Woodwind Switching Instrument

Ah I see, thank you! I do realize that I won't be getting placed in the top of the section, I'm just hoping to get placed in the section. I'll take the melody part out since I think I worded it poorly :)

I have nothing to add other than I love your name. Pidget.

• Like 1

I have nothing to add other than I love your name. Pidget.

Thank you :), I got it off my my CompSci final.

Thank you for the tips ^-^, sorry if I sound too needy but where would you find brass books and what are they? I'm guessing that they are the actual music but I'm not 100% sure.

I'm old school, so I'd start with the Arban's Method. It comes for trumpet or trombone/baritone and is still available most anywhere. I'm sure there will be other more modern suggestions.

• Like 1

I'm old school, so I'd start with the Arban's Method. It comes for trumpet or trombone/baritone and is still available most anywhere. I'm sure there will be other more modern suggestions.

Hah! Don't worry. Arban is precisely as relevant today as he was a century ago (if not moreso).

Pidget, The books to which I was referring were the corps' exercise books, which are generally consistent year to year (assuming the brass staff stick around) and can be found with a little digging on their website. Though I totally agree, if you want an exercise book that will help you be a brass player, Arban is the way to go.

• Like 4

Hah! Don't worry. Arban is precisely as relevant today as he was a century ago (if not moreso).

Pidget, The books to which I was referring were the corps' exercise books, which are generally consistent year to year (assuming the brass staff stick around) and can be found with a little digging on their website. Though I totally agree, if you want an exercise book that will help you be a brass player, Arban is the way to go.

Thank you so much for clearing that up ^-^. I just have another question, I currently only have a mouthpiece and could I possibly do Arban Exercises with only a mouthpiece and maybe like down the road get a trumpet or should I get one now?

Ah I see, thank you! I do realize that I won't be getting placed in the top of the section, I'm just hoping to get placed in the section. I'll take the melody part out since I think I worded it poorly :)

A while back someone on BD brass staff did an analysis & determined the most difficult parts (range, rhythm, etc) in the entire horn line were actually the 2nd sopranos (the bugle version of a trumpet).

Small horns are OK, but low brass kicks a**.

The other concern to take into consideration if you're going to pick up a new instrument from scratch is how many other players you'll be competing against for a spot. Since it is not your first instrument, and you will be auditioning against other players for whom it IS their first and only instrument, you may not want to throw yourself into the line that has an abundance of auditonees from which to choose because you might not make the cut. I'm not saying that every corps marches 24 trumpets and turns away 12 more, but you might find more openings for a mellophone player instead.

From where I stand, this is VERY wise and appropriate counsel for you (the OP, I mean).

Edited by HornTeacher

Thank you so much for clearing that up ^-^. I just have another question, I currently only have a mouthpiece and could I possibly do Arban Exercises with only a mouthpiece and maybe like down the road get a trumpet or should I get one now?

Uhhhh....get one NOW, if that is your final placement decision. It might not necessarily mean buying one: check around with friends/family/neighbors...kids are quitting all the time, and there are times that a formerly-used horn ends up being thrown in the bottom of a closet, not seeing the light of day for years, and eventually forgotten. You might strike upon a very fortuitous short-term lending agreement...or if even luckier, a "cut-rate" purchase price (just so the owner can get the danged thing off his hands). Even if you don't end up sticking with it, you can always make a very treasured and well-appreciated donation to your local school district.

Edited by HornTeacher