Tour of Champions Chester- Official Thread 7/30

This year, there just isn't one show that "has it all" —the best show I've seen in recent history that would have that was Angels & Demons.

At this (exact) point in the season, it is clear that there are four corps that are, on any given night, worthy of the gold medal. How "clean" each of them are quite literally depends on how heavily you factor in each of their respective show styles, and who is judging. The level of difficulty and proficiency for each of these corps is so high that any of them could win the gold and there would be great support for them. But the judges have seen these shows so many times now that they are watching and listening for the previous mistakes, and either you're able to fix them or you're not.

Personally, I think the recent growth of the activity, and the obvious closeness of scores in general, tells me that the diversity of approaches is making the entire activity better. I mean, there are four elite corps right now that are not named Cavaliers, Regiment or Vanguard—three of the biggest brand names in the activity. And you see Blue Knights creeping into that arena, and you also see Cascades making their own unique impression as a new corps.

Finals week I am hoping for three nights, three different champions!

For those that have taken to the stop-watch aspect of judging visual movement and music to compare demand, etc, below is a little something I wrote after the Nightbeat Show. To my eyes and ears it explains what I think is so magical about the Blue Devils and their design.

--------------------------------------------------------------

"BD was spectacular, as always! They march well, stage well, integrate the guard well, and they play well (perc and brass). No real weaknesses. At times this particular show is cluttered for my taste, but most of the time I find it another display of how well BD can show so many visual concepts in one show. That's the key with them. It's a variety of visual displays mixed with music. They've got it down to a science.

I love that they are parking for a lot of the show this year. Some hate it or think it's easy. But they setup these beautifully staged hit points in the show, some completely standing still, others only with slight motion, and they let the brass wail as they deliver high GE Music impact from a visual set that is allowed to breath and be fully digested by the audience. It somewhat reminds me of the old concert number days from the 70s and early 80s. We used to love them. BD 84 for example (La Fiest, Maynard Ferguson style). Go tell me how many corps could play that standing still. Those were often the best moments of the show. Now days we make fun of it, call it easy. We spend too much time calculating how much a corps moves or how many notes they play, and not enough thought is put into expression, musicality, power, range, rhythmic demand, and overall presentation. There is nothing easy about playing the way BD does, even when they are parked. So when they showcase their brass like that (or percussion), in stand-still or slight-motion, they exhibit some of the best sounds, articulations, and musical impacts in the business. That definitely generates GE.

Those that compare them to a corps that moves more must be objective enough to ask the question "yes, my favorite corps might move more and play just as much, but does it sound as good?" Perhaps with a corps like Cadets or Crown this year it comes darn close and at times sounds as good (both are top 3 corps). Bluecoats too. But the bigger point is that the Blue Devils make some things so obvious, like my example above, that we knock it for its' so called visual "ease," or we say things like "it lacks simultaneous demand." What we should be doing is listening. When the music gets to that level, judges don't care about simultaneous demand. That is overblown for sure. Most of the other corps couldn't stand still and play that good, and when they try to move faster and end up playing sloppy and average, what's the point?

Great stuff BD. :)"

- jwillis35

• Like 1

Yes. It's an understatement to say we are incredibly proud of her. It's hard to believe she made The Cadets back when she was 15. What's harder to believe is she's aging out this year. Time flies by way too fast. I'm so grateful she was able to be part of such an incredible organization.

Congratulations on raising a daughter with so much talent and a quest for hard work & perfection! Bravo.

• Like 1

Hey everyone.. I did the stopwatch experiment just to answer a question.. posed by a friend. I love how many of you jacked it up and tried to make it sound like I was making some kind of statement. I wasn't. but ya jacked it up anyway, and then replied to me expecting me to defend something. you guys are seriously a bunch of button pushers!! :) just take it on face value. I timed 'em out of curiosity, nothing more. Let it go.

Listen, listen, this is DCP. Making claims about who plays & marches the most ought to come with a trigger warning, in these here parts, because it's certain to rile *someone* up unnecessarily -- in part because it implies that marching + playing the most = having the hardest show = being most deserving of higher scores or audience affection (debatable); in part because they ALL work hard and this feels like unnecessary and incredibly imprecise hair-splitting re: who works the hardest (extremely true). It's not you, it's us; but it's kinda you, too, because it's a sensitive subject.

Edited by saxfreq1128

Listen, listen, this is DCP. Making claims about who plays & marches the most ought to come with a trigger warning, in these here parts, because it's certain to rile *someone* up unnecessarily -- in part because it implies that marching + playing the most = having the hardest show = being most deserving of higher scores or audience affection (debatable); in part because they ALL work hard and this feels like unnecessary and incredibly imprecise hair-splitting re: who works the hardest (extremely true). It's not you, it's us; but it's kinda you, too, because it's a sensitive subject.

It does come with a trigger warning: ME :ninja:

For those that have taken to the stop-watch aspect of judging visual movement and music to compare demand, etc, below is a little something I wrote after the Nightbeat Show. To my eyes and ears it explains what I think is so magical about the Blue Devils and their design.

. . . It somewhat reminds me of the old concert number days from the 70s and early 80s. We used to love them.

Thanks for reposting that. Did you notice that I had referenced your comments (in post #523)?

• Like 1

Thanks for reposting that. Did you notice that I had referenced your comments (in post #523)?

I must not have seen that one. Thanks. I was getting tired of people beating up BD because they somehow have an easy visual program (which they do not).

• Like 1

I'm a bit late to the party here but wanted to provide a brief look at the 7 corps on Thursday night. I was about half way up on the 35 yard line. Great venue--beautiful evening. Acoustics quite loud with the overhanging roof--thought this caused drums/pit to be a bit overpowering at times though. Might not have been the best blend. Nevertheless, GREAT show by all corps!

Crown--Most energy of any show of the night I thought. Well deserved win in the GE caption. I was deeply engaged the whole time. Brass is outstanding as usual with extremely impactful/dark first half of show. Great staging in first half with nearly all drill while playing (to my memory) taking place on the front half of the field. Really creates an engaging, dark, and intense feel.

SCV--Some excellent drill here. Not a fan of the music book. The effect of having the props light up at the end along with all the performer's sashes is quite neat. Probably my least favorite offering from SCV in the last several years. Just doesn't work for me.

Phantom--Someone find the 2010 staff and bring them back please! I continue to yearn for Phantom to bring back their shows like Into the Light, On Air, etc. with the great intertwining of excellent classical music arrangements, stunning visuals, and really engaging shows. Unfortunately, while the 2015 edition has some nice aspects, it isn't all that cohesive. The second half (Especially the end) are the strongest parts in my opinion. The music book is quite listenable and seems to far outclass the visual design. Once again (Felt this way last few years), the visual design just doesnt really flow or go with the music. Hope that Phantom can figure out how to provide an enhanced product in future years.

Cavies--Really continue to see their resurgence. Entertaining show with some great visual design and music. Like the flow of it.

Bluecoats--Cutting edge once again. They've done TILT and upped the technology. The sound design (when it works) is awesome and I think really adds a neat component to the show. The idea of looping and manipulating the sound of the hornline is ingenious (And no doubt controversial). However, I really love the avenue they've taken recently. THe show grooves so much. Best flow of any show I think. Captures you immediately and takes you along for a great ride, especially musically.

Blue Devils--Most accessible show of the last many years I'd say. Didn't totally work for me from an effect standpoint (scores showed this too). The music book is SICK with some phenomenal execution as well, especially in the trumpets. Also my favorite BD drill in the last many years. Not my favorite but certainly polished and well done!

Cadets--Much discussion of black uniforms on the forums. I have to say I thought it looked outstanding in person! I also love the different feels they create musically throughout the show. They may do it the best of any show this season. Their drill is nuts (but not clean). Their music book is great with obviously excellent source material.

Overall, BD, Crown, Cadets all have a shot of winning in Indy IMO. Think Bluecoats finish no lower than 4th but don't think they could win--seems like other corps are just too polished at this point. EIther way, what a PHENOMENAL season for DCI. ALl of the kids are extremely talented and there are so many great show designs. Going to be a great final week!