PS - PA governor who is a real buddy to the fracking industry lost his election (first gov in decades not to be re-elected) so things might change in one of the big fracking states.

Edited by JimF-LowBari