93 Star vs. 88 Madison

93 Star vs. 88 Madison  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Which show do you prefer, 93 Star or 88 Madison

I am well aware of Cadets' program that year; Jackson was my last full tour with them. The percussion debacle, fostered by a Cadet alum on that panel, has too discolored my lenses to see it otherwise than the political imposition on a number of quality programs. I stick with my statement.

I am not directly familiar with the "percussion debacle" in 1993?? Looking at historical scores on from the press box I am seeing that Cadets were winning late in the season but lost the caption to Star on finals night. Please educate me.

Edited by Sideways

I think when one looks at these very different shows you have to ask yourself , are you looking at it through 1993 eyes or 88 eyes or 2015 eyes. Ones answer can be very very different then.

As with most things also subjective.

I'm looking at it from 2015 eyes, no doubt. In 1993 I was not a fan of Star, but I honestly wasn't that big of a fan of 1988 Scouts either (I liked SCV a lot better in 88). In 1993 I honestly don't know what I would've said: the drummer in me would've chosen Star 1993 in a heartbeat over Scouts 88: I still think that 1993 percussion section was one of the best ever. The general drum corps fan in me would've likely chosen Scouts 88 as it would've been more tolerable to sit through to me than Star 1993.

But I don't think that 88 show has aged well (as most most have not either) while Star 1993 has.

• Like 2

Scouts
Scouts was a much better live show than Star, this is where the video lies. it fails to pick up the GE and impact of Scouts performance and gives a lot more GE to Star than what was on the field
I saw both live and the feeling after Scouts was much different than after Star. Scouts gave it up; it’s what I want from live drum corps, a punch in the face.
Most the people that gush on Star 93 never saw it live; from the stands it was pretty boring where only the first half of Scouts 88 was boring

Really? I loved Concerto for Guitar and Jazz Orchestra.

• Like 2

Really? I loved Concerto for Guitar and Jazz Orchestra.

I agree!

It's a remarkable piece, especially if you consider that Paul Hart wrote it in about the same amount of time as it took Gershwin to write the first version of Rhapsody in Blue, about 2 weeks.

The finals night performance did have it's issues in brass, but as others have pointed out, the top 5 in '88 all had music issues. Malaguena was hot that night, which didn't hurt the corps.

The people that were around in 93 and for 88 by and large have moved on. So they don't count . But if the ones that saw both shows live were around today and were included

In this poll, ' 88 Madison would win this current poll today , imo .,. even today . I believe the judges got both placements right. I do think that Star '93 however is in the top 5 for best 2nd

Place performances. As for what " kind of shows" do we prefer, I don t understand the question, so can't answer it. I like lots of variety generally however .Thus, I liked both shows about equally well, but if pushed to choose, I suppose I' d give the edge to '88 Madison as they were not ranked in the top 4 early that early summer season, but really turned it in at Finals with their performance and won over both the large Finals crowd as well as the judges for a convincing win.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

The people that were around in 93 and for 88 by and large have moved on. So they don't count .

They don't count? Also, are you sure they've all moved on?

They don't count? Also, are you sure they've all moved on?

. No .,,, I did not state above that " they 've ALL moved on " . Heck, I'm still here . They don"t count in the poll however as many of the ones that saw both these shows live no longer follow DCI . That's a guess and just speculation of mine of course, but that's my sense with those that were around to see both shows live in both '88 and '93, Edited by BRASSO

One thing that can never be taken away from Star ' 93 Finals performance that endears themselves to so many current newer fans is that this powerful and emotional petformance was done entirely without any narration, props of any kind, amplification, etc and yet has stood the test of time.,, even with fans of DCI that were not yet born in ' 93 . That in itself is amazing and a worthwhile lesson to learn from this, imo

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1