Tour of Champions Chester- Official Thread 7/30

23khde1.jpg

This.

• Like 2

Bluecoats:

Holy crap.

Like wow.

This show live is five thousand times better than any video online, and I've seen them all. The stereo effects in the opener are amazingly well done, combining both the satellite speakers and acoustic directional panning. The mellophone feature in Shaker Loops and the tuba and trumpet features in Electric Counterpoint are all stereo, with hocket phasing throughout.

There is a ton of synth goo, but it's so well designed that unless you're listening closer to the synth than the corps, it's impossible to tell that it's goo.

Lots of micro changes in the front ensemble book, most notably in Woods, all of which I think have improved the song.

The brass is very brass-y. This isn't good or bad, although my personal preference is for a cleaner sound. Their intonation is great, I couldn't detect any holes in the sound.

The percussion is very tight, with the exception of the groove section right before the double tonguing feature in Shaker Loops. One day of cleaning will fix that. Mr. Maps could use some work too, but it's almost there. Micro tear from the quads to the snares right before the brass entrance for Dens, but not terrible.

The biggest problem with the show is setup. There was almost two full minutes of pause before the first note while electronics issues were worked out. I'm almost certain they will incur a penalty tonight. I hope that they can figure this out, because I honestly think a penalty might be the only thing holding this corps back from a title.

• Like 1