Carolina Crown 2016

I tear up as the activity moves further away from music and motion and more into a design based product that checks off boxes on a GE sheet. The corps are great this year but it's going in a direction that will leave emphasis on drill and music far behind and be replaced with props, storylines, and god knows what.

The new era will be focused on original compositions and show designs generated by the marching members themselves-- a much more authentic and genuine artistic endeavor.

Edited by Channel3

The new era will be focused on original compositions and show designs generated by the marching members themselves-- a much more authentic and genuine artistic endeavor.

I think there is more MM input now than we think and that's good. I don't like the required deep analytical construction that seems to be popular now.

I would have to agree. As much as I love the Phantom of the Opera, Les Miseables, West Side Story shows, I think when a show really clicks on it's own without a popular storyline to guide it, the true beauty of drum corps is shown at its best.

I think there is more MM input now than we think and that's good. I don't like the required deep analytical construction that seems to be popular now.

It's s only there for those who appreciate it - - judges, show coordinators, designers and performers.

Edited by Channel3

I think Crown is firmly in the middle of traditional and new while maintaining their own style and creating something new and engaging for the audience year after year. I love Bloo and BD as well for their radical approaches, but Crown feels the most traditional to me without being too old school to feel outdated.

• Like 2

I think Crown is firmly in the middle of traditional and new while maintaining their own style and creating something new and engaging for the audience year after year. I love Bloo and BD as well for their radical approaches, but Crown feels the most traditional to me without being too old school to feel outdated.

I agree. 10 yrs ago Crown was called bando. Now they are their own thing with a nice mix of everything.

• Like 1

This is a video that I had downloaded from FB in 2012. All I can remember is that for some reason Crown was rehearsing really early in the morning (like 3am) in Bloomington. If any other Crownies remember more details (like why?) feel free to add on. Anyway more Crown HYPE !

I wasn't clear on it at the time either, but I think it had something to do with a similar rehearsal that Star had back in the 90s. I remember this being significant to some of the Crown staff. Great show- one of my all time favs

• Like 1