Criticizing the "Kids"

So basically, to summarize..... we all here agree that :

a) the DCP criticisms of individual performers,... ie " the kids " as the topic title implies... in DCI is exceedingly rare here on DCP.

B) Those rare instances where there is criticisms of a performer, the performer remains nameless in that rare occurance as well.

C) we are discussing a topic....ie criticisms of " the kids "... that is exceedingly rare and hard to find here on DCP.

d) DCI performers are subjected to far less criticisms than most amateur athletes their age when performing in DCI.

I assume we all agree with these 3 essential points to be derived so far from the commentary ( before we got sidetracked on commentary that seems unrelated to the topic, ie criticisms of " the kids " here on DCP)

Brasso - please stop with the "we all here agree" point of view. You have no consensus to draw on.

You have used it before and it has no merit.

• Like 2

So basically, to summarize..... we all here agree that :

a) the DCP criticisms of individual performers,... ie " the kids " as the topic title implies... in DCI is exceedingly rare here on DCP.

B) Those rare instances where there is criticisms of a performer, the performer remains nameless in that rare occurance as well.

C) we are discussing a topic....ie criticisms of " the kids "... that is exceedingly rare and hard to find here on DCP.

d) DCI performers are subjected to far less criticisms than most amateur athletes their age when performing in DCI.

I assume we all agree with these 4 essential points to be derived so far from the commentary ( before we got sidetracked on commentary that seems unrelated to the topic, ie criticisms of " the kids " here on DCP)

here i'll criticize a performer for ya

in 96, there was this top bass drummer in Westshore named Jeff Ream....big roll right after the Explosion drum solo, and the ####### idiot over hyped it and was louder than the 7 man snare line. Judge called him out by name ( judge knew him). happened at the Barnum show

oh wait I just criticized myself and broke a DCP rule LOL

• Like 2

look...

whats the point of a chat forum if people cant talk about likes or dislikes?

ok so some people, even myself at times, may get crazy venting about our dislikes. doesn't make it an attack.

Not unless JLC himself were to be here to shout "Bayyyyooooonnnnetttttsssssss!!!!" (Sorry..."Gettysburg" lover, here.)

Edited by HornTeacher

in 96, there was this top bass drummer in Westshore named Jeff Ream....big roll right after the Explosion drum solo, and the ####### idiot over hyped it and was louder than the 7 man snare line. Judge called him out by name ( judge knew him). happened at the Barnum show

. My guess, and its a good lesson here perhaps, you were more embarrassed by what you did, and among your Corps other marchers that day, than anything that could have been posted on DCP by some anonymous crank... and DCP wasn't even around then in '96.

I think we are essentially discussing an issue on DCP, , ie criticisms of" the kids", that is neither much of an issue with " the kids " in DCI, nor an issue with DCP, for that matter.

Is it October yet ( lol!)

look...

whats the point of a chat forum if people cant talk about likes or dislikes?

ok so some people, even myself at times, may get crazy venting about our dislikes. doesn't make it an attack.

People could, not a problem. Its just , who cares?..lol for me anyway i would hope what i have to say might be accepted or at least helpful as well some others do as well.You have to admit there have been some that have an agenda with nothing to do with a topic. We have had this discussion before often privately and you know what i mean my friend. There's plenty of attacking on all forms of social media. I just find it interesting that we think so much of our opinions to share it with the world. it's today I suppose. How many people post what they are eating at a restaurant with a pic. Who cares?

I do think it doesnt have to be all roses but I do think there are plenty of ways to get a point across and I admit also I can slip. If I as a poster really has a concern I would think sending it off the the right source is best but we also know with some its just about hearing themselves.

For here I think bottom line is "Kids " do take plenty of criticism but need to listen to who is standing in front of them or move on. Critiques are something we do all live with and need to separate where and who it is coming from, especially since we are in a world now that because of the internet anyone can have an opinion. Not just talking about here.

Edited by GUARDLING

Brasso - please stop with the "we all here agree" point of view. You have no consensus to draw on.

You have used it before and it has no merit.

So Lincoln... rather than demand a " stop " why not simply tell us which of the 5 you do not agree with, and tell us why you are in disagreement with my attempt at consensus on these 5 points . I THOUGHT we had agreement and consensus on these 5. You don't. Fine. As for my 5 points having " no merit " regarding consensus, you just posted a comment on " TED " something or other that has" no merit," nor understanding on ANYTHING connected either to this topic, nor to DCI.

So rather than be snarky with a " STOP " sign request, why don't you " GO " with the one or the ones, that you are still in disagreement with,..and tell us why.. This is how I believe discussion should " proceed " with this.

Edited by BRASSO

No...the judge broke a rule. Yes, judges get to know the performers. But in my eyes, there still must be a sense of separation between the adjudicator and the performer --- just as in the military, there is a separation between the Officer and the enlisted man. Sorry...just the way I was brought up, and thus, the way I still feel. (By the way, every year in our local large-scale competition, we have judges who know many of us directors -- sometimes even, on a personal level. However, on pageant day, the tapes are always created with "the director" in mind. No first names....no last names...just "the director this, the director that."

EDITED: Sorry...I missed your "LOL" at the end of the post. Apparently you were speaking in sarcasm...and just as obviously, I missed it. Mea Culpa.

Edited by HornTeacher

So Lincoln... rather than demand a " stop " why not simply tell us which of the 5 you do not agree with, and tell us why you are in disagreement with my attempt at consensus on these 5 points . I THOUGHT we had agreement and consensus on these 5. You don't. Fine. As for my 5 points having " no merit " regarding consensus, you just posted a comment on " TED " something or other that has" no merit," nor understanding on ANYTHING connected either to this topic, nor to DCI.

So rather than be snarky with a " STOP " sign request, why don't you " GO " with the one or the ones, that you are still in disagreement with,..and tell us why.. This is how I believe discussion should " proceed " with this.

I have no idea how to reply to this.. This has been the weirdest off-season, pre-season and current season that I can remember for the past 12 years.

Edited by Lincoln

I suspect.. and believe.. that any " kids " marching in DCI that are reading, or will read, this thread are laughing out loud at how ridiculous adults can be when they think college aged " kids " can't handle what is said here on DCP. Even when a DCP poster makes up a rude comment that has no basis in reality as far as we know, and we adults might not appreciate that falsified concoction, the" kids " in such Corps most likely laugh off those absurd concoctions, criticisms, that pop up on DCP from time to time. And again, most comments on here are rather complimentary and positive regarding the Corps, imo.

Edited by BRASSO